News Article: Do the Leafs now Strip the "C"?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Because Leaf Nation is a collection of petulant school children with no real concept of team building? You don't strip your captain mid season.

Not that it matters, he won't be a Leaf by Oct 1.

Nailed it.

Too much impulse and irrational thought. Not enough common sense. We are all guilty.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Absolutely not. You wait until the off season to do that. Or if you trade him you don't even have to worry about the formality of stripping him of the C.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Forgive me - I thought the Leafs were in the middle of a rebuild.

What's more important in a rebuild - recouping value for tradeable assets? Or culture change?

Hint* - not a trick question.

Don't worry you are excused.

If you think somehow this is the rebuild that will work, you are likely mistaken. The reason the rebuild barely matters (unless it really is McDavid or equal), is because the underlying losing culture is still here.. anyone who throws the leaf jersey on is a loser, plain and simple. Restore the value in the logo first before trying to restore the roster, both are broken.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
As a person who dislikes Dion more then most, it would be ridiculous to strip Dion of the C at this point of the season. Nothing good can become of this type of move at this time.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Don't strip the C. I agree with those who say it would impact his trade value, and it's just not necessary.

I don't think Dion is a good captain, but we have to concentrate on maximizing asset return.

Ace88*

Additionally, hanging the name 'Captain Morgan' is way too premature.

Why does this fanbase continually insist of taking its best prospect and naming them Unicorn Jesus Captain of the Universe.

Then immediately burning then at the stake when they don't deliver to the expectations one would anticipate from a magical Demi-God leader extraordinaire.

post of the year ainec *slow clap*

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
anyone who throws the leaf jersey on is a loser, plain and simple. Restore the value in the logo first before trying to restore the roster, both are broken.

Different folks different strokes. To me, the bigger problem is the guy wanting to tank "till death." Not the man/woman/child that cheers on a sports team.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Don't worry you are excused.

If you think somehow this is the rebuild that will work, you are likely mistaken. The reason the rebuild barely matters (unless it really is McDavid or equal), is because the underlying losing culture is still here.. anyone who throws the leaf jersey on is a loser, plain and simple. Restore the value in the logo first before trying to restore the roster, both are broken.

Why won't the rebuild work? I could list a number of successful rebuilds. So could you. Let's not waste each other's time.

Let's also not be ignorant enough to ignore the fact that you can rebuild without landing a lottery pick every year.

Finally - want to fix the logo? The culture? The atmosphere? Change the composition of the people in the room, and win.

There's not a chance you believe simply stripping the "C" changes the culture in one, swiping motion, does it? Tell me that's not the case.

Todd Skill

Feb 17, 2012
You might as well leave him as Captain until he is traded.

If he's still a Leaf to start next season, you may consider taking the C away from him then.

This. I think the C should be voted on every single year by the players. Then we find out the real leaders.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
lol how much better dion would be if he didnt have to think about leadership

named to the NHL all star team...

Last edited:

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Different folks different strokes. To me, the bigger problem is the guy wanting to tank "till death." Not the man/woman/child that cheers on a sports team.

Our corporate culture will remain, suits will suck up the breathable air while they blab on their cells, and we will continually waste FULL YEARS to prove to these idiots above that a rebuild is necessary.. it's a lag that noone else in the league has. I mean, do they have to sign off on every single trade Shanny makes? Send your papers to our back office, double sign with our operations officer, send to credit for a check, return to operations officer to copy and resend to upper mgmt, wait 3 days for response, have board room meeting, get told you must have another FULL YEAR to prove why this trade must be done. BS. Tank nation will always be here until that is not.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Why won't the rebuild work? I could list a number of successful rebuilds. So could you. Let's not waste each other's time.

Let's also not be ignorant enough to ignore the fact that you can rebuild without landing a lottery pick every year.

Finally - want to fix the logo? The culture? The atmosphere? Change the composition of the people in the room, and win.

There's not a chance you believe simply stripping the "C" changes the culture in one, swiping motion, does it? Tell me that's not the case.

Oh, I forgot to clarify...

Rebuild for the Leafs won't work, please list successful rebuilds for this team only please.

Secondly, I don't trust Nonis' judge of character or skill, and if Shanny trusts Nonis, which he obviously does, then I don't trust him either. Dubas won't have an actual say until 2019. Nonuts is staying.

Stripping the C is just one piece of many in the rebuild of legitimacy.. we need 2 rebuilds here, the roster is one, the more important rebuild is our culture..

The biggest thing that will prove to me how driven they are to change is based on how much of the new team is picked by the new coach, and, hopefully, new GM, not Horachek and Nonuts.

New GM, New coach, New captain.. they'll never fix the boardroom lag, but, it's a start. Then new roster.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Take the C from Phaneuf...

And give it to Clarkson. He's going to be here forever anyway, we might as well justify the price tag with 'leadership qualities' - maybe someone will think he's a good leader and take him... it worked with Steve Ott.

There's actually so much wisdon in this post.
I agree that giving him the C would lift his spirits even more. And he's staying with us forever.

The only thing bothering me with all this is... that Clarkson is not that smart. He looks pretty dumb too.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Why who is your replacement?

So this is Phaneuff's fault because he isn't a top 20 D but makes $7M? You don't need to strip him when you are already warming him(NTC) up to a trade.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
There's actually so much wisdon in this post.
I agree that giving him the C would lift his spirits even more. And he's staying with us forever.

The only thing bothering me with all this is... that Clarkson is not that smart. He looks pretty dumb too.

:biglaugh:

cujoflutie

3 things should end the captaincy any player (not just phaneuf)

1. They leave the team
2. they resign the captaincy
3. A better leader has emerged

none of those 3 things have happened. So what positive would come from doing it at this stage?

Would anyone else want it at this stage given how Dion has been treated?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad