Do teams with lower state tax rates get significant discounts?

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Ovechkin and McDavid at the time of signing were the same caliber of player.

The equivalent to Ovechkin's contract would've been McDavid signing a 13-year contract for $12,615,000.

It is widely known that McDavid did his team a big favor with the contract he signed. Now imagine how much of a favor it was that Ovechkin signed to an almost identical AAV for 5 more UFA years.

Also, Ovechkin could easily command over 15% of the cap today, even at his age.

When Ovechkin in signed in January 2008 the cap was 50.3M. It wasn't known if and by how much the cap would increase. You could argue that the cap was expected to increase though, and that both had different projections at the time of how much it would be increased year by year. Ovechkin signing in July of 2017 would have been 14.22 over 13 years though.

You think he gets +15% on a 8 years contract now too? Playing until he is 41? Or do you mean if the previous contract was 8 and he signed at 30?

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Oh boy...

Oh, girlfriend. Don't you go there. Uh uh.

PM me. I'll tell you why and how.

I'll say this up front and hope it won't be deleted because it could be considered political...

I've been all over. 18 out of 39 states. Great country with some really sweet people. Some not so much, but that is no different than anywhere.

Mexico has more natural resources than California. Yet, California is the 6th largest economy in the world. Why not Mexico? I'll give you one good reason - people are fleeing instead of fighting the corruption.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Life isn't fair, and it sure as hell isn't Lake Wobegone. The sooner people realize this, the better.

Well we should tell that to fans and markets that don’t support their teams........

Remember. The NHL artificially imposed “fair”.

They just missed a big part

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
As a resident of the worst state in the union, New York, I’m looking to leave as soon as possible.

Taxes are a primary motivation and Austin Texas is high on my list.

Austin was in consideration but at this point and time we missed out on the 3 bed 2 bath for 70k era. Austin is growing still.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
If I end up there I’ll be a new grad making six figures, so I don’t mind the housing prices.

I’m mostly concerned about income tax.

Haha. Cool. Nice. You're either in Oil or tech. So yeah, you're going to make a lot of salary, but most people divest.

Austin is still a bargain and your home will only appreciate. What I meant was that it was much easier to buy your home plus one.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You misrepresented my post by saying that I put everything on this one evaluation model to be completely accurate across all players and ages. I didn't. I specifically made it very clear that was not the case.
Lol, what? How did I misrepresent that? You literally did put everything on the one evaluation model. Your whole entire "calculation" and thread is based around how close real contracts are to this one model...

You can say "oh it's a bit flawed", but that didn't stop you from using it. That didn't stop you from posting it. That didn't stop you from saying you took an "objective look" , knowing full well that you had your mind made up ages ago. That didn't stop you from saying you used "all of the data available", which is clearly untrue, and you even admit it. That didn't stop you from stating conclusions that weren't even supported by your own results, and making assumptions about what it would show you if the tax advantage was true. If you didn't put a lot into that model to be right across all players and circumstances, we wouldn't be here in this thread.

Literally all you said about the flaws of the model was that there were a couple wonky outliers that may not line up with people's thoughts. There is so much more wrong with this method, and all I did was point out some of them.

And I'll post this again, since all you seem to do is personally attack me and run away from answering things about your methods in your thread, while you literally do the thing that you ran away because of last time. Even by your evaluation, the average of the 5 no-tax states is 98.38%. The average of the 5 locations with taxes over 50% is 113.16%.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
One thing to consider, I assume players in high tax areas are able to get more endorsement deals because they're typically bigger markets.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
As a resident of the worst state in the union, New York, I’m looking to leave as soon as possible.

Taxes are a primary motivation and Austin Texas is high on my list.

As a Texan, we're happy to have you. Just do us all a favor and learn local driving habits and leave your northeastern asshole habits in the rearview. You think you don't have them but you do.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Haha. Cool. Nice. You're either in Oil or tech. So yeah, you're going to make a lot of salary, but most people divest.

Austin is still a bargain and your home will only appreciate. What I meant was that it was much easier to buy your home plus one.
Come to DFW where you can own a half acre 5 bedroom plus pool in the country burbs for what most Californians pay for a 2 bed 1.5 bath.

Reactions: Legionnaire

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
What we are saying is. If you artificially impose a system and claim it provides parity. Then it has to be fair.

That’s the problem

Who artificially imposed a system and claimed it provided parity?

Certainly not the National Hockey League. They imposed a system that provided cost certainty. They had a massive battle in order to do it and the term "cost certainty" was heard literally daily. The word parity never came up.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi
Jan 9, 2007
Australia

Certainly not the National Hockey League. They imposed a system that provided cost certainty. They had a massive battle in order to do it and the term "cost certainty" was heard literally daily. The word parity never came up.
Yes and it's a little funny that we hear this over and over from fans of one of the wealthiest teams.

They would lose their shit if TB, Nashville, and Dallas all had loose purse strings and the ability to offer the no state income tax.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

UMMmmmmmm sorry you know that how?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes and it's a little funny that we hear this over and over from fans of one of the wealthiest teams.

They would lose their **** if TB, Nashville, and Dallas all had loose purse strings and the ability to offer the no state income tax.

Because the wealthiest fan bases have to pay money for teams like Florida and Arizona to have teams?

If you had to pay extra for your neighbour to drive a Lexus at half price while you drove a Honda. That would probably bug you as well

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
There's also the exchange rate. Someone making 10m usd in Canada is basically making around 13 million CAD.

3 extra million to offset some of that higher tax burden

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
One player is 5 foot 9 another is 6 foot 5. Where's the parity?

Life is not fair. Get used to it, or you're going to have a tough time.

Parity. LOL

Reactions: tealhockey
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Because the wealthiest fan bases have to pay money for teams like Florida and Arizona to have teams?

If you had to pay extra for your neighbour to drive a Lexus at half price while you drove a Honda. That would probably bug you as well
Matthews, Marner, Tavares. Yeah, that is a nice Honda.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
There's also the exchange rate. Someone making 10m usd in Canada is basically making around 13 million CAD.

3 extra million to offset some of that higher tax burden
I don't follow this logic. Doesn't the exhange rate also determine the price of actual goods. Like how a five dollar footlong is actually 6 CAD in Canada and 70 million pesos in Argentina, for instance.

It's not like everything costs the same number of currency units in every country.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Of course they do Stamkos at 8.5 mil, Kucherov at 9.5 mill, Karlsson at 5.9 and BARKOV at less than 6 million is you need, not to mention your boys Meier and Labanc.

It doesn't happen in 100% of cases but it happens more often than not

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Do you not remember the lockout? It was the primary talking point. Are you serious with this?

There were many primary points. Of course cost certainly was an issue. There were many issues. One of which was ensuring that small market teams didn’t become feeder teams and lose top players to big money teams.

To act like parity isn’t a huge part of it is just ridiculous. If all you want is cost certainty. Then there is No reason that teams have to have the same floor and cap right?

If the NHL decides well we want a 50/50 split of revenues. with the players. Sure.

Toronto and Montreal and New York could have double the hit right? As long as there was cost certainty and the owners got 50’percent Of the revenue. Then. Sure.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Clarkie won't like this.

The basic principles of economics don’t like it.

So just to be clear. Do you really think there is no tax advantage? Agents. Media. Players. GMs. Bill Daly acknowledge it.

But you just decide it’s not true?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1