Do Avs fans' Despise Chris Stewart?

Mant*

That's kind of a tough question...I don't personally believe that he departed on good terms with the fans. His remarks after his first game with the Blues was taken as an insult to the Avs fans (talking about how he liked playing in front of a full building).

And his "taunt" after fighting Sarich (I didn't see it myself) and his talking about Giguere's "Las Vegas comments" (calling him out for being a bad teammate is how I took that) all point to him being someone that we probably wouldn't welcome back.

But when you add on to that his known Work Ethic issues (and we saw those first hand), I think it's even clearer still.

Get the quotes right though, because they had intent to injure.

“Chris and I haven’t seen a crowd like that in a while. To know that you have such great support here and they really love their Blues’ hockey is great to know. It’s refreshing for us.â€
-Shattenkirk

“That was great. That was probably the best crowd I’ve ever been in front of. It’s going to be easy to play here if the fans are like that every night.
-Stewart

They made it clear that they think Blues fans are superior to Avalanche fans. Avalanche fans supported them every ****ing night, and there was absolutely no reason to take a parting shot at us. We didn't trade them, we loved having both of them here. They decided to make it personal with the entire state of Colorado though.

**** the both of them.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I definitely would not want him anywhere near this team, for pretty much all the reasons others have already listed. Despise? No, but I strongly dislike him -- both for his lazy play, his childish antics, and his overall attitude. Good riddance.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I wouldn't even got that high. If he would take a Jamie McGinn like 3-3.5M, I might be open to it, but at 4, that's too steep.

He's still a guy who should be a 25 goal scorer.

Yea, maybe he doesn't bring it in other ways that you would like, but he scores goals, is a good net front and will drop the gloves. Four is a pretty good price for that type of player.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He plays well with Stastny. A line of Landeskog - Stastny - Stewart would be one of the toughest to play against in the league so yes I would take him back. As an opponent though I don't like him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Funny with Stewart and Shattenkirk taking shots at the Denver fans, the last two seasons Blues have had dwindling attendance when the finally turned into a contender. I guess there might have been some ticket price increases because of the increased payroll.

Avs will probably pass them in a year or two in attendance. Already ahead of them in percentage of seats sold.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I'd take him back but only if he came really cheap. He's too inconsistent, especially in his effort level, for me to want to give up much for him, plus there are the possible chemistry issues in the locker room that previous posters have brought up.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Get the quotes right though, because they had intent to injure.

“Chris and I haven’t seen a crowd like that in a while. To know that you have such great support here and they really love their Blues’ hockey is great to know. It’s refreshing for us.â€
-Shattenkirk

“That was great. That was probably the best crowd I’ve ever been in front of. It’s going to be easy to play here if the fans are like that every night.
-Stewart

They made it clear that they think Blues fans are superior to Avalanche fans. Avalanche fans supported them every ****ing night, and there was absolutely no reason to take a parting shot at us. We didn't trade them, we loved having both of them here. They decided to make it personal with the entire state of Colorado though.

**** the both of them.

Uh I think this is some perceived insult here.. I'm not a stewart fan at all, but I think what they were saying is it was awesome to play in a full house... something colorado didn't have.

That's hardly an insult to the entire state of colorado. Avs were playing mediocre hockey at best at the time and the can wasn't getting filled. I'm not personally insulted by it, and I wasn't when the comment was made.. I was happy for him to play in an area where hockey was on the upside, not a sharp down hill slope.

Couldn't knock the guy for being excited.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I couldn't care less about the comments he's made - he's obviously not the smartest guy. He might not fit in here any more locker room wise but as a player in a vacuum I would happily take him back.

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
Naaaah, I don't "hate" him or despise him - only one player has earned that label in my book. I'm pretty impartial towards him now.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The only hockey players I've ever despised are Todd Bertuzzi and Darcy Tucker.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The only hockey players I've ever despised are Todd Bertuzzi and Darcy Tucker.

You despised Darcy? I figured it would've been Bray May. A lot of folks couldn't get over the fact he was brought in at the end of his career here.

My wife always loved Darcy...said he had a pretty smile whatever the hell that means. :laugh: I always liked the guy but thought we got him about 5 years too late to be really effective. Always enjoyed watching him play in Toronto though.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I'd still take him back on the team pretty easily. But not at the expense of anything worth giving.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I couldn't care less about the comments he's made - he's obviously not the smartest guy. He might not fit in here any more locker room wise but as a player in a vacuum I would happily take him back.
This.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I despise the refs who wouldn't let Bordy clean Stewart's clock in the game in St. Louis.

Stewart would not last long on Coach Roy's team, because he's lazy and self-centered. Of course, Roy could help Stewart achieve his potential as a player.

He's fine in Hitchcock's system because Hitch loves having talentless goons on his team: see Hatcher, Derrian; Matvichuk, Richard.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Uh I think this is some perceived insult here.. I'm not a stewart fan at all, but I think what they were saying is it was awesome to play in a full house... something colorado didn't have.

That's hardly an insult to the entire state of colorado. Avs were playing mediocre hockey at best at the time and the can wasn't getting filled. I'm not personally insulted by it, and I wasn't when the comment was made.. I was happy for him to play in an area where hockey was on the upside, not a sharp down hill slope.

Couldn't knock the guy for being excited.

I think there's a big difference between what he said and being excited.

Absolutely he can be excited to play for the Blues, no question, but his (and I never even saw Shattenkirk's, those are a little more harsh) remarks I think were calling out the Avalanche fan base because we didn't fill up the Pepsi Center every night...while not understanding the fact that A) The team under Sacco was abysmal and B) ticket prices were (and still are quite frankly) quite high, much higher than they should have been for a team as terrible as the Avs were during Sacco's tenure.

He could've said, "Man, the fans were really loud, it was nice!" or something along those lines, but when you say

"Chris and I haven’t seen a crowd like that in a while. To know that you have such great support here and they really love their Blues’ hockey is great to know. It’s refreshing for us.†(Shattenkirk)

or

“That was great. That was probably the best crowd I’ve ever been in front of. It’s going to be easy to play here if the fans are like that every night." (Stewart)

Those little thing's like "it's refreshing for us" and "It's going to be easy to play here if the fans are like that every night." that are the digs at Avalanche fans.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Despise is a strong word. .... I'd take him back for a 3rd and that's if he's willing to take a pay cut. 2 million at most I'd give him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Stewart's comment wasn't that bad, Shattenkirk's is a dig. I do take it personally because I do live in Colorado and make up that "crowd". It makes us fans feel inadequate, like we couldn't do enough even though one person can't fill up the Pepsi Center. No I don't think either meant it as "I hate the Avalanche fans" but saying those kinds of things always leaves the fans feeling bad even if the dig really is more aimed at the organization. We'll never be a Canadian or big east coast market, we are sensitive to those things. We can't give the players what those other cities can and it hurts to get called out on it.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'd forgive and forget if he came back on a 3M/yr contract to play on Staz's RW again. Otherwise I'm happy letting him coast elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad