Do the Edmonton Oilers make the playoffs this season?

JMcAuley

Nov 3, 2014
Simple question. Will the Edmonton Oilers make the playoffs this coming season?

Last year was another disappointing season as we finished at the bottom of the Western Conference 17 points outside of a playoff spot. That is surely a lot of points to make up and not an easy feat to accomplish.

However I think most people here are expecting a better season for a number of reasons. Last season was riddled with injuries with a number of star players spending significant time sitting out. A full season of McDavid should make a big difference if he can stay healthy.

On top of that our roster looks more balanced then it has in a long time. Our defense certainly looks better. We are bigger and stronger and we have more depth especially compared to our opening roster last season. But is it enough? Will the Oilers make the playoffs this season? And if not how many seasons are they away from doing so?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Not even close in my opinion. If they acquire another defenseman such as Barrie/Hamonic then I could see them at least playing for something in March/April

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I think we are a lot closer than people realize. I believe we need to address the PPQB hole to have a real shot a the playoffs. We're close I think, but we need to round out just a little bit more.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
I'd guess they will jump up a few places but playoffs seems still a bit too much.
But the Oiiers is one of the toughest teams to read as there is a lot of potential.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
sure why not? Right now the defining tone of this team is uncertainty. If it's a simple yes or no answer then I might as well pick the optimistic one

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Unless the Oilers are decimated by injury like last year and McDavid misses half the games again I don't see how they're not in the mix for a playoff spot. They're deeper on D with Larsson who also helps offensively with breakouts and should be tougher to play against with Lucic. Subtract Hall but with Lucic and likely adding Pulju for at least part of the year that probably balances out the offense. Adding Caggiula and then Khaira, Slepyshev and others with another year under their belt pushing up from the AHL should help depth-wise when injuries do strike. Hopefully one of Musil, Simpson, or Laleggia take a step this year and prove they're NHL ready.

I don't think the Canucks are a better team Eriksson notwithstanding. Calgary is improved in net and Brouwer is a solid add. Anaheim isn't necessarily worse but they're not better at this point. San Jose is about the same as last year. Coyotes are maybe marginally better, maybe not. LA is probably a little worse. Oilers and Flames look to have improved most in the division. I think that puts one of these two teams in the playoffs if not both at the expense maybe of one of the California teams and/or a central division team. Either way I doubt the central division has 5 playoff teams again this year.

I see the western conference playoff teams shaking out as follows:

Dallas
Chicago
Nashville
WC - St. Louis or Winnipeg

San Jose
Three of:
Anaheim
LA
Edmonton
Calgary

Minnesota, Colorado, Vancouver and Phoenix all miss. Wouldn't be surprised to see St. Louis take a big step back without Backes, Brouwer and Elliott. Steen and Shattenkirk's looming UFA status could distract too, especially after the aforementioned players who already left. Winnipeg should be better with Laine and Mathias and no contract distractions, I think they push the Blues hard for the last spot in their division. It's tight again in the West this coming year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ive been saying no for so long I am typing yes primarily to change it up and be positive.

If we stay healthy I think it's absolutely possible.

A decent top 4 with Noone unable to deal with top quality of competition. Davidson anchoring the bottom pairing.

Solid group of forwards with a nice mix of size, skill, two way, and some actual toughness.

A goalie who looked like a legit starter for at least an solid amount of time.

Solid management and coaching.

New building.

And of course Mcdavid.

We have a legit shot a playoff spot. But a lot still needs to go right to get there.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Hard to say. I think a lot of people are:
Underestimating losing Hall
Underestimating gaining Larsson
Overestimating gaining Lucic
Underestimating a healthy Klefbom

If the Oilers stay healthy they have a solid chance IMO.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
crazy that the "yes crowd" is actually leading right now... i thought the last poll, which had a 45% "yes vote" was crazy as well, and that was less than 50% (obviously)

i'm not entirely sure we will finish higher than 13th or 14th in the conference, lol

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Too many questions at this point.

How fast do new acquisitions adjust?

Who gets injured? When?

Will Klefbom actually play 60 games for once? (I'm to the point where I expect something to prevent him).

Tho, for the first time in years I do think it's possible

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I already said 20 points more than last year. I think more than anything its just the reinforcement of a new identity. I think if you really examine last year when Mcdavid was in there his energy was infectious. Same with Lucic there is going to accountability.

Plus I think besides identity the health issue of many key players and having them back will affect things. I will say 20-25 point increase. I stand by that, so anywhere between 10-12 more wins very doable.

The other thing is most of these teams have taken Edmonton lightly and not seen the team battle game in and game out. People really underestimate. I don't have huge expectations for RNH/Eberle, but guys like Draisaitl/Puljuljarvi will rip it up late in the season.

Nugey McNugeson

Nov 24, 2014
Edmonton
crazy that the "yes crowd" is actually leading right now... i thought the last poll, which had a 45% "yes vote" was crazy as well, and that was less than 50% (obviously)

i'm not entirely sure we will finish higher than 13th or 14th in the conference, lol

Pretty much agree. Maybe we're both being pessimistic lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think they can compete if they can manage a league average injury rate.

The blue line may not have a huge point producer, but the addition of Larsson and the re-entry of Klefbom will be bigger than people think. I think we will be much harder to score against. Nurse can also now slide down the d-pairings and play a more natural sheltered role. I predict the D will look *a lot* more competent now, Larsson is as good as Hamonic IMO if not better.

The team is big and much more physical, the additions of Maroon and Kassian were only partially felt last year because they both were late additions, throw in Lucic and the identity of the team will be much different.

McDavid ... will be even better next year.

I'm not afraid of matching up with any team any more. Not even the "big, bad" Western Conference ... we are as big as any of them, maybe even moreso. Imagine dealing with a scrum with Lucic, Kassian, and Nurse all in your face ... even the Sharks and Kings are going to back the **** off.

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

We need another top pair D - then yes. If we don't get one, no.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I've said this before though but how far off is this D from the Islanders that got 100 points?

Larsson = Hamonic

Klefbom = Leddy

Sekera = Boychuk

Davidson + Nurse + Fayne = Hickey + de Haan + Pulock

It's not that far off IMO.

Chiarelli will probably add another d-man, but the group we have as is as long Klefbom doesn't miss 2/3 of the season again is the best one the Oilers have iced probably since 2008 or 2009.

As a roster to be honest the only thing missing is a PP QB d-man, but really beyond that ... winger depth is good, stay-at-home D is OK, center depth is great, size/physicality is now good. Intangibles/experience is still a little thin, but took a big step forward with Lucic.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If this is the roster to start the year?

Nope.

The Oilers were the worst 5v5 team in the league last year. Adam Larsson isn't going to change the team that much.

I mean of course if everything goes right it's possible. But there's just too many "ifs" regarding the defense, regarding players staying healthy, regarding players showing development and guys having bounce back years.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
If this is the roster to start the year?

Nope.

The Oilers were the worst 5v5 team in the league last year. Adam Larsson isn't going to change the team that much.

I mean of course if everything goes right it's possible. But there's just too many "ifs" regarding the defense, regarding players staying healthy, regarding players showing development and guys having bounce back years.

Having Eberle and Talbot playing his second half of the season form for game 1 would help immensely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad