News Article: Do the Leafs now Strip the "C"?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Good god no. You do that sort of thing in the offseason if you feel the need. Why on earth would you pour on more bad press during the year?

The only way it should be removed during the season is in a trade.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
No it would only create more problems and drama and not to mention lower his value even more around the league. Let him finish the year captain, and trade him in the offseason.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Question for everyone saying strip him of the "C".

Why?

What do you get from it?

You could hurt his perception around the league at the very time you are trying to trade him. Real smart thinking there.

Plus it's not like there's another C sitting in the wings waiting for the letter to be his.

Would you much rather Phaneuf giving out his tried, tested, cliche answers to the media? Or would you rather roll out a Rielly or a Kadri and have them Face the uncomfortable bum chin everyday?

Stop thinking with emotion and use logic for a change

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Why?

What do you get from it?

You could hurt his perception around the league at the very time you are trying to trade him. Real smart thinking there.

Plus it's not like there's another C sitting in the wings waiting for the letter to be his.

Would you much rather Phaneuf giving out his tried, tested, cliche answers to the media? Or would you rather roll out a Rielly or a Kadri and have them Face the uncomfortable bum chin everyday?

San Jose has stripped the C off players twice. the 2nd time a clear message of wanting to move out both Marleau + Thornton - has their perception around the league changed? (and if D. Wilson could somehow obliterate those NMC's they'd be gone as that is the only thing that's preventing them from being moved. ).

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto

Why?

What do you get from it?

You get culture change at the expense of, arguably, trade return

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No - the team doesn't need yet another distraction this season. If Dion isn't viewed as the team's captain anymore by management - the only option is to trade him.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I can't stand Phaneuf but it serves no purpose to strip him of the C . Hopefully we can trade him before the start of next season but if you strip him now it gives us even less leverage in trade negotiations .

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't see any reason for it. No one to immediately take it and won't help anything. He can lose the C when you trade him, whenever that happens.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Assistant General Phaneuf is following Tank Commander Horachek's demands in a strategy to take over 1st overall, we must not strip him of his power until after the draft.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The goal is to trade Phaneuf so there is no reason to strip him of the "C".

Also the only reason to do it in the first place would be if you have a better choice in mind.. Its currently hard to find players worthy of wearing "A" nevermind the "C" itself.

If you took it away from Phaneuf I would have no idea who would be a better choice as of now.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
You might as well leave him as Captain until he is traded.

If he's still a Leaf to start next season, you may consider taking the C away from him then.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
No. Not because I think his a deserving captain, but I never believed in stripping the C of someone when that player is still within the team.

That's how I felt with Sharks decision too, pointless. Thornton is still the alpha male in that room, with or without the C.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He should be traded, if he stays just let him keep it at this point. Only one I would suggest should take it over is Polak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad