Do the Edmonton Oilers make the playoffs this season?

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I figure they finish the season around the 80 point mark and improve their goal differential by 20 or so goals.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think the point is that Hall vs Lucic is basically a wash defensively/offensively. One is better at offense... the other is better at defense.

Looking at their advanced stats (GF vs GA) over the past 3 seasons 5 on 5... Hall was better than his teammates by 8.6% and Lucic was better than his teammates by 7.9%... and Hall actually faced slightly tougher competition than Lucic... by 1%... so the spread between Hall and Lucic compared to their respective teammates actually favours Hall slightly.

You can argue Hall played with poorer linemates so the bar was slightly lower for Hall to exceed that of his teammates... so that gap may close up a bit... but basically it's a wash between Hall and Lucic and the only difference is "intangibles"... whether that translates to an actually difference in goals for/against and wins remains to be seen.

The real difference is Larsson who is one of the best young, defensively sound dmen in the league and his addition should definitely help move the arrow of improvement in the right direction.. BUT that is adding just a net effect of 1 player (so far) and I don't think it's enough to make the playoffs a reality... unless Charelli has more coming which is a possibility.

A healthy Klefbom will be another top 4 Dman. Subtracting Schultz is another huge positive, Puljujarvi could surprise a lot of people the kid is a legit 5star talent, McDavid and Drai are a year older as well, Maroon will have a full season to provide solid 3rd line play, Poo is healthy and was a very effective 2nd liner since signing before getting hurt, Kassian has had a full summer to be clean and train. Lots of reasons to be optimistic at the start of the season this year, but theres always that dark cloud over the team because the Oilers always seem to find a way to Oiler.

Hopefully Chia can add a guy with a shot for the PP from the point.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
We are definitely making the playoffs, with about 100 points. I also think we finish atop the Pacific Division.

McDavid will lead the league in scoring with Draisatl not far behind.

Two biggest disappointments will be RNH and Eberle.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
We are definitely making the playoffs, with about 100 points. I also think we finish atop the Pacific Division.

McDavid will lead the league in scoring with Draisatl not far behind.

Two biggest disappointments will be RNH and Eberle.

Bold prediction there Nostradamus.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I always liked Chiarelli and McLellan so it was a matter of time that the Oil turned it around. The thing is that while they are a better team, it's all McDavid with a sprinkle of Draisatl and a pinch of Talbot. Although finally seeing how poor Hall-RNH-Eberle (insert Yakupov) were, it's hard to fault the old management when top rated picks just don't pan out.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I always liked Chiarelli and McLellan so it was a matter of time that the Oil turned it around. The thing is that while they are a better team, it's all McDavid with a sprinkle of Draisatl and a pinch of Talbot. Although finally seeing how poor Hall-RNH-Eberle (insert Yakupov) were, it's hard to fault the old management when top rated picks just don't pan out.

One of the many disappointing things with the old management group was their refusal to see that core of players wasn't going to work. For me, there were red flags with that group going back as far as the lockout season when they couldn't win in the AHL.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Development is a real thing, you know. :sarcasm:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
One of the many disappointing things with the old management group was their refusal to see that core of players wasn't going to work. For me, there were red flags with that group going back as far as the lockout season when they couldn't win in the AHL.

It's it that the core players are bad players, they were just a collection of soft players with similar skill sets. You need a variety of players to win. That's why Maroon does so well with Mcdavid.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
0ilerman, 2ndGenIslander, 6ix, 87Oiler, AddyTheWrath, Aerrol, Avenger*, Bcsw721, Beetle, BlackMcDog, bolobow, Broilers, Buffalo In A Carwash, CantHaveTkachev, Canucks1096, Danny__K, Dempsey, Draw Me a McElephant, drewshoo, dss97, Faryn, Flamesjustwin, Gone, Gord, Halibut, HermMunster, Hoodaha, Hugo McStiglitz, I am Lorde, I am the Liquor, Ill Woods, J4M13M, Jephman, JJTopper, JohnnyBadNews, JonathanK, Kodiak64, korqeldroma, Krnage, Logical McNonsense, Lowball, Lucbourdon, Mach97, mapletank, McJadeddog, McMatty, Mcnotloilersfan, McPoolParty, MisterD, MK9, MoneyGuy, NegativeNelly, NoTradeClause, Nugey McNugeson, oilblue, OilDrop37, Oilers93, OilerTyler, OneMoreAstronaut, ORR2Sanderson2ORR, Proko88, Quality McOil, Quokka, Redbarchettayyz, Replacement*, ResilientBeast, RoboNerdOK, Robotdanceparty, rockinghockey, RowdyMcPfeifer, royboi, ScrillaVilla, Senor Catface, Sniper99, Spawn, Stud Muffin, Tarus, thadd, The Bored Man, TKB21, Tyrolean, Weitz, Xelebes

all wrong

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
Shocked to see I voted yes at the beginning of the season. Normally I'm much more pessimistic than that, must've been a good day!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad