• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Tampa, Boston, Toronto, Nashville, Winnipeg, Vegas, SJS

I disagree with all these except Tampa, SJS, and probably Nashville just because Nashville is just so balanced. If Boston loses one of their best players (Rask, Bergeron, or Marchand) I think they struggle to make the playoffs. If the Peg loses Laine, Sheiffle, Big Buff, or Wheeler, I think they struggle to make the playoffs. Vegas I think in general is going to take a step back and struggle to miss the playoffs largely because of the losses of James Neal and the fact that William Karlsson is likely to revert back to a more sustainable shooting percentage. If VGK loses a piece they're in real trouble just like the Flyers. But even if I agree that all of these teams can withstand serious losses to a star player...that's still 9/31 teams. In other words...what you said about the Flyers can be said about most of the teams in the NHL.

But you are kind of missing the point. Among the bubble teams who are in a somewhat similar situation to the Flyers, those teams might have 1-2 players that if injured would be a death sentence. The Flyers have 4.
If that's the point I still disagree. If we are talking strictly about bubble teams my point rings even more true. The loss of a second liner for 40+ games won't hurt the Pens, but the loss of a second liner for 40+ games will hurt a bubble team.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Forget about losing one of your best players if you're a bubble team, losing a complimentary player can derail your season.

GingerBeards

Apr 24, 2018
Half of the top six had career years last year, and we *still* barely made the playoffs. None of the major problems of this team (Head coach, pk coach, goal tending, awful vets, bottom 4 d, play style that does not suit roster) were addressed, except for improving the 3rd line center if misha takes off.

They can make the playoffs, because there is a lot of talent in the forwards and the top pairing is insane, but it will not be easy, and they could just as easily miss.
While this is all true, they were also alone is 1st place of the Metro on Feb. 26 before the collapse of the goalie depth chart. Mediocre as Elliott and Neuvy may have been, there's no disputing their injuries had a distinct correlation on the trajectory of this team, which was rolling prior to handing the reins over to Petr "can't properly position himself to save his life" Mrazek.

I do agree that it's easy to dispute the hope that the top forwards can carry this team further, while it's unrealistic to expect G, Coots and Voracek to exceed or even repeat last year's totals. However, the biggest jump this team should make is through the (re)addition of JVR and the continued progression of TK and Patrick. That alone will hopefully make the forward group as a whole as good as, if not better than last year. Also the addition by subtraction of that 3C (1C in Hak's mind) guy that everyone liked so much that Hexy didn't resign...what was his name?? :sarcasm:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Yes, but i think the next question is - do they win a playoff round?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I disagree with all these except Tampa, SJS, and probably Nashville just because Nashville is just so balanced. If Boston loses one of their best players (Rask, Bergeron, or Marchand) I think they struggle to make the playoffs. If the Peg loses Laine, Sheiffle, Big Buff, or Wheeler, I think they struggle to make the playoffs. Vegas I think in general is going to take a step back and struggle to miss the playoffs largely because of the losses of James Neal and the fact that William Karlsson is likely to revert back to a more sustainable shooting percentage. If VGK loses a piece they're in real trouble just like the Flyers. But even if I agree that all of these teams can withstand serious losses to a star player...that's still 9/31 teams. In other words...what you said about the Flyers can be said about most of the teams in the NHL.

If that's the point I still disagree. If we are talking strictly about bubble teams my point rings even more true. The loss of a second liner for 40+ games won't hurt the Pens, but the loss of a second liner for 40+ games will hurt a bubble team.

You are kidding yourself if you think Boston would miss the playoffs/struggle without one of Rask, Bergeron or Marchand. They were 1 point off TB for the top in the east and still suffered a ton of injuries. Marchand missed 14 games, Bergeron 18, Krejci 18, McAvoy 19. Only two players on their roster played a full 82 game season. They could miss Marchand for the entire season and still comfortably make the playoffs.

And you think Winnipeg would struggle to make the playoffs? C'mon lol... that's a joke. They are a very deep team with that would still easily make the playoffs without one of their stars for the entire season. It would take a lot more than just one big injury to give them some trouble.

Vegas losing Neal is of little consequence. They added two players better than Neal anyway. Karlsson could regress, and Patches could get hurt and they will still be a playoff team.

And I can tell you really didn't read my post from earlier, if you think that all other 22 teams not listed are in the same situation. A solid ~8-10 teams don't realistic shot at the playoffs anyway, so it doesn't matter if they lose a key player, they were already dead anyway.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

But Malkin is a 2nd liner. Losing him wouldn't hurt the Pens? :sarcasm:

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The Flyers are extremely average. Until team 32 joins the league, more than half of the league makes the playoffs (then exactly half will.)

The Flyers will make it, because floating near the middle, they are just slightly better (on paper) than some other middle of the road teams. However, if it has been like years past, it will be more contested than alluded to of the simple in-out question. The playoff experience will also be unsatisfying, as the Flyers are at the bottom of the upper teams, and when compared to other playoff teams, the whole-league average becomes woefully inadequate and far-below playoff average.

Words words, blah blah, irregardlessly, this year seems hopeful but not promising.

Edit: The Flyers are the epitome of PA's highest produced beer, Yuengling Lager. They are the best bad beer, or the worst good beer. Comfortably in the middle, providing a product that any imbiber can tolerate.

Irregardless- I can't believe spell checker let this slide and isn't calling it an error. The faith has been lost in spell checker- #dobetter #bebetter

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I see 4 scenarios where we miss it, most likely to least likely
1. the goaltending is at or near the bottom of the league
2. the division is surprisingly tough
3. devastating injury problems to important players
4. they stink, all-around

that being said they'll probably make it in rather easily, and lose in 6 games in round 1

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

The Jets lost Scheifele for a quarter of the season last year and didn't miss a beat.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The Flyers are extremely average.

But should be better than that. If Vorobyev is what he looks like he is, they have 3 legit scoring lines...and then the ability to make a good possession 4th line and 1.5-2 more pairings with promise.

They won't have the last two items, but they should.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
But should be better than that. If Vorobyev is what he looks like he is, they have 3 legit scoring lines...and then the ability to make a good possession 4th line and 1.5-2 more pairings with promise.

They won't have the last two items, but they should.
I do not disagree. Theory crafting is a fun past time. Hakstol is still a bad coach.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You are kidding yourself if you think Boston would miss the playoffs/struggle without one of Rask, Bergeron or Marchand. They were 1 point off TB for the top in the east and still suffered a ton of injuries. Marchand missed 14 games, Bergeron 18, Krejci 18, McAvoy 19. Only two players on their roster played a full 82 game season. They could miss Marchand for the entire season and still comfortably make the playoffs.

And you think Winnipeg would struggle to make the playoffs? C'mon lol... that's a joke. They are a very deep team with that would still easily make the playoffs without one of their stars for the entire season. It would take a lot more than just one big injury to give them some trouble.

Vegas losing Neal is of little consequence. They added two players better than Neal anyway. Karlsson could regress, and Patches could get hurt and they will still be a playoff team.

And I can tell you really didn't read my post from earlier, if you think that all other 22 teams not listed are in the same situation. A solid ~8-10 teams don't realistic shot at the playoffs anyway, so it doesn't matter if they lose a key player, they were already dead anyway.

But again, that only underscores my point more. If we are strictly talking about the "bubble teams" my point the loss of anyone even slightly important for half the year will have a serious impact on their bubble bursting.

The Jets lost Scheifele for a quarter of the season last year and didn't miss a beat.

That's great, like I said, even if you considered all the teams listed as immune to serious impact losing one of their key players, my original statement still is true.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
But again, that only underscores my point more. If we are strictly talking about the "bubble teams" my point the loss of anyone even slightly important for half the year will have a serious impact on their bubble bursting.

That's the point? :help: The Flyers are bubble team whose bubble can easily pop.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That's the point? :help: The Flyers are bubble team whose bubble can easily pop.
Yeah but that's not really a point. These teams are bubble teams for a reason. That's just stating the obvious. "If the Flyers don't finish in the top three in the Metro they will be fighting for a wild card spot!!!!" Thanks for the insight. "If Giroux scores 120 points he will have a good shot at the Art Ross trophy!!!!" Wonderful deduction!

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Yeah but that's not really a point. These teams are bubble teams for a reason. That's just stating the obvious. "If the Flyers don't finish in the top three in the Metro they will be fighting for a wild card spot!!!!" Thanks for the insight. "If Giroux scores 120 points he will have a good shot at the Art Ross trophy!!!!" Wonderful deduction!

Look at the poll, you see 86-11 votes in favor of the Flyers making the playoffs. Plenty of confident posters think the Flyers are a shoo-in, but I was just looking to discuss the reality that one untimely injury could mean an easy miss, for a team that on paper should make it. And not all teams, not even all bubble teams are in that situation. But please, continue your poor analysis of my posts.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Look at the poll, you see 86-11 votes in favor of the Flyers making the playoffs. Plenty of confident posters think the Flyers are a shoo-in, but I was just looking to discuss the reality that one untimely injury could mean an easy miss, for a team that on paper should make it. And not all teams, not even all bubble teams are in that situation. But please, continue your poor analysis of my posts.
If the Flyers make the playoffs, they will have to play at least four games before they are either eliminated or they eliminate the team they are playing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the Flyers are deep enough to withstand the loss of Giroux or Couts or Ghost.
Especially if they are injured half way through the season (so 1 or 2 AHL players are ready to be called up).
It would weaken the first line, but they would still have three solid scoring lines, if Giroux is out you move up Laughton.
If Couts is out, maybe you promote Rubtsov.
If Ghost is out, you promote Myers or Friedman (or both), go with Provorov - Myers.

On the power play, Voroybev or Patrick might get a bigger role, or they go two D-men if Sanheim is ready.

It would hurt them, but I don't think it would be a killer blow.
This team is much deeper than it's been since 2011-12.
Not just the NHL roster, but real talent in the AHL.

Of course, they can't afford to lose two top players, but what NHL team can?

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Any team with Couturier-Patrick-Vorobyev down the middle+Provorov/Ghost/Sanheim on the back end SHOULD make the playoffs.

Don’t underestimate haktard though. Sanheim could still be getting scratched and used as a 6/7, essentially making our defense Provorov+Ghost and a whole lotta garbage, bad goaltending, the potential of another bad bottom 6 depending on the usage of Wiese+Lehtera and even Simmonds.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The only way Sanheim will get scratched is if he has his head up his butt, in which case he has little value to the team.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
The way some play with words is incredible.
Yes!

For example, the poll question (as opposed to the thread title) asks "Do the the Flyers 'mkae' the playoffs?" Do not understand, but Google tells me the most likely translation is from Swahili, asking "Do the Flyers 'get married' the playoffs?".

In which case, I'll still say yes...either simply make the playoffs, or outright get married to them and have a long, happy relationship for many years to come...the team could be at the beginning of a long run. While the Penguin (and Capitals?) hopefully begin their descent to mediocrity....

Reactions: kudymen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad