Do the Canucks make the playoffs in the 2019-2020 season? (#383)

Canucks: playoff team?

• Total voters

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I am preparing myself for a Jim Benning extension.
Lots of Positive PR talk from Aquaman recently, makes me think he is trying to manipulate the reaction as early as possible.
Just a theory

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
St. louis
Colorado
Dallas
Nashville

Calgary
Vegas

Sanjose is really thin and right against it cap wise. they stay healthy on defense and they are in.

Winnipeg's defense looks very weak now. perhaps I'm wrong.

Minnesota just looks old and slow.

Los Angeles doesn't look any good either.

Anaheim is a huge I don't know. they could win the division or finish bottom 3. so many players missed so much time. even with Kesler out and Perry gone, they have some studs coming up.

Chicago with healthy goaltending and better depth at forward should compete for a spot.

Arizona always seems to be on the cusp. will injuries cripple them again?

Edmonton is shit until they prove me wrong.

6 teams and two spots. I'll give the Canucks a 45% chance. They should be close.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I voted no, cause I don’t think we are nearly better than other people’s teams on paper, but let’s see if Jim can prove us wrong. 4 years of “this team is much better than last year”.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
If our defence holds up health wise i can see wildcard as our best case scenerio. Hope they bring Hutton back even if its for 1 year, could use the depth. Is it even likely to happen or are we almost out of cap (lol).

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Yes. Guaranteed playoff team in 2020
Playoff’s, baby! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm gonna say no, but they make a push and end up somewhere between the 2019 Panthers and 2019 Habs

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
If we're talking about do we want the team to make the playoffs or not, I think the resounding answer should be no. Making the playoffs means Benning gets an extension. That would be disastrous for this team. We've suffered through half a decade of this, one more year of missing the playoffs could be the best thing to ever happen to this franchise.

I voted yes, for the simple fact it would be a typical Canucks thing to do, get extremely lucky and make the playoffs, which gives Benning an extension to further damage the team.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
I voted no. At least I hope we don't. I want that one more good pick in an expected deep draft year. Then I am going full homer in hopes of a good playoff run in 20/21.

Reactions: MikeK

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
St Louis
Colorado
Dallas
Nashville
Calgary
Vegas
San Jose
Jets

Are all ahead of us and we need to pass one of them as well as stay ahead of Hawks and Yotes. The only teams I have confidence staying ahead of are Wild, Ducks,Oilers and Kings.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
We will be better next year, but I don't see us winning a divisional spot and the Central is a buzzsaw - I see the central handily taking the 2 WC spots. As well, Arizona is much improved and Chicago added Lehner. Seems doubtful we can make it in unless we manage to place 3rd in the Pacific.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I'll say no. There's no chance we're better than Vegas, San Jose, or Calgary. I'm not even convinced we're better than Edmonton, TBH. I think we got better, but chances are we'll push for around 85 - 90 points and come up just short.

That being said, stranger things have happened. Look at the Islanders a year ago. We have a superstar centre, an excellent #2, a 1st line goal scoring winger, a shifty puck moving defenseman, and a nice looking goalie tandem. We're closer to competing now than we have in any of the last 4 or 5 seasons, and that's saying something. But we can't get blinded by the teams around us either.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I see the team improving just enough to just barely miss the playoffs. Miller should do well being welded to Pettersson and Boeser, so there's going to be a legit top line. After that, I don't see Pearson doing much, even with Bo. I don't trust his garbage time energy spurt. The bottom 6 is minus some useless bits, but there's not a lot of help down there especially as Roussel isn't supposed to be back by December, and that's coming off major surgery. Don't see him resuming his surprisingly good play from last year.

D is better simply by putting two traffic cones in where Gudbranson and Pouliot used to be; Myers and Benn are notable improvements on them. They literally can't be worse. Just not possible. Loss of Hutton mitigated by addition of Hughes...but let's not get carried away with ourselves about him. Steady help could very easily be hard to find once Edler and Tanev go down with the inevitable injuries and everyone else is forced into inappropriate roles for the millionth time. The hard parts will come yet again, and how far back the team falls depends on...

Marky, who absolutely has to carry on with his performance from last year for the team to have any chance at all...or for Demko to take over and perform at Binnington levels. Too many rosy analyses of the team's "progress" conveniently overlook how many more points were eked out by loser points after Marky dragged the team into OT last season. One of he or Demko must continue this trend.

If all that happens...I foresee a close miss. And that's not even taking into account how bad the West was last year or Pettersson having a sophomore slump or serious injury.

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
I think they are a playoff team, if they can stay relatively healthy. That is a big IF though, as we know all too well. I am fairly confident because I believe guys like Myers and Hughes, can get it up to the forwards quicker than who we had in the past. Forwards can't score, if they spend too much time in their own zone. We have some very capable forwards and I am convinced that our real problem is offensive defensemen.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Canucks have way too many question marks around them to answer this question. Biggest question is around our health, this team gets riddled with injuries every year it seems, if this happens again then they’ll miss. If they can can stay healthy and the young players keep getting better, I do think they have a long shot at making it.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
If they stay healthy then yes.

So, no.

I don't foresee Tanev and Edler staying healthy. That will be the biggest downfall. Myers can't play tough minutes. Can Hughes play against the top players in the league? Doubt it yet. I don't think Markstrom will play like he did last year. The forwards and goalie are good enough to squeak into the playoffs but the defense will likely result in them missing the playoffs.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
One big thing going for us is we seem to have a somewhat less grueling schedule this year, which hopefully will cut down on injuries. And have fewer (zero?) games where we come back from a long road trip and face a well-rested team—last year we had a bunch of those.

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
If you ignore all the variables and unknowns, yeah, we should be a better team than last year.

I don't think we're enough better to catch the teams ahead of us, and I don't believe we have enough depth to still compete if we run into our usual slew of injuries.

This would have been a good year to make moves to bolster our 20-21 and 21-22 squads which, with a bit of good luck and good management, could be decent playoff contenders. Unfortunately, Jim has put all his chips down on this year.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad