Do Crosby & Malkin get any more cups?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Elite centers and a #1D are the hardest things to acquire. Filling the rest of the roster around them is usually a lot easier. Malkin and Crosby are still arguably the best 1-2 in the league, and Letang is still capable of putting up some great numbers.

If they can get healthy, I think they can extend their window a few more years if a few things happen.
  • Get rid of their toxic contract (Jack Johnson)
  • Get some extra office (Hall?)
  • Bit more depth.
Heck, with a different coach, I could also see them re-inventing themselves as a grinding trapping team, and winning ugly.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's pretty important to have guys just entering or still in their prime, and the Penguins top players are certainly currently or close to declining, but pretty much every other player on the roster is on the right side of 28.

And obviously you don't need elite players to win Cups.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
5th in GF, 6th in GA, 3rd in PK, 1st in shots, 5th in shots against. Their PP is 24th but that will improve. They have everything needed except a goalie that can make a timely save.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You're not even responding to the point of what I was saying, so I'm not going to bother continuing.

The point was that people have constantly underrated the Penguins prospect pool, where they were saying that the Penguins could never win again in 2014 because their prospect pool was bad and they had no up and coming young talent. In reality, the Penguins just don't have a sexy prospect pool outlined with obviously talented prospects. They have a lot of young NHL talent on the roster and their prospect pool constantly yields out better results than the armchair GMs think it should be yielding. So maybe people should actually realize that their evaluation of the Penguins future is wrong, instead of just saying "their prospect pool is bad and their core is aging, so they're gonna suck".

Part of your point was that Galchenyuk was a Top 6 forward. He sure as shit has been playing like a fringe one for the last few years.

I apologize that I didn't read and give a lengthy response to your wall of text.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I agree but winning the cup is all about secondary scoring. Does anyone on pitt outside the main three scare you?
The Penguins do not rely on their stars to score this year. The team Currently is a real threat to come out of the east.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I agree but winning the cup is all about secondary scoring. Does anyone on pitt outside the main three scare you?

Winning the Cup is about your star/core players playing like stars, with some timely goals here and there from your depth. And the depth guys on the Pens look like they're capable of producing those timely goals, so it'll be up to the "stars" on the Pens to do their thing.

Depth scoring isn't an issue with the Pens. Adding maybe one more high end scorer to go along with Crosby/Malkin/Guentzel and staying healthy is more of a question mark than any concerns about whether or not the likes of McCann or Kahun can produce enough to help with depth scoring.

Reactions: Puck You Too

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Nevermind getting 2 generational talent like Crosby and Malkin. They got very lucky with Kessel who changed the face of that franchise and for some reason they let him go.

That was a fatal mistake imo.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nevermind getting 2 generational talent like Crosby and Malkin. They got very lucky with Kessel who changed the face of that franchise and for some reason they let him go.

I don't think you have watched the Penguins this year or have watched Kessel for the last year if you think the Penguins trading Kessel was "a fatal mistake".

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The Kessel they let go isn't the same as the Kessel they first acquired.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009

Let's leave out the ridiculous "fatal mistake" comment.

What the heck does "they got very lucky with Kessel" mean?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They’ve been one of the best teams in the league at controlling play this year despite suffering a ridiculous amount of injuries to important players. If they can enter the playoffs healthy anything can happen.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I actually think the only question mark on the roster right now, other than injuries, is goaltending. Murray has been slightly below average so far this season, but if he picks things up and the team gets over its injuries, I think this could be a great season. This team is as good as the Cup-winning teams for sure.

Jarry has the potential to be as good, if not far better, than Murray and I just the Pens org gives him a fair shake especially since Murray has had his struggles since the 2017 Cup win. This might be Jarry's breakout season if they just give him a real chance.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Penguins are as good as they have ever been this season. Their window is this year and at least 2 or 3 more years.

They will make some cup runs. However, it takes a lot to win it all including some luck.

They have about as good of chance as anyone to win a cup in the next 3 or 4 years.

They will fall off a lot in year 4 or 5, but everyone knows that. Saying or thinking that they don’t have a shot in the next several years is just hopeful by other teams. If healthy, they are a favorite for the next several years.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Honestly the last time people wrote them off they got two. I think they potentially could get one more (their window is slowly closing but it is there). They have been dealing with a lot of injuries and still performing okay.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
A move or two to shore up the D and they could win this year if they manage to get healthy at the right time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad