Do the Flyers make the playoffs next year - poll

Do the Flyers make the playoffs next season?

• Total voters

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I think the Flyers certainly have the talent to make the playoffs but I have little faith in Fletcher and I do not think Vignault is a good coach.

In my opinion, Washington Carolina and Pittsburgh are definites. Rangers, Flyers, Devils and Columbus will be in a dog fight. The Flyers should make it but again with their GM and coach I am skeptical.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
I see what you did @Captain Dave Poulin
6a00d83451b52369e2019b03296647970d-550wi

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
There are too many "ifs" for me to say probably. It really all falls on AV and if the Hextall core can really deliver.

Still...the rest of the division is just too good. Maybe if a team like the pens just finally falls off a cliff, they have a chance.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There are too many "ifs" for me to say probably. It really all falls on AV and if the Hextall core can really deliver.

Still...the rest of the division is just too good. Maybe if a team like the pens just finally falls off a cliff, they have a chance.

Pens are already in free fall. Limped into the playoffs and got swept by the Islanders. They'll miss next season.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Pens are already in free fall. Limped into the playoffs and got swept by the Islanders. They'll miss next season.
They also got even worse this summer. They can act like Kessel was some kind of locker room cancer, but at the end of the day he was still a top 3 forward on that team.

Reactions: lancer247

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Rangers- Improve big time
Isles- May be worse? No Lee/Lehner it's looking like
Pens- Lol they should be worse but somehow they'll break even
Devils- Marginally better but still suck
Hurricanes- Corsi darlings still

I want to say we probably make it but flipping a coin gives you a better chance of getting it right.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They also got even worse this summer. They can act like Kessel was some kind of locker room cancer, but at the end of the day he was still a top 3 forward on that team.

Yep. Galchenyuk is a downgrade.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

So the Flyers are all "ifs", but the rest of the division has no real "ifs"?

Get outta here with that.

Shakey Graves

Jun 10, 2019
South Jersey
I think the Flyers certainly have the talent to make the playoffs but I have little faith in Fletcher and I do not think Vignault is a good coach.

In my opinion, Washington Carolina and Pittsburgh are definites. Rangers, Flyers, Devils and Columbus will be in a dog fight. The Flyers should make it but again with their GM and coach I am skeptical.

Are you nuts? Have you seen the changes made to the Rangers and Devils rosters? They had a very successful off season and are far better now than last year. We on the other hand, have mildly improved, if that. We should have kept our defense the same, bought out AMAC and went after some top free agents. While doing so, we could have landed a bigger scoring forward (since we need more goals for) and a better defense choice if we had the money left (after our RFAs). Instead we have "potential" in Hayes and we overpaid for him at that. The improvements we made on the D line are arguably so minor that we may not have increased in anything but cap.

I believe we will pull the same old Flyers bullshit and either get in the playoffs via Wildcard or the last spot. We will then lose in the first round. If not, we don't make the playoffs at all, which frankly at this point, I'd rather have a top draft pick.

We need god damn scoring and until that is addressed with a confirmed goal scorer we are not going to be a legit threat.

What's the cutoff for a user to be able to vote? I'm guessing the age of my account or number of posts?

Last edited:

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
Let's see, let me evaluate the Metro teams:

Rangers: Got Panarin, Kakko, Henrik is getting older, defense is still suspect with Trouba and Shattenkirk
Pens: Kessel is gone, Tanev is in. Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Hornqvist and defense is ehh. Goalie, seems like Murray was better when MAF was there. Not so much without him
Islanders: They have no goalie, might lose a captain again, Flip is back in Detroit.
Canes: No goalies, Reimer is iffy, Aho is offer sheet but no signing of Williams announced yet
Devils: Got Hughes, Simmonds, Subban and they have Hall, Hischier, their goalie sucks.
Washington: They are ok as is.

So I think we are in behind the Caps, Pens and the rest of the field is depending upon certain teams signing certain players, matching the offer sheet. I think we can compete for a playoff spot.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Rangers- Improve big time
Isles- May be worse? No Lee/Lehner it's looking like
Pens- Lol they should be worse but somehow they'll break even
Devils- Marginally better but still suck
Hurricanes- Corsi darlings still

I want to say we probably make it but flipping a coin gives you a better chance of getting it right.

Devils marginally better? I think not.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
So the Flyers are all "ifs", but the rest of the division has no real "ifs"?

Get outta here with that.

I think most of the division is in the same boat. The Caps are probably a safe bet for a top 3 spot...but outside of them...every other team could potentially finish top 3 or miss the playoffs. The BJs, Islanders, Pens, and Canes are coming off playoff berths...and the Devils and Rangers have made significant upgrades. The Flyers don't really fall in either of those camps...they are kind of in their own "underachieved but have potential for a bounce back" tier.

It is really a crap shoot. I think the other teams have proven they can get the most out of their players...where the Flyers have struggled with that outside of the big 3. I think the Flyers are deeper on paper...but for whatever reason, when they play division rivals...the guys I have never heard of on the 3rd and 4th lines on other teams seem to way outplay our guys. Obviously a new coaching staff might change that...but that has yet to be seen. I am just tired of thinking "ha the rangers, devils, and islanders have no depth"...only to watch them outplay us again and again.

I don't know. I just wish Fletcher made a more certain move this offseason. I really don't know what to expect from guys like Braun or Hayes. I could see them being solid players or guys that make us pull our hair out on a nightly basis.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Rangers: Got Panarin, Kakko, Henrik is getting older, defense is still suspect with Trouba and Shattenkirk
Pens: Kessel is gone, Tanev is in. Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Hornqvist and defense is ehh. Goalie, seems like Murray was better when MAF was there. Not so much without him
Islanders: They have no goalie, might lose a captain again, Flip is back in Detroit.
Canes: No goalies, Reimer is iffy, Aho is offer sheet but no signing of Williams announced yet
Devils: Got Hughes, Simmonds, Subban and they have Hall, Hischier, their goalie sucks.

So I think we are in behind the Caps, Pens and the rest of the field is depending upon certain teams signing certain players, matching the offer sheet. I think we can compete for a playoff spot.

The Pens are going to suck next season.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

I would swap cbj for canes even though cbj still are a decent team. Devils really improved. They always play to their system and I think schneider will bounce back for sure/blackwood is good too + subban/hall/simmonds/hughes. Rangers got better as well with panarin, trouba, kakko. Canes are a ? cus of their goalie situation and if they can replicate it if mrazek is back. Pens got a little worse fire power wise but they got more depth with tanev/kahun and if gally can produce 30 goals it should match what kessel gave them. Suspect on defense though which is awesome. Washington didn't do anything to get better in my opinion. Going to be a tight race tbh but I like our odds.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think most of the division is in the same boat. The Caps are probably a safe bet for a top 3 spot...but outside of them...every other team could potentially finish top 3 or miss the playoffs. The BJs, Islanders, Pens, and Canes are coming off playoff berths...and the Devils and Rangers have made significant upgrades. The Flyers don't really fall in either of those camps...they are kind of in their own "underachieved but have potential for a bounce back" tier.

It is really a crap shoot. I think the other teams have proven they can get the most out of their players...where the Flyers have struggled with that outside of the big 3. I think the Flyers are deeper on paper...but for whatever reason, when they play division rivals...the guys I have never heard of on the 3rd and 4th lines on other teams seem to way outplay our guys. Obviously a new coaching staff might change that...but that has yet to be seen. I am just tired of thinking "ha the rangers, devils, and islanders have no depth"...only to watch them outplay us again and again.

I don't know. I just wish Fletcher made a more certain move this offseason. I really don't know what to expect from guys like Braun or Hayes. I could see them being solid players or guys that make us pull our hair out on a nightly basis.

You should expect 50 points and good 2 way play from Hayes. It's what he has done the last 3 years.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

I think the rangers and devils will be much better this year. Schneider I can see bouncing back, especially with the way they play. Caps are going to be top 3 most likely. After that its between flyers, pens, canes, devils, rangers. Isles are a ? due to goalie situation and replicating the season they had, same with canes in regards to goalies.

Include the flyers too though: we got hayes (while many of us don't like the $/nmc, he does help us) who should help alleviate pressure off patrick AND couts.. Niskanen/braun. All 3 should help the pk, especially with a new system. Hart. Bounce back seasons from provorov and/or ghost. I can't see them both being eh this year.

Going to be an interesting season for sure but its not like we are behind any team by that much

Reactions: Fragmuffin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They should easily make the playoffs. That was true before any additions were made and it's still true after.

This team easily has the talent to make the playoffs and the only reason they didn't last year was coaching sabotage and goaltending.

Only way they miss is if they get sabotaged again or have injury issues.

Reactions: kelmitchell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad