Do Most Minor League Hockey Teams Profit Year to Year?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Anything on this would help

Complicated question as the Minor-Pro Leagues in North America are all structured differently, only the AHL similar to the NHL. There is no real "central source" or reservoir of business inf that combines financial data on the Federal Hockey League, the old Central Hockey League and the ECHL along with the AHL. To say that its a battle, that only a very few Minor League Teams actually turn a profit would be an understatement. Some are quite successful but on the whole, no. We have Minor League Boards here at hfBoards btw, which is where Im going to put this thread as followers of those leagues would have at least both anecdotally along with media reports (which are sparse Im afraid) the type of inf your seeking.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Inbound from BOH

And we can carry on here on this Board, ECHL & other minor-pro leagues...

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
For the most part, teams don't turn a profit. There are a few that can make it work but at the same time, you'll see teams so far in the red, you're surprised they were ever even in sniffing distance of the black.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
It's a tax write off for a rich person or company.

And other than personal experience seeing the business side of teams, I don't have any verification. I can tell you how much money a team like the Mississippi Surge was in the red for when Tim Kerr took over but since I have no link to prove it, I won't post it to avoid breaking forum rules about rumors and evidence.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Then how do they stay in existence? Why bother losing money every year?

A large majority of minor league hockey teams at the AA and A levels lose money. I don't know about the AHL.

The owners bother losing money every year for a wide variety of reasons, but the common thread I noticed was that every owner seemed to believe they were much smarter than everyone else they encountered - and that the reason their teams were losing money was because of staff deficiencies.

To them, it had nothing to do with the fact that the asset they foolishly purchased is, was and always would be a money-pit.

And is there any proof of this, or are you all making educated guesses?

Was VP of Corporate Partnerships for a AA team. Had inside knowledge and access to numbers.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
I know in the ECHL back when Toledo was still a "new" team that in the playoffs all teams in it never made a profit unless they made it to the finals I believe. Toledo "broke even" their first year / first playoff season, all other teams lose money in postseason play---or at least did.

I would assume if there is ever an official deal between leagues, that might help stabilize more franchises.

Artie Fufkin

Jan 11, 2014
I know in the ECHL back when Toledo was still a "new" team that in the playoffs all teams in it never made a profit unless they made it to the finals I believe. Toledo "broke even" their first year / first playoff season, all other teams lose money in postseason play---or at least did.

I would assume if there is ever an official deal between leagues, that might help stabilize more franchises.

Playoffs are generally money losers for minor league teams, because they can't do group sales for playoff games. The hope is that a team will make a long run, which encourages a strong walk up crowd.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Lol. If I had to guess between the AHL and formerly all AA hockey I would say you could count them all on one hand and three franchises were easy

Fort Wayne, Hershey and Alaska. I would also guess the Colorado Eagles and St. John's Ice Caps

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Playoffs are generally money losers for minor league teams, because they can't do group sales for playoff games. The hope is that a team will make a long run, which encourages a strong walk up crowd.

You wouldn't think so necessarily, especially with teams with strong fanbases (Toledo) but it seems to be the case.

I remember after years of no playoffs, the Walleye got in and....hardly anyone showed (in comparison to normal games) it was a joke and played right into what most of the haters would talk about management.

With a lot of teams now closer to each other, especially in the East/Central area of the country I can see traveling fans making an impact in that regard and especially if the E becomes a legit AA supplier to the NHL and more franchises stabilize.

Andre Poodle Lussier

Apr 1, 2012
Semi seclusion

One would think the ECHL would streamline the playoffs because of this, in deference to trying to lose as little money as possible.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
The problem is "getting into them" gives you something to brag about, people complain otherwise.

It's a catch 22 in some ways.

It's not just about bragging -- it's about the revenue. If there's a chance of post-season play, casual fans are more likely to shell out their money for tickets. If the team is already mathematically eliminated from the post-season, that would seriously dry up that revenue stream... so teams need to keep the hope of a championship alive, thus more playoff spots. So yes, indeed, a bit of a double bind.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Lol. If I had to guess between the AHL and formerly all AA hockey I would say you could count them all on one hand and three franchises were easy

Fort Wayne, Hershey and Alaska. I would also guess the Colorado Eagles and St. John's Ice Caps

Eh, only five might be a bit of a stretch, and I'd add Chicago as an easy profitable team.

But yeah, no doubt. Profitability in minor league hockey is undoubtedly the exception, and not the rule.

Artie Fufkin

Jan 11, 2014
Eh, only five might be a bit of a stretch, and I'd add Chicago as an easy profitable team.

But yeah, no doubt. Profitability in minor league hockey is undoubtedly the exception, and not the rule.

Don Levin has stated that a good year for the Wolves is if they break even.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
While the team's balance sheet may be in the red, the owners in Lake Erie and San Antonio may make money when concessions, parking, etc. are factored in (the AHL owners control the arena in those cases).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In 1998-99, there were 63 non AHL minor league hockey teams (IHL-16, ECHL-27,CHL-11, UHL-9.) This year, there are 36 (ECHL-28, SPHL-8). ***The FHL doesn't count:laugh:*** That's a decrease of 43% in 16 years. Probably safe to assume that making a buck in the minors is very difficult. Also safe to assume that most franchises aren't rich men's toys nor worthwhile tax write offs or the numbers wouldn't have precipitously dropped to the levels which they have in such a short time.

The AHL has grown from 19 to 30 in that time, but the evolution of the development system to a one AHL team for each NHL team is responsible for that-along with the demise of the IHL which had teams serve as the #1 affiliate for a few NHL organIzations. More and more AHL teams are becoming owned by their NHL parent clubs and when an NHL team owns its AHL affiliate, it is usually willing to absorb fairly substantial losses in operating these franchises as part of their player development costs.

I would expect non AHL minor league teams to continue to contract as time goes on. I don't see the ECHL having more than 20 teams (from its current 28) by 2020. Would love to be very wrong about this.

Last edited:

Andre Poodle Lussier

Apr 1, 2012
Semi seclusion
It's not just about bragging -- it's about the revenue. If there's a chance of post-season play, casual fans are more likely to shell out their money for tickets. If the team is already mathematically eliminated from the post-season, that would seriously dry up that revenue stream... so teams need to keep the hope of a championship alive, thus more playoff spots. So yes, indeed, a bit of a double bind.

Are there examples of teams that have drawn better on average in the playoffs (not the championship series) than in the regular season? I'm curious of know how many casual fans really pay attention in April, May given weather is nicer and families have youth sports and other outdoor activities going on.

And, with regard to the playoffs, streamlining to me means shorter series and not necessarily fewer teams (best of 3 or 5 outside of the Championship).

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Are there examples of teams that have drawn better on average in the playoffs (not the championship series) than in the regular season? I'm curious of know how many casual fans really pay attention in April, May given weather is nicer and families have youth sports and other outdoor activities going on.

And, with regard to the playoffs, streamlining to me means shorter series and not necessarily fewer teams (best of 3 or 5 outside of the Championship).

This would be interesting to research, regarding the attendance in the non championship rounds of playoffs.

Based on casually or even diligently looking at turnstile figures for playoff games on league websites the past 7 0r 8 years....I would say few if any. The same level, perhaps, but I can't recall one where it was higher in the playoffs. That is unscientific and just looking but it becomes difficult without season ticket holders, group sales, higher per price tickets, outdoor events, kids school events, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad