Do the Avs get over the hump this year?

Can the Avs get over the hump and make the finals?

• Total voters

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think the Avs have as good of a chance as anyone to take it all home. Once again, one of the biggest factors in winning a Cup in any given year is a little bit of luck. Building a good team only gets you so far. I think the Avs are extremely well built, we just have to catch the wave at the right time. If healthy, we're still top contenders in 2022 and that's really all you can ask for.

Oh don't say that, certain Habs fans here won't react well :laugh:

You are absolutely right though obviously. Luck is a big factor. Avs need to stay healthy and need Kadri to reign it in this year. Then it's all about the fortunate bounces.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Voted for about the same but because of our division I actually like our chances of making it out of the 2nd round and to the conference finals only to lose to Vegas again.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
It all depends on the top line. They have to be consistent the entire playoffs, not just round 1. You can't count on Kadri or Bura, so it's going to be up to the top line to handle the scoring. Unless MacK really goes off and has a '96 Sakic like performance, I predict the same thing as last season.
That’s the way it goes with this team. They never fire on all cylinders. The other year Kadri and Bura were our biggest contributors but injuries failed us and last year when we needed them they didn’t show up. Vegas is less talented but most off their team are balls out all the time

Reactions: AvsWraith
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Ye have little faith. Jost and Compher are going to become 1st line forward this year and rampage on the league. Prepare for two-way dominance and intangibles the likes that haven't been seen since peak Jonathan Toews and Patrice Bergeron.

Tyson "Rich Man's Toews" Jost - JT "Uber Bergeron" Compher - Nathan "Regular Dude" MacKinnon

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'd say there are at least 3-4 teams in the East better than the top teams in the West. Isles and Panthers are stacked. Tampa is Tampa... Toronto is deeper.
There’s no way that there’s 3-4 teams in the east better than Colorado, and I’d bet my life that every single person working in hockey agrees with me

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hello fellow avs fans. I’m just curious as to where the fans sit going into this season with all the departures and additions. Are we a better team? Are we worse then last year? Can we at least make the finals this year?
Is Bednar the coach? If so, his ceiling is second round. So that’s where we go home and Sakic fires him after that go round.

but Bednar will stupidly overplay his best guys to win a meaningless regular season award as top seed out west.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There’s no way that there’s 3-4 teams in the east better than Colorado, and I’d bet my life that every single person working in hockey agrees with me
Yea Avs are cup favorites for a reason...but outside of us and Vegas there's not much left...

In the East they have Florida, Tampa, Toronto, Washington, Boston, NYI, Carolina...

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yea Avs are cup favorites for a reason...but outside of us and Vegas there's not much left...

In the East they have Florida, Tampa, Toronto, Washington, Boston, NYI, Carolina...
The east is stronger for sure, but I wouldn’t put those teams ahead of Colorado, except maybe Tampa, but I still think we have a slight edge over Tampa. The oddsmakers are also willing to bet millions that Colorado has the best odds.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You could argue that Tampa is better, but good luck arguing that the other two are better.

Isles have been to back to back conference finals pushing the inevitable Cup champs to the brink. When they finish up their offseason, they likely end up better than last year. Florida has the deepest and most talented forward group in the league to go with elite coaching, good defense, and their weakness in Bob (Knight will win that job).

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The east is stronger for sure, but I wouldn’t put those teams ahead of Colorado, except maybe Tampa, but I still think we have a slight edge over Tampa. The oddsmakers are also willing to bet millions that Colorado has the best odds.

I don't think you understand how oddsmaking works... they do analysis then follow the flow of bets.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I don't think you understand how oddsmaking works... they do analysis then follow the flow of bets.
No I understand it, but there’s obviously a reason why Colorado is the favourite. It’s because people bet that they are.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Isles have been to back to back conference finals pushing the inevitable Cup champs to the brink. When they finish up their offseason, they likely end up better than last year. Florida has the deepest and most talented forward group in the league to go with elite coaching, good defense, and their weakness in Bob (Knight will win that job).
The Avs would smash either team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
No I understand it, but there’s obviously a reason why Colorado is the favourite. It’s because people bet that they are.

And the house always wins...

The Avs would smash either team.

They really wouldn't. I'd be surprised if the Avs could get the Isles past 6 games, let alone win. Florida/Colorado would be a fun track meet to watch. Stylistically, I think it is the best match-up for the Avs... toss up, I'd lean Florida.

I think the Isles should be the favorite to win the Cup this year. Top to bottom that is a great team with no holes. Forwards are great, defense is elite, goaltending is great, coaching is great, front office is elite... most complete organization in the NHL.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
And the house always wins...

They really wouldn't. I'd be surprised if the Avs could get the Isles past 6 games, let alone win. Florida/Colorado would be a fun track meet to watch. Stylistically, I think it is the best match-up for the Avs... toss up, I'd lean Florida.

I think the Isles should be the favorite to win the Cup this year. Top to bottom that is a great team with no holes. Forwards are great, defense is elite, goaltending is great, coaching is great, front office is elite... most complete organization in the NHL.
Tampa's scouting and development combined with their success at the NHL level ranks them as the most complete organisation ahead of NYI.

Reactions: missionAvs

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Didn’t vote because my take does not fit the choices.

Avs did not improve their pieces. We are more injury prone and less experienced than last year.

Improvement will have to come internally: in how the pieces work together (that is in part the coach and the players) and in individual growth (both improved play but also maturing and dealing better with playoff hockey).

If they become stronger mentally, yes they can win it all, they are good enough.

If they don’t or are unhealthy we will probably have another 2nd round exit.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad