Brady Tkachuk
Matthew Tkachuk
Drew Doughty
Mark Stone
Roman Josi
Max Pacioretty
Brayden Point
Pierre Luc Dubios

John Tavares has had one career fight (2010). Matthews Marner Nylander none. Morgan Rielly one. At some point leaders need to act like men. None of these guys answer the bell and they’re your top players. Look at other great leaders who are NOT goons and proven winner career fights:
Crosby-8
Toews-7
Malkin- 9
OV- 4
Letang- 11

What kind of lift do you think it would give the team if Matthews dropped the mitts?This team lacks fortitude. It really sucks to watch.

If Matthews dropped the gloves and lost badly it would demoralize the team badly. It is guys like Gravel and Harpur who have to drop the gloves. Neither belong on the team. Harpur cannot skate and Gravel does not appear to be aggressive (96 NHL games - zero majors). Man I used to love seeing Clark annihilate opponents. Babcock had gritty players on the Detroit teams, but I cannot recall him having an enforcer. Kadri was a gritty agitator (not a fighter), gone. Komorov was an agitator, gone. Matt Martin was an enforcer, gone. Toronto did try to draft 6'4" two-way defencemen without success. I think Toronto's management philosophy is skill over brawn. Kind of strange that Shanahan was a tough player in his day and he is now president of the possy club. Toronto does need more grit on the third and fourth line and on the third defensive pairing.

Last edited:

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
I thought that’s why we had Gravel? Haven’t even seen a hit from the dude yet.

Muzzin can’t be our tough guy.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Willy go round in circles
Willy fly high like a bird up in the sky
Willy fly high like a bird up in the sky

Willy stay out in the perimeter
Willy don’t skate back hard
Willy can’t hit the net no matter what
Best laugh I've had today!!!....Sing it Billy!!! ....Maybe I can add ...
I got the puck ,I ain't got know play in mind...
Imma gonna take a weak shot on net!
I got a ref who ain't called no penalty...
Let the the bad guy win every once in a while!

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
i cant beleive im saying this but maybe its time to give harpur a shot. He has been playing well in the AHL and cant be worse than gravel
Ben Harpur had 6 majors last year, fifth most in the league. Four players had 7 majors. I believe that Harpur was acquired for his brawn but just cannot stick on the team because of his skating. He looked like a pylon in training camp. Dubas tried to trade for sand-paper but struck out.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
View attachment 269561 I wish the morning papers had a headline to this effect.
This team lacks the intestinal fortitude to elevate their play to another level.

I hope they are called out for it.

They also look unhappy and gloomy

We had that guy once but now hes gone and I wonder whether the trade made us even that much better. Leafs need balls. They need to face their fears and anxieties whether it be off ice issues or living up to massive contracts and crumbling under the pressure. Balls.

Here are some possible solutions

1. want it more - Bruins are amazing at team defensively because there is no other team that will beat them in the effort category. As simple as it sounds a lot of it has to do with effort and compete
2. get better goaltending - self explanatory
3. get healthy quick - Tavares/Hyman/Dermott - but tbh all teams go through injuries. Call up Sandin. Too bad we dont habe Kadri anymore.
4. stop being so greedy - sometimes I wonder whether the players are way too hell bent on putting up points rather than playing good D and letting offensive opportunities come to them.
5. Really look into the fitness/sports science team cuz they look crazy gassed every back to back
6. Stop being so afraid/allergic to GOING TO THE NET HARD
7. discipline - too many terrible penalties that are counterproductive. If you want to take a penalty then show some nastiness - more crosschecks to the forwards constantly running Anderson - hes gonna get hurt if he isnt protected more
8. take some boxing classes
9. Bench the players if they suck, including the stars

Other solutions anyone?

If they do have any balls they would look like two peas tied up in a kleenex!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Heard Jamie Benn is off to a rough start...maybe a change in scenery. The kinda guy that might set the physical tone that this team could use.get' er done Dubas.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Ben Harpur had 6 majors last year, fifth most in the league. Four players had 7 majors. I believe that Harpur was acquired for his brawn but just cannot stick on the team because of his skating. He looked like a pylon in training camp. Dubas tried to trade for sand-paper but struck out.
Harpur did a good impression of a totem pole in camp. I was pullin ' for Gravel ,because he was clearin' the crease in camp and keepin ' the puck game simple...really doesn't look like the same player!

Reactions: Hustlr

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Fighting is one thing, these guys shy away from simple scrums. It's embarrassing. :help:
Marincin took action on Backes the other nite...an unexpected surprise from a player I think shouldn't even be on the team. But if he is gonna protect Freddy,then keep him around.

Reactions: Hustlr

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Nah, that was the analytics crew trying to justify the trade. There was probably a graph and everything that they used to tell everyone how stupid they are

Like honestly we just need Barrie to not be a gigantic liability, nothing exceptional.

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
For 3 years Dubas has been saying we can always trade for sandpaper if we need it. Fake news he hasn't made such a trade and is terrified to let a skill player go for that sandpaper. Well it's more evident than ever that this is the missing element. I'm so tired of hearing it from analysts and other hockey people that we need some grit.........well no xxxx, tells something we don't know. :pullhair:
He's barely into his second season bro
3 years is fake news calm the f down

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
When Shanahan went with Dubas over Hunter i did a massive facepalm. He belongs in some analytics department of a stuffy company, wearing his big glasses proudly. Guys like him used to become accountants.

I don't blame Babcock entirely for this kleenex team, I mean in Detroit he always had some grinders, maybe not the toughest guys in the league but they would throw the body around and clear the net.

If we had half competent management we would look at our strengths (high skilled offence) and trade down for a few lesser profile players to balance out the bottom 6 as well as defence. I mean you aren't getting Ryan Reaves, but it seems like we are one of the only team's who doesn't have a Jake Debrusk (cringe don't want debrusk...but I do)

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
List of top players who have fought this year:

Crosby
Hedman
Brady Tkachuk
Matthew Tkachuk
Drew Doughty
Mark Stone
Roman Josi
Max Pacioretty
Brayden Point
Pierre Luc Dubios

John Tavares has had one career fight (2010). Matthews Marner Nylander none. Morgan Rielly one. At some point leaders need to act like men. None of these guys answer the bell and they’re your top players. Look at other great leaders who are NOT goons and proven winner career fights:
Crosby-8
Toews-7
Malkin- 9
OV- 4
Letang- 11

What kind of lift do you think it would give the team if Matthews dropped the mitts?This team lacks fortitude. It really sucks to watch.
I agree, but Matthews is a poor example. He is so injury prone that if he actually fights I would bet he would be out for the year. I don't want to see him fighting. Fighting is for real man. We have boys.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Matthews Marner Tavares Rielly and Nylander shouldn't all play on the same team without a a couple of guys like Wilson or Reaves hanging around.
The guys Dubas signed and the guys with the Marlies didn’t make the team- That’s on Dubas.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This poll is a landslide.

We should have one that speculates as to whether the Leafs can go the whole season without a fight.

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
Father says there is nothing wrong with the Leafs fortitude, will to compete and talent. :handclap:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
32A3BEDA-607E-47B3-A501-3FAB72B8C9A2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad