GDT: Do or Die - Game 5 Avs @ Flames, 8:00 MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
Finally, I like the change in line up based on practice.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Frolik-Jankowski-Czarnik
Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

Been calling for Bennett on the top line for the past two games. Lindholm should be an improvement over Frolik who has also looked a bit slow out there (also Frolik has always responded well to a demonition during the regular season) for the shutdown line. Not a fan of Czarnik but better than Neal who cant defend for anything against the transition game right now.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I don't hate Neal, but this wasn't the series for him. Should have played Czarnik from game 3 onwards.

Still think Neal can help us against a Vegas or Winnipeg. Just gotta do the improbable and roll off three straight 5 on 8.
He can't help us. Forget about him. We will win tonight and we will the next 2 games too. I am talking about this season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Interesting. They actually scratched Neal. Should make this off season pretty interesting; would imagine both parties want out at this point. Not that a trade would be at all easy but who knows what Treliving conjures up.

Czarnik's speed should hopefully help but more importantly, Peters better not resort to the same old tired lines if these ones don't pay off immediately. Keep the blender going.

And in light of Francis's comments, I'm looking forward to Brodie's long term extension this summer and learning that Gaudreau was battling through a whole host injuries.

What did Francis say?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Mike Smith's had his ups and downs this season and I've certainly done my fair share of bitching about him during the regular season. That said, for Francis to go in the record and say that about him while he's doing his best to the keep the team in the playoffs is out of line.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
From the main board: Sportsnet's Eric Francis RIPS Johnny Gaudreau and Flames

Haven't actually listened to any of it (why would anyone voluntarily listen to Francis) so I can't actually vouch for it but it's probably true. Very similar to his comments on Monahan last year.
I took one for the team

Cancelled hotel room in Colorado (game 6) hasn't cancelled plane tickets yet but will likely have to do that.

Flames top line completely invisible this entire series.

Gaudreau won't go the extra mile (compared to Marner whos hailed as a hero for blocing shots, backchecking) and if not scoring is a one trick pony. No change from the Anaheim series. Disappears when the going gets tough.

Offseason: Brodie will be traded. "You can write this down" not because they don't like him, too high risk too many mistakes. Need a goalie; Smith won't be back in any capacity despite this performance. Too many fans dislike him.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Here's the optimistic Flames fan in me:

- There's no way Calgary loses a Game 7 at home.

- If we make it to Game 6, we'll have a "we gotta go home anyways so let's go home with a win" although that'll be the toughest game

- tonight is what I'm most worried about because I think some of the players might have the "let's just get this over with tonight" mentality which I hope is completely stupid of me to think but the Dome's atmosphere is gonna play a massive part on how fired up our players get so the Dome needs to get LOUD and PROUD right off the opening faceoff.

Come on boys

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I took one for the team

I do think Brodie and Gaudreau's days in Calgary are numbered.

I have heard rumblings that the Flames are going to take a serious run at Lehner. Not sure how I feel about that but his pedigree is good and he has looked amazing thus far in the playoffs.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Win this one then worry about the next. Flames had quite a few 3 game + winning streaks this year. They can do it. I believe they will. Go Flames!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To make all of those statements? There were quite a number of drastic changes incoming/announced with his insider info.

I doubt most of it.

Also, he should concentrate on the final game instead of making a tombstone message.

Oh, and canceling his hotel room in Colorado? :facepalm: Flames just went to OT there.

Hence, emotional Nancy.

He was referencing another of Francis' finest moments.

Reactions: Janks and Sk8M8

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I don’t know about you guys, but I’m looking forward to seeing lindholm on the second line. I think he’s gonna play great there

Reactions: Sk8M8

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I do think Brodie and Gaudreau's days in Calgary are numbered.
I get the sense of this too. Brodie will of course probably be moved much sooner, if not ASAP. But you don’t trade the guy who just led your team in scoring this year.

I still have a hard time pinning all the blame on Gaudreau though. He hasn’t looked good but Monahan hasn’t even been breathing the same air as Johnny from the looks of it. He’s like a slightly better Neal at this point, which isn’t saying much. Lindholm at least has flashes of decency, I guess. He looks like he gives a crap sometimes.

When it comes down to it, I trust that Treliving will make the moves that are right for this team in the summer. And frankly, we could all be singing a different tune tomorrow if the Flames - from top to bottom - come out and dominate tonight like we know they can. But to get back to what you said, tonight is do or die for the Flames and that means for a lot of the players in an individual sense as well.

Reactions: SKRusty

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I can' count how many three game winning streaks we had this year. And I don't think we won a single game in a shoot-out and yet we ended up 2nd in the NHL.

Also, the last game went to OT after it was tied up by Colorado in the third.

We still have a legit chance, one game at a time, to take this series. It's game one for us tonight.

*Additionally, this core hasn't been to many playoffs yet. Johnny was great in the first round in 2015, maybe our best player alongside Ferland. He was decent in the second round and probably the only player to show up.

The whole team has had issues since the All-Star Break, looking like a shell of the team that we iced for two months prior to the break. Yet somehow they continued to win.

So let's see what happens. I think we win tonight and win the series still.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I get the sense of this too. Brodie will of course probably be moved much sooner, if not ASAP. But you don’t trade the guy who just led your team in scoring this year.

I still have a hard time pinning all the blame on Gaudreau though. He hasn’t looked good but Monahan hasn’t even been breathing the same air as Johnny from the looks of it. He’s like a slightly better Neal at this point, which isn’t saying much. Lindholm at least has flashes of decency, I guess. He looks like he gives a crap sometimes.

When it comes down to it, I trust that Treliving will make the moves that are right for this team in the summer. And frankly, we could all be singing a different tune tomorrow if the Flames - from top to bottom - come out and dominate tonight like we know they can. But to get back to what you said, tonight is do or die for the Flames and that means for a lot of the players in an individual sense as well.

I think Monahan is on the block more than Johnny. Brodie IMO has been on the trade block for at least two years but the coin keeps landing tails.

My bet is they stick with this core for another year or two. Our top line, heck, our top 6 might have been the best in hockey for December and January. That's not exactly a two week anomaly.

Something went down with the length of the All-Star Break, the edge and mojo was gone and it was a frustrating year afterward.

I'm about 70-30 nothing happens outside of goaltending and maybe a Brodie trade.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
If we can put down a solid effort, get back to our game, I can see the boys turning this around, get their swagger back. Getting momentum is going to be so important, if Colorado comes out guns blazing and the boys are on their heels, I fear the worst.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
All these rumors are things we don't need at the moment. All we need is a win tonight, and confidence.
Leave the rumors to the off-season. F- You Francis.
He's an idiot.
We have a fantastic team and core here, it's up to them to get things done when their back is against the wall. You can't trade the team away in the playoffs, so why even talk about it. Media members are assholes.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I think Monahan is on the block more than Johnny. Brodie IMO has been on the trade block for at least two years but the coin keeps landing tails.

My bet is they stick with this core for another year or two. Our top line, heck, our top 6 might have been the best in hockey for December and January. That's not exactly a two week anomaly.

Something went down with the length of the All-Star Break, the edge and mojo was gone and it was a frustrating year afterward.

I'm about 70-30 nothing happens outside of goaltending and maybe a Brodie trade.
You're probably right. If you can keep Gaudreau, and flip Monahan + some assets for a true 1C, then you absolutely do it IMO. But they probably stick with this core for another year. They've only been together for one full season.

The biggest thing for this team is, and continues to be, mental problems. Why did they dip after the ASG break? Why do they collapse in the playoffs? These things are not impossible to overcome, but they are frustrating and are sizeable red flags for what's to come if they don't continue to improve, even if that means making bold changes.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We are still in this guys. Win a few and it's back in Calgary for game 7. Calgary is a streaky team, we all know this. It's going to be tough to put us away. Can't trade away anybody anyways right now. Just back the boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad