News Article: Do the Leafs now Strip the "C"?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Additionally, hanging the name 'Captain Morgan' is way too premature.

Why does this fanbase continually insist of taking its best prospect and naming them Unicorn Jesus Captain of the Universe.

Then immediately burning then at the stake when they don't deliver to the expectations one would anticipate from a magical Demi-God leader extraordinaire.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
C'mon Rielly, Oscar-winning motivational speeches every night so the team wins 10-0 or you're absolutely worthless you failure of human potential.

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
Whilst I think Phaneuf's time here should end, I would see that as a classless act: especially if he is ultimately traded; why add insult to that. Keep it classy.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
There is no way that Phaneuf is not going to be moved at some time, so taking away the C before that happens just lowers his value for potential suiters IMO. We know what he is at this point, and the team is what it is as well, so just leave well enough alone- make your moves and when the dust settles, go to camp in the fall and see who stirs the drink from the collection of players you have and let the natural leaders distinguish themselves.

I wouldnt be against a group of A's as opposed to having to name a Captain, at least until a true Captain distinguishes himself amongst the player group and at that point you're just legitimizing something that already exists between the men in the room.

Giving Phaneuf the C was one of the biggest mistakes Burke made IMO- he forced it.

ALine

May 14, 2012
I can't see any point to it, besides placating a few fans and giving media something to talk about. I wouldn't think this is even on Shanahan/Horachek's radar as an issue (whether to strip his C). They'll try to move him before the deadline if it works, if not, the offseason. No need to make this a bigger circus.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Take the C from Phaneuf...

And give it to Clarkson. He's going to be here forever anyway, we might as well justify the price tag with 'leadership qualities' - maybe someone will think he's a good leader and take him... it worked with Steve Ott.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Just bring unnecessary distraction to the team when it needs a break from the media. You're also hurting his trade value, which would be a bad move.

As for SJ stripping their captain, they were never going to trade them away. And the media there is nothing compared to the ****** media here.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Stripping him could diminish his value as we would most likely HAVE to move him then. I don't know though it would all depend on how they go about it.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
You restore legitimacy to our captaincy and our history. If the C is vacant, not only will Phaneuf waive his NTC, it will motivate others to play better as it is not being occupied by a useless plug.

Every captain in the franchises past will say good riddance.

It can remain unoccupied until the heir Captain Morgan comes of age.. and trust me, it's not affecting Dion's trade value, that contract has already done so.

The aforementioned petulant child everyone.....

You can hate on Phaneuf all you want but he has always put forth an effort and is most certainly not a useless plug.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
The aforementioned petulant child everyone.....

You can hate on Phaneuf all you want but he has always put forth an effort and is most certainly not a useless plug.

IIENHHH, or a big fat X

Wrong again there Kessel supporter

Most nights he is leading the team in the laziness effort, almost takes a night off every night, has been the central reason why so many epic collapses, and to cap it off, he hurts his hand due to a skirmish he got into because he is a petulant child.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
IIENHHH, or a big fat X

Wrong again there Kessel supporter

Most nights he is leading the team in the laziness effort, almost takes a night off every night, has been the central reason why so many epic collapses, and to cap it off, he hurts his hand due to a skirmish he got into because he is a petulant child.
He hurt his hand being the only guy on the team who seems to give a #### at all. Anyway, I'll move on, you keep praying for another clown show Maple Leaf moment and then wondering why this franchise is always such a joke. #bringbackballarddays

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
He hurt his hand being the only guy on the team who seems to give a #### at all. Anyway, I'll move on, you keep praying for another clown show Maple Leaf moment and then wondering why this franchise is always such a joke. #bringbackballarddays

We have been a joke since the lockout. And trust me, it's not the fans fault for it being so.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011

Oh please- part of why this franchise is such a joke IS this guy being its captain. Identifying him as the "only guy on the team who gives a ****" is comical. Polak, Winnik, Santo, Kadri, Reilly...they might disagree with you.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Oh please- part of why this franchise is such a joke IS this guy being its captain. Identifying him as the "only guy on the team who gives a ****" is comical. Polak, Winnik, Santo, Kadri, Reilly...they might disagree with you.

I'll give you Sanyo Winnik and Rielly.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
This would be a really douchy thing to do and would tarnish the image of the franchise to back in the Ballard days. If they trade him than that would be take care of the issue.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
This would be a really douchy thing to do and would tarnish the image of the franchise to back in the Ballard days. If they trade him than that would be take care of the issue.

Totally agree. I didn't like the San jose thing. Hard with NMC though I realize.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
San Jose has stripped the C off players twice. the 2nd time a clear message of wanting to move out both Marleau + Thornton - has their perception around the league changed? (and if D. Wilson could somehow obliterate those NMC's they'd be gone as that is the only thing that's preventing them from being moved. ).

Seeing as they haven't been able to move either piece?

Yes. Their perception has changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad