Do Most Minor League Hockey Teams Profit Year to Year?

Artie Fufkin

Jan 11, 2014
This would be interesting to research, regarding the attendance in the non championship rounds of playoffs.

Based on casually or even diligently looking at turnstile figures for playoff games on league websites the past 7 0r 8 years....I would say few if any. The same level, perhaps, but I can't recall one where it was higher in the playoffs. That is unscientific and just looking but it becomes difficult without season ticket holders, group sales, higher per price tickets, outdoor events, kids school events, etc.

Keep in mind that a playoff schedule cannot be played exclusively on weekends. That means there are a lot of playoff games on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, which are bad draw days, even in the regular season.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Eh, only five might be a bit of a stretch, and I'd add Chicago as an easy profitable team.

I wouldn't. It was openly passed around by the fan base (at least back in '05 when I started attending) that the owner was using the Wolves as a tax write off for his other endeavors, but under the guise of a "low cost family friendly entertainment option."

You gotta figure the cost of renting the Allstate Arena, cost of renting/leasing space at Hoffman Estates for their practice facility, purchasing of air-time on local TV for games (for almost a decade, EVERY game was televised). Price of the veterans brought in on Wolves only contracts (rumor was they were 1/4th of the NHL league minimum, and that was in 2008).

Looking at how the team operates today, I'd think they're shoring up the finances so the losses aren't as "shoveling cash into a furnace" like they were. So... they're probably a lot closer to 0 than they used to be.

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
AHL teams alone have to pay for an affiliation fee(if they aren't NHL owned) and if they are NHL owned its just an easy way to lose money. Tax write off for an owner and what not. Pump nothing in...get nothing.

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
I remember back in the day the IHL Cincinnati Cyclones had large crowds. I managed to see a ECHL Cyclones game highlights and there's barely anyone there.
Cincinnati used to have 2 hockey teams. Now they barely support 1.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
I remember back in the day the IHL Cincinnati Cyclones had large crowds. I managed to see a ECHL Cyclones game highlights and there's barely anyone there.
Cincinnati used to have 2 hockey teams. Now they barely support 1.
Barely support it? Last year, the Cyclones averaged 6,000 per game and this year they are at over 6,100 per game. They have made great strides over the last 8-10 years.

Reactions: Atlantian and JMCx4

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
Barely support it? Last year, the Cyclones averaged 6,000 per game and this year they are at over 6,100 per game. They have made great strides over the last 8-10 years.
The highlights I was showed had barely anyone there. If that's not the case my apologies but I saw what I saw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad