Do the Avs get over the hump this year?

Can the Avs get over the hump and make the finals?

• Total voters

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
We are now the Sharks of 2006-2014. It's never happening. Figure out a way to deal with it while you still can.

Reactions: Nihiliste

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Can we please stop talking about Montreal like they’re some kind of standard for playoff success? They had one playoff run and ultimately lost decisively in the finals.

The only thing their run proved is that luck matters in sports.

Look at teams like Tampa, Pittsburgh, or Chicago to measure playoff success.
Yeah I think we would have went 6or 7 against Tampa had we made the finals

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We are now the Sharks of 2006-2014. It's never happening. Figure out a way to deal with it while you still can.
Yah those Shark teams should have won something. Meh goaltending and Joe Thornton probably why they didn't win anything. I was just thinking about the early Shark teams and how Grubauer reminds me a lot of Nabokov. Solid tender but not the guy to put you over.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah I think we would have went 6or 7 against Tampa had we made the finals
5 games at best. The Lightning would have exploited the Avs PK and Grubauer by the second period of Game 1. The Lightning could play any style and beat you at any style. Everywhere you look on that roster from the coach to the ice girls its elite.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I don't think the answer to this questions really changes all that much from last year to now based on our additions or losses. You either have a team that's good enough to do the thing or you don't, and the Avs definitely do. Whether they do it or not may as well be a role of the die the way things shake out in hockey.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
They didn’t get their ass kicked by Montreal lol they dominated most of their games and still lost.
Thanks to Fleury. Fleury was shit against the Avs but was a bit better than our guy when he needed to be. Look at the goals the Avs scored on Fleury so many of them were stinkers. The Avs let Fleury off the hook the same way they let Khudobin and Martin Jones off the hook.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
We are just Sssssssoooooooooooooooo injury prone. Two of our Defensemen are made of glass and our #3 will most likely be forced to play his off side again, where he struggles. we're missing a 2nd line winger and our other 2nd liners are known for;

1.) Going long stretches of doing absolutely nothing unless its a elimination game.

2.) Being one questionable hit away from getting suspended for the rest of the playoffs..... Again.

I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong, but I really think this year is a throwaway. We need another offseason to fix things, or yet another Sakic trade that robs a team of some unknown commodity.

If we get over that 2nd round demon, it'll be on the back of Mack, Makar, Rants and Landy.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We are just Sssssssoooooooooooooooo injury prone. Two of our Defensemen are made of glass and our #3 will most likely be forced to play his off side again, where he struggles. we're missing a 2nd line winger and our other 2nd liners are known for;

1.) Going long stretches of doing absolutely nothing unless its a elimination game.

2.) Being one questionable hit away from getting suspended for the rest of the playoffs..... Again.

I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong, but I really think this year is a throwaway. We need another offseason to fix things, or yet another Sakic trade that robs a team of some unknown commodity.

If we get over that 2nd round demon, it'll be on the back of Mack, Makar, Rants and Landy.
3/6 dman are injury prone. Makar, Murray and EJ.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean Mack and Rantanen are both top 10 all time in playoff PPG and Makar is basically a PPG dman in the playoffs and it hasn't been enough. They need more help.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think some people forget that in 2019 (quick math, yes two years ago) the Avs weren’t really expected by anyone to even make the playoffs. They snuck in as the final wild card team.

The last two second round exits have certainly been disappointing but the Avs haven’t been a top team with high expectations for as long as everyone seems to think.

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
I can't vote, but absolutely an optimistic "yes"

We also won't have to beat the 2020 capspace cheating Tampa Bay Lightning this year. The AVs got better and their competition got worse. win-win.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
It all depends on the trade-deadline. Another Shitshow next season and we wont get past Round 2......

This is still a very good team, but if Sakic shits the bed again comin deadline, well....

Soderberg and Nemeth....I still cant believe it.....That must have been the worst deadline Trades ina decade.....:facepalm:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Not sure how to vote here - the “hump” for me is having a lineup to contend for the Cup. We definitely have that, and had it last year.

to win the cup I feel like there’s so many other factors that go into it like injury, hot/cold streaks, etc etc. Multiple things have to fall in place and a lot of those sometimes aren’t even in the teams control.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I voted more of the same.

Although we won't fave Vegas until at least the 3rd round this year and I dont see any team in our division matching up to us at this point.

So actually I think we get to the 3rd round at least. Once we get to that point and play Vegas? Honestly I dunno flip a coin, that's how close it is between these two teams.

The key for the Avs in the playoffs right now is that Kadri doesn't get suspended. If he stays healthy and in the lineup, assuming no major injuries elsewhere, this roster will beat Vegas.

But, there's a lot of injury risk.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Unless you mistakenly believe that rookies are difference makers in the playoffs, I even don't see where you have room to disagree. It's a weaker version of the same team.

Yeah man Caufield was a ghost last playoffs. Makar was completely useless for us two years in a row.

You're just playing your usual pessimistic card if you think Newhook/Byram can't have a positive impact in the playoffs.

Just literally making bullshit up to fit your pessimistic line of thinking.

Reactions: AvsFan29

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
It all depends on the top line. They have to be consistent the entire playoffs, not just round 1. You can't count on Kadri or Bura, so it's going to be up to the top line to handle the scoring. Unless MacK really goes off and has a '96 Sakic like performance, I predict the same thing as last season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah man Caufield was a ghost last playoffs. Makar was completely useless for us two years in a row.

You're just playing your usual pessimistic card if you think Newhook/Byram can't have a positive impact in the playoffs.

Just literally making bullshit up to fit your pessimistic line of thinking.
Here you go again, can't help yourself can you? Good thing you're always there to put me back on track with your optimist views :laugh:

Reactions: flying v 604

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think the Avs have as good of a chance as anyone to take it all home. Once again, one of the biggest factors in winning a Cup in any given year is a little bit of luck. Building a good team only gets you so far. I think the Avs are extremely well built, we just have to catch the wave at the right time. If healthy, we're still top contenders in 2022 and that's really all you can ask for.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
In the Central, Winnipeg is really the only team that should compete with the Avs for the regular season division crown. Chicago might give it a real run if Toews can come back strong and Dach takes a step forward. They have strong center depth, goaltending, and what should be a vastly improved defense. Minny will be a solid team again, but losing Suter hurts and if they don't get Kaprizov signed, they'll fall back. I think Dallas' health will determine if they jump Minny. I have it Avs > Jets > Hawks > Stars > Minny. Pacific is likely worse than the Central... Vegas should run wild with the Division (and likely the President's Trophy). Then the Canadian teams battle for 2-4. LA could be the darkhorse.

In a playoff run likely having to go through Winnipeg and/or Chicago prior to Vegas. Avs are weaker down the middle than Winnipeg and Chicago, worse in net too, while having better defenses. Getting to Vegas, if they don't upgrade center and Avs can get through with MacK, Kadri, and Jost... they might have an advantage down the middle and on defense there.

Reactions: Richard88

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
In the Central, Winnipeg is really the only team that should compete with the Avs for the regular season division crown. Chicago might give it a real run if Toews can come back strong and Dach takes a step forward. They have strong center depth, goaltending, and what should be a vastly improved defense. Minny will be a solid team again, but losing Suter hurts and if they don't get Kaprizov signed, they'll fall back. I think Dallas' health will determine if they jump Minny. I have it Avs > Jets > Hawks > Stars > Minny. Pacific is likely worse than the Central... Vegas should run wild with the Division (and likely the President's Trophy). Then the Canadian teams battle for 2-4. LA could be the darkhorse.
Makes you realize that the East is so much stronger than the West now...it's not even funny.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Makes you realize that the East is so much stronger than the West now...it's not even funny.

I'd say there are at least 3-4 teams in the East better than the top teams in the West. Isles and Panthers are stacked. Tampa is Tampa... Toronto is deeper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad