Do rec-league goalies pay to play?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
No goalie at shinny today ... we played 3 on 3 and hit posts, it was fun.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your skate.

You seem to have a lot of pent-up anger against goaltenders. I hope that you're able to resolve that within yourself someday. Until then - happy skating.

CSampson

Apr 8, 2009
I run my own team and I don't charge our goalie. I get an extra player to pay full price instead, giving me insurance if someone can't make it, and giving our goalie (who's very good) incentive to make us a priority.

IniNew

Dec 8, 2008
Keller
I run my own team and I don't charge our goalie. I get an extra player to pay full price instead, giving me insurance if someone can't make it, and giving our goalie (who's very good) incentive to make us a priority.

So you get a player that doesn't get to play full time to pay a full time payment just so your goalie can get by for free?

Now, that's wrong.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton

This guy who pays has got to be the dumbest sob ever. This is a ****head move you are pulling.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
If everyone gets equal time, then it is not "one guy" who is paying. Besides that, if it is important to the players on the team that they play in front of a good goalie, it may be worth it to them.

Its an "extra player" paying full price. Sure it maybe worth it to them, doesnt make it right. Its a beer league ffs!

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
Its an "extra player" paying full price. Sure it maybe worth it to them, doesnt make it right. Its a beer league ffs!

I agree it's wrong, presuming that the "extra player" isn't getting an equal share of time. That seems like such a poor arrangement that I assumed he meant he was just working one more guy into the mix.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Hey I expressed an opinion ... goalies are on the ice like everyone else but do not wish to pay like everyone else.

I suppose if people ran a baseball team pitchers play for free too right?

I think it's crap and was being honest.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Little late to this thread, but I've played with 3 different groups that rented the ice. 2 of them for certain did not charge the goalies, I think the third may have.

I want to have goalies in both nets personally. No, it's not a league game or anything, but the whole dynamic is completely changed. When you're playing posts(sometimes we'll hang a sweater on the crossbar), once a guy's 10 feet inside the blueline, he's looking to shoot. Unless there is a defender right on him, he's not passing. There is no play behind the net(which is kind of where I'm usually a little more effective, so I am a bit biased), and the other team isn't really defending, they are just hoping to make you miss with your shot. You're not trying to set anything up, or work the puck to the point, just trying to get a shot and then skating back the other way. There's never a sustained time of holding the puck in the zone.

You really are only playing somewhat normal hockey in 2 of the three zones. You can break a sweat, yes, but..it's much better when both nets are occupied.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Our goalie plays in 7 other divisions in our league, and apparently were the only team to make him pay full price. I guess maybe were just cheap but every other goalie we've had...about 5 others have had no problem paying. I wasn't even really aware goalies playing for free was common until coming across this thread.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Hey I expressed an opinion ... goalies are on the ice like everyone else but do not wish to pay like everyone else.

I suppose if people ran a baseball team pitchers play for free too right?

I think it's crap and was being honest.

It would be closer to your way of thinking, albeit equally silly, to try to make the umpire pay his share for being on the field as well.

Superstar Treatment

Sep 20, 2009
732 Jersey
The way teams I've played on have gone it's,

If you're "our" goalie and you play with us every season, you pay.

If we picked you up 'cause we need a goalie, we pay.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I play both player and goalie. I've played goalie for 2 groups who just rent and divide it. When I'm goalie I have never payed a penny. I was never asked to pay. When they recruited me I was told goaltenders played for free.

Now, does that make me a bad guy? Of course not.

Most goalies who don't pay, do so because it's an unwritten common "rule". If the group is short on money and ask the goalie to pay then I assume most goalies would(myself included).

SoCalShark

Apr 1, 2007
The OC
I wouldn't care ... playing "hit the post" is fun too and we've done it often. The only time you NEED a goalie is for a league game otherwise who cares honestly.

I don't care for a goalie's attitude who thinks people cannot play without him so he doesn't have to pay.

If I played goal I would pay as to not look like a tool.

I pay now after having the attitude of the equipment is more expensive ... blah blah blah... Didn't like it at 1st, but I like the team I'm on and feel that I'm pitching in to help them get the league fee paid.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Goalies pay full price in leagues here.

We never pay for open hockey.

Hell, there is a rink around here that pays the first two goalies ten bucks to show up.

Sign me up.

:laugh:

I'm a goalie and I feel like a celebrity when I show up to play. I never understood why no one wants to play goal. When I go to play I usually bring my old gear with me in case someone wants to try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad