Do the Maple Leafs lack Balls?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
download.jpeg-1.jpg
I wish the morning papers had a headline to this effect.
This team lacks the intestinal fortitude to elevate their play to another level.

I hope they are called out for it.

They also look unhappy and gloomy

We had that guy once but now hes gone and I wonder whether the trade made us even that much better. Leafs need balls. They need to face their fears and anxieties whether it be off ice issues or living up to massive contracts and crumbling under the pressure. Balls.

Here are some possible solutions

1. want it more - Bruins are amazing at team defensively because there is no other team that will beat them in the effort category. As simple as it sounds a lot of it has to do with effort and compete
2. get better goaltending - self explanatory
3. get healthy quick - Tavares/Hyman/Dermott - but tbh all teams go through injuries. Call up Sandin. Too bad we dont habe Kadri anymore.
4. stop being so greedy - sometimes I wonder whether the players are way too hell bent on putting up points rather than playing good D and letting offensive opportunities come to them.
5. Really look into the fitness/sports science team cuz they look crazy gassed every back to back
6. Stop being so afraid/allergic to GOING TO THE NET HARD
7. discipline - too many terrible penalties that are counterproductive. If you want to take a penalty then show some nastiness - more crosschecks to the forwards constantly running Anderson - hes gonna get hurt if he isnt protected more
8. take some boxing classes
9. Bench the players if they suck, including the stars

Other solutions anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: KristichBabych

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wouldn't say so. When the Leafs are on their game and motivated, they don't seem to shy away from anyone. We saw that against Washington and Boston in the playoffs. They aren't even close to that point now though, and it's pretty unfortunate to see such a talented team play so far below their potential. It doesn't look like they have fun playing or have much interest in playing as hard as they can for whatever reason

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs never want it more than anyone else. They want those easy games against bottom 10 teams and score cool backdoor goals, two on one snipes, and the powerplay firing on all cylinders en route to a 6-2 win.

The whole idea that they don't play 'motivated' is a joke. If guys like Marner and Matthews think they're so amazing, why don't they go and prove it every night instead of sleepwalking through most of the season and all the big games?

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I wouldn't say so. When the Leafs are on their game and motivated, they don't seem to shy away from anyone. We saw that against Washington and Boston in the playoffs. They aren't even close to that point now though, and it's pretty unfortunate to see such a talented team play so far below their potential. It doesn't look like they have fun playing or have much interest in playing as hard as they can for whatever reason

Especially Matthews

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think they lack consistency. Not sure what to expect from one game to the next. Seems like their record generally reflects that.

Reactions: Swedish Gretzky

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
List of top players who have fought this year:

Crosby
Hedman
Brady Tkachuk
Matthew Tkachuk
Drew Doughty
Mark Stone
Roman Josi
Max Pacioretty
Brayden Point
Pierre Luc Dubios

John Tavares has had one career fight (2010). Matthews Marner Nylander none. Morgan Rielly one. At some point leaders need to act like men. None of these guys answer the bell and they’re your top players. Look at other great leaders who are NOT goons and proven winner career fights:
Crosby-8
Toews-7
Malkin- 9
OV- 4
Letang- 11

What kind of lift do you think it would give the team if Matthews dropped the mitts?This team lacks fortitude. It really sucks to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad