Do Crosby & Malkin get any more cups?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's possible, but I seriously doubt it.

Crosby and Malkin are getting older, and Pittsburgh's prospect pool is pretty morbid right now.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Probably not. Which you can say about basically every player over 30.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sid was playing really well before the surgery and he was playing with a nagging injury. Malkin is playing much better this year as well. A full and healthy roster can compete for a cup. But health is the issue. Anyone thinking they can't is underestimating how driven the stars are.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Do they? Who knows.

Could they? Sure.

Probability? 50/50.

You cant get out Sid and Geno. If they get really hot at the right time, they can still be deadly.

Having said that, their line up needs some work. Defense is schmeh. Forward depth is only ok. They have some young guys playing well which helps a LOT.

Time will tell.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Crosby and Malkin are getting older, and Pittsburgh's prospect pool is pretty morbid right now.

John Marino has been amazing. technically a prospect, a bunch of young Players are looking very good (McCann, Kahun,Pettersson, Lafferty)

They've yet to be healthy this year, Malkin and Crosby have missed 18 games, but this team is pretty deep and are playing great hockey despite an absurd amount of injuries, mostly due to our young players stepping up.

Last I checked the Pens were 1st in shots for and 2nd best in shots allowed. so, they've been playing very well, even with their 3 big stars missing most the season so far.

Reactions: Puck You Too

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
People clearly haven't watched the Pens play this season. A lot of people may be surprised if the team can get healthy...

I won't be. Watched almost every game and IF they get Crosby back relatively healthy they will contend. Biggest issue I see is Murray is either really on or he let's in two bad goals a game, there is no in between.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Not together, no.

If Pittsburgh would trade Malkin and get some (2-3) very good younger players in return who would fit in immediately, then maybe Crosby could get another one at Pittsburgh. Crosby would also be able to get one in a lesser role with a contending team probably until the end of is career. Like Trottier did at Pittsburgh, but it's always a crapshoot in a cap area between some pretty much the same top level teams. For example if Crosby could end up in a team like this season's Boston as a 2nd/3rd line center in the future, he could win one for sure.

It's doubtful he's willing to go that route until maybe his final year (if he's injury free) to get trade for a contender knowing he'll retire after the season and Pittsburgh will most likely miss the playoffs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I find it amazing that people only judge futures based on prospect pools, while completely ignoring what young NHL talent these teams already have.

This brings up a discussion from another thread, about how underrated the Penguins prospect pool has been for years. They've been churning out good NHLers for years at this point, yet the Penguins always had a "bad prospect pool" according to the ratings. They don't have a sexy prospect pool, but they're consistently getting a lot of young talent from their pool or from trades. Look at their roster now, 14 of the 29 players that have played for the Penguins this year are 25 or younger. With a fully healthy lineup, they have 2 top-6 wingers (Guentzel and Galchenyuk), 2 borderline 2nd/3rd line players (Kahun and McCann), 3 bottom-6ers (Simon, Blueger and ZAR), 2 top-4 D (Pettersson and Marino) and 2 goalies (Murray and Jarry) who are all 25 or younger. Outside of Galchenyuk and maybe McCann, none of those guys were highly rated prospects before breaking into the NHL.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't think so. Low chance in general, and both players are becoming old.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I find it amazing that people only judge futures based on prospect pools, while completely ignoring what young NHL talent these teams already have.

This brings up a discussion from another thread, about how underrated the Penguins prospect pool has been for years. They've been churning out good NHLers for years at this point, yet the Penguins always had a "bad prospect pool" according to the ratings. They don't have a sexy prospect pool, but they're consistently getting a lot of young talent from their pool or from trades. Look at their roster now, 14 of the 29 players that have played for the Penguins this year are 25 or younger. With a fully healthy lineup, they have 2 top-6 wingers (Guentzel and Galchenyuk), 2 borderline 2nd/3rd line players (Kahun and McCann), 3 bottom-6ers (Simon, Blueger and ZAR), 2 top-4 D (Pettersson and Marino) and 2 goalies (Murray and Jarry) who are all 25 or younger. Outside of Galchenyuk and maybe McCann, none of those guys were highly rated prospects before breaking into the NHL.

... And you think those guys are gonna put a core entering their mid 30s over the top for a Cup?

giphy.gif

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I guess 2016 and 2017 didn't happen, good to know. And that's not even the point of what I was saying, but I think we both know you're not in here to actually have a honest discussion.

I guess you don't get the concept of aging. Good to know.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I guess you don't get the concept of aging. Good to know.

You're not even responding to the point of what I was saying, so I'm not going to bother continuing.

The point was that people have constantly underrated the Penguins prospect pool, where they were saying that the Penguins could never win again in 2014 because their prospect pool was bad and they had no up and coming young talent. In reality, the Penguins just don't have a sexy prospect pool outlined with obviously talented prospects. They have a lot of young NHL talent on the roster and their prospect pool constantly yields out better results than the armchair GMs think it should be yielding. So maybe people should actually realize that their evaluation of the Penguins future is wrong, instead of just saying "their prospect pool is bad and their core is aging, so they're gonna suck".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad