Do teams with lower state tax rates get significant discounts?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
The basic principles of economics don’t like it.

So just to be clear. Do you really think there is no tax advantage? Agents. Media. Players. GMs. Bill Daly acknowledge it.

But you just decide it’s not true?

The tax burden is offset by population.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Oh and let's be real here. The teams you are speaking of Joe are Tampa, Florida, and Dallas. How do those three teams have an advantage?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
In terms of the NHL it pertains to revenue. The disparity in taxes evens the playing field.

And if GMs players. Managers. Coaches and insiders say it doesn’t?

This isn’t directed at you specifically but to me
It’s insane. People are just blatantly ignoring that this is a known topic and accepted fact by actual people in the NHL. They have no actual knowledge of it, but ignore people who do?

I’m not claiming to be an expert. But when multiple professionals and people who are involved report it. I kinda believe them.

Imagine it was anything else......
“Smoking causes cancer”

1.) doctors say it
2.) family members say it
3.) people who smoke say it
4.) smoking has been shown to increase cancer.

But no it doesn’t! People who don’t smoke also get cancer! I have a grandfather who smokes and he doesn’t!

The logic is just mind blowing

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
There were many primary points. Of course cost certainly was an issue. There were many issues. One of which was ensuring that small market teams didn’t become feeder teams and lose top players to big money teams.

To act like parity isn’t a huge part of it is just ridiculous. If all you want is cost certainty. Then there is No reason that teams have to have the same floor and cap right?

If the NHL decides well we want a 50/50 split of revenues. with the players. Sure.

Toronto and Montreal and New York could have double the hit right? As long as there was cost certainty and the owners got 50’percent Of the revenue. Then. Sure.

I am legitimately embarrassed for you.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I am legitimately embarrassed for you.

Overall cost certainty and revenue spliting between owners and players does not in any way require parity in cap floors or ceilings.

The NHL chooses to make the same floors and ceilings for all teams because Parity is a large part of it.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
As a Texan, we're happy to have you. Just do us all a favor and learn local driving habits and leave your northeastern ******* habits in the rearview. You think you don't have them but you do.
37ro7p.jpg

Reactions: Legionnaire

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
We know that taxes are brought up in negotiations. So therefore we know that a team with a worst tax situation has to make that up some other way, whether it's another benefit or straight up more money. That tax discounts exist should be a no brainer. The key here is are they "significant?" While the OP seems to be using a rather limited data set, the trend we see illustrates pretty clearly that whatever advantage exists is not particularly significant.

California notwithstanding, those higher taxes aren't just burning money. They typically translate into some form of public good.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I don't follow this logic. Doesn't the exhange rate also determine the price of actual goods. Like how a five dollar footlong is actually 6 CAD in Canada and 70 million pesos in Argentina, for instance.

It's not like everything costs the same number of currency units in every country.

Sure, if you live in a book

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Lol. There is no way that it should not be Colorado drivers as the worst.
I only noticed that they drove very slowly, and have to admit in spite of my meme that Tampa has its own very awful drivers that do things the New Yorkers, Michiganders, and Massholes don't do that moved to my hometown (about 45 minutes away).

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
We know that taxes are brought up in negotiations. So therefore we know that a team with a worst tax situation has to make that up some other way, whether it's another benefit or straight up more money. That tax discounts exist should be a no brainer. The key here is are they "significant?" While the OP seems to be using a rather limited data set, the trend we see illustrates pretty clearly that whatever advantage exists is not particularly significant.

California notwithstanding, those higher taxes aren't just burning money. They typically translate into some form of public good.

I'm sorry, but the bolded bugs me. I've seen this many times.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Again. No one is saying they have to make every single thing equal.

What we are
Saying is. If you artificially impose a system and claim it provides parity. Then it has to be fair.

That’s the problem

So should the NHL also impose caps on how much a player can make in endorsements, since some teams can take advantage of that?

What about caps on the quality of life in each city? An entertainment cap? Climate cap?

A straight salary cap is as fair as it’s going to get to keep everyone happy

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
a) taxes can be evaded, legally.

b) nobody talks about it, so I feel I have to: my guess is for the players, salary before tax has something psychological about it. Yeah, I know, there might be a reason why I'm the only one. But I do believe the players regards their wage as a way to see if the team is interested in them. And that would be the wage, before tax.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So should the NHL also impose caps on how much a player can make in endorsements, since some teams can take advantage of that?

What about caps on the quality of life in each city? An entertainment cap? Climate cap?

A straight salary cap is as fair as it’s going to get to keep everyone happy

Personally... no. I mean they can try to control what is fair. Where’s the line?

Mcdavid is too fast. Give him ankle weights
Chara is too tall. Make him play on his knees!

I personally think all of it is dumb. That’s not the natural state. But ultimately I don’t care what they cap. But whatever they cap. Make it fair.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Personally... no. I mean they can try to control what is fair. Where’s the line?

Mcdavid is too fast. Give him ankle weights
Chara is too tall. Make him play on his knees!

I personally think all of it is dumb. That’s not the natural state. But ultimately I don’t care what they cap. But whatever they cap. Make it fair.

It is fair. The cap and floor are fundamentally restrictions on the entire league distributed evenly among all teams. It doesn't make all the teams equal but that was never the point.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
a) taxes can be evaded, legally.

b) nobody talks about it, so I feel I have to: my guess is for the players, salary before tax has something psychological about it. Yeah, I know, there might be a reason why I'm the only one. But I do believe the players regards their wage as a way to see if the team is interested in them. And that would be the wage, before tax.

And they can also go after you forever.

How many celebrities go bankrupt?there are a whole bunch of ex stars making Netflix movies now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00