Do I still need to justify why Draisaitl is the greatest?

McDavid87

Jan 5, 2018
Last season more than half of this board argued that Draisaitl is not better than McDavid. I'll give you that, since he was only SLIGHTLY better. But this year, Draisaitl has proven he's better.

I know that people argue "but he can't play without McDavid"

I think it's time to say "McDavid can't play without Draisaitl"

Regardless of what you think, we are lucky to have these 2.

Rusoilers

Дмитрий Самуроков 38
Oct 9, 2019
Siberia
Mcdavid is better overall but drai is having a better season so far. Mcdavid being injured last game of the season probably had a lot to do with this. Draisaitl is still elite but mcdavid is clearly the best player in the league when fully trained and healthy.

Reactions: ujju2

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Last season more than half of this board argued that Draisaitl is not better than McDavid. I'll give you that, since he was only SLIGHTLY better. But this year, Draisaitl has proven he's better.

giphy.gif

Reactions: TB12

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Draisaitl is playing a bit better right now, but here's the thing - 1) he didn't have a significant injury that he had to manage all summer and work his way back from, 2) he's a year and a half older than McDavid - more physically mature, more experience in general.

He's been our best player so far this season, but that doesn't make him better than McDavid. He's phenomenal, but the only reason that this debate is going on is because McDavid doesn't quite look like himself so far. Give it longer than a 16 game sample size and I'd be shocked if people still try to argue that Draisaitl is better. I don't doubt that Draisaitl will look better than McDavid sometimes - maybe he'll even finish the season at a higher level. But McDavid was the #1 player on this team for his first 287 games - Draisaitl doesn't steal the crown after 16 games this season.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013

This can't be real.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think Draisaitl is playing a more mature game at the moment. He's focused on improving the defensive aspects of his game to become a solid 200 foot player, but I believe McDavid's will improve with age.

I also think that McDavid has a bit of a 'do it all' mentality that will subside as he matures.

That being said, in terms of pure talent, Draisaitl isn't in the same stratusphere as Connor.

Reactions: McTedi and HK97

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Pastrnk is better than both.:D

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Draisaitl is Anze Kopitar's Offensive Ceiling this season.

That's exactly what we needed with McDavid when he's fighting it like this.

But come on. Let's keep our Draisaitl fanboyism to the right level. I saw what happened with some Penguins fans.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I think Draisaitl is playing a more mature game at the moment. He's focused on improving the defensive aspects of his game to become a solid 200 foot player, but I believe McDavid's will improve with age.

I also think that McDavid has a bit of a 'do it all' mentality that will subside as he matures.

That being said, in terms of pure talent, Draisaitl isn't in the same stratusphere as Connor.

Agree. More than the points and goals, I'm liking the improved effort and responsible play of Drai. He is giving more of an effort to play a more mature and 200ft game than Connor for sure so far.

You're so right about Connor wanting to basically do it all every shift as far as offence is concerned and definitely neglects the defensive side from time to time. He was getting really bad with that the second half of last year when there was rampant cheating and floating and flybys in his game. I do hope he starts to mature his game as well and recognize that defence and just playing the right way all the time thru 200ft of the ice is just as important. It sets an example and precendent for the other lines to follow. As a captain you should be doing the right things as often as possible.

Connor definitely still has more flat out ability as you say and can take a game over much more so and much more consistently if he wanted to than drai. No doubt. That being said Drai has started to improve this aspect of his game where he's gaining a bit of that ability and a lot of it i think has to do with his improved skating abilities. he looks a bit quicker, more agile and lighter on his feet. This improvement has been occuring for a year or two now. I think i remember someone saying he's changed his training in the offseason for more explosiveness and quickness, and a bit less on strength. Agility and explosive acceleration is more important than a great top speed and he's realized that.

Sometimes playing wing responsibilities can hamper a bit of that engagement from a player who's normally center. You have to be a bit more engaged in your thinking and skating as a center. I feel like sometimes when connor is floating or having a bleh shift he looks like he's playing wing responsibilities.... more "stuck" to board responsibilities. Sucks because these guys work so well together but both play better when they're responsible for center duties.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Draisaitl is playing a bit better right now, but here's the thing - 1) he didn't have a significant injury that he had to manage all summer and work his way back from, 2) he's a year and a half older than McDavid - more physically mature, more experience in general.

He's been our best player so far this season, but that doesn't make him better than McDavid. He's phenomenal, but the only reason that this debate is going on is because McDavid doesn't quite look like himself so far. Give it longer than a 16 game sample size and I'd be shocked if people still try to argue that Draisaitl is better. I don't doubt that Draisaitl will look better than McDavid sometimes - maybe he'll even finish the season at a higher level. But McDavid was the #1 player on this team for his first 287 games - Draisaitl doesn't steal the crown after 16 games this season.

Yeah Drai spent the summer running up mountains every Friday lol

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Was mcdavid lying and really born in 87? Hmmm

McDavid87

Jan 5, 2018
Who has a better shot?
Who has a better pass?
Who has a better backhand pass?
Who is better at face offs?
Who is better at penalty kills?

Draisaitl for all of those questions.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Draisaitl is better at most things than McDavid. But in 2 things McDavid has a pretty big advantage which (at least) even out their overall ability:

1) McDavids skating is just waaaay better and since the game is played on ice it is a big factor.
2) McDavid makes a lot less simple mistakes than Draisaitl. Draisaitl can be an insane passer, but sometimes his passing is really off which you just don't see from McDavid in that frequency.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Nice problem to have. I like Drai more. His skills are ridiculous and he's so freaking big. In the playoffs he would dominate the league.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
The debate should be whether you want Pastrnak or Draisaitl on your team. Both players playing at another level right now. Best players in their respective country by a country mile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad