Do any of you boys have a career in corporate security?

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I've been looking to switch career paths into some sort of line of work that you and Vick have been describing.

I currently work as an IT supervisor for a large tech firm but looking for something less demeaning like corporate security. I'm a little on the short side but I'm very nimble and have quick hands. I'm working to lose about 23 pounds to hit the optimal weight range for my height. I have no formal martial arts training but I have trained in Hap Ki Do (in Japan it's called Aikido) by watching YouTube videos. Do you think Hap Ki Do is relevant discipline for your line of work?
I would say yes. With your fighting/holding techniques you wouldn't want to injure too much but rather control the situation. Some shit like boxing techniques would get you arrested very fast. But for capturing and possible self-defense Hapkido is actually a very solid choice. It's versatile and relatively quick to get hold of.

-Security man, Kevin

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
I would say yes. With your fighting/holding techniques you wouldn't want to injure too much but rather control the situation. Some **** like boxing techniques would get you arrested very fast. But for capturing and possible self-defense Hapkido is actually a very solid choice. It's versatile and relatively quick to get hold of.

-Security man, Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I may PM you with some questions.

Reactions: Kevs Security

Kevs Security

May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Just got home from work. It's a little over 4 am. I should just hit the hay, I guess.

Caught some real notorious cyber bullies today. People are f***ing monsters, my mans. The stuff they do online, keeps me up at night.

edit: time... was already drunk

Last edited:

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Just got home from work. It's a little over 4 pm. I should just hit the hay, I guess.

Caught some real notorious cyber bullies today. People are ****ing monsters, my mans. The stuff they do online, keeps me up at night.
I'm surprised @The Crypto Guy hasn't been bullying you, @VickAshley and @tonyhawks77 by implying that you are the same person. But when you do catch him for cyberbullying, make sure his caution has to be paid in bitcoins - he may not be able to pay it out if it's in USD.

Reactions: Kevs Security

Kevs Security

May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I'm surprised @The Crypto Guy hasn't been bullying you, @VickAshley and @tonyhawks77 by implying that you are the same person. But when you do catch him for cyberbullying, make sure his caution has to be paid in bitcoins - he may not be able to pay it out if it's in USD.
Crypto Fella seems like a nice guy. Ain't got beef with him. Just unfortunate he's wasting his best years playing with monopoly money but whatever floats his boat. I spend my days drinking so who am I to say.

-the newest crypto currency on the market, KevsCoin...

Kevs Security

May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
One more thing: I effin' hate 'em cyber bullies. I caught one last night... some poor delusional fella thought that he was Pierre LeBrun. I had to inform Bell Media about this, and it didn't take long 'til I was authorized to delete this fella's account. Jack is a close friend of mine, we DM eachother all the time. He hates 'em cyber bullies too. Great man.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
One more thing: I effin' hate 'em cyber bullies. I caught one last night... some poor delusional fella thought that he was Pierre LeBrun. I had to inform Bell Media about this, and it didn't take long 'til I was authorized to delete this fella's account. Jack is a close friend of mine, we DM eachother all the time. He hates 'em cyber bullies too. Great man.

Did you bash him?

Sep 19, 2008
I am trying to learn python to find a job but it is so hard!

The language is so picky about formatting.

The language demands variables not be instantiated so you are often confused about data type.

New methods randomly declared using def, confusing to see what is what

It's just a damn nightmare @Lunazaia Nox Fleuret even with Pycharm IDE. I don't know how you nerds do this crap. I guess I'm not nerdy enough to understand this!

Sep 19, 2008
I'm mostly surprised you are so concerned about formatting. Of course it's important.

The thing is python makes it MANDATORY and complains about the slightest deviation. You could still have it formatted properly and if the tab isn't right it will return compilation error.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
The thing is python makes it MANDATORY and complains about the slightest deviation. You could still have it formatted properly and if the tab isn't right it will return compilation error.

i'm sure it's frustrating while you're learning, but it's good to enforce a standard. there's a lot of really ugly code coming out of other countries that is sometimes difficult to read and comprehend because the formatting is SO bad.

Sep 19, 2008
i'm sure it's frustrating while you're learning, but it's good to enforce a standard. there's a lot of really ugly code coming out of other countries that is sometimes difficult to read and comprehend because the formatting is SO bad.
I call PYthon the error language because no matter what you do most of the time you get an error off the most insignificant crap

member 157595

I am trying to learn python to find a job but it is so hard!

That's good you're looking for work, but if you think Python is a hard language to learn I should probably tell you that it's incredibly easy compared to a TON of other languages.

The language is so picky about formatting.

If you mean whitespace formatting, you are correct. Otherwise, you just need practice in understanding the operators.

The language demands variables not be instantiated so you are often confused about data type.

I barely know how to respond to this other than to tell you that dynamically-typed languages may not be for you.

New methods randomly declared using def, confusing to see what is what

How is using a def() statement to tell the Python interpreter that a method body definition is coming a confusing process?

It's just a damn nightmare @Lunazaia Nox Fleuret even with Pycharm IDE. I don't know how you nerds do this crap. I guess I'm not nerdy enough to understand this!

If making over six figures to do something I enjoy is being a nerd, then I'll wear that label with pride.

Don't ever, EVER, use hard tabs when writing Python code.

I call PYthon the error language because no matter what you do most of the time you get an error off the most insignificant crap

No, you just don't understand what you're doing and would rather have us tell you the answer via shortcuts than use our advice to work through the solution on your own.

Professional programmers work damn hard to solve problems on a daily basis. Real life is real hard, and if you want to get good at this wear a f***ing helmet and buckle down.

Reactions: HFBCommenter
Sep 19, 2008
That's good you're looking for work, but if you think Python is a hard language to learn I should probably tell you that it's incredibly easy compared to a TON of other languages.

If you mean whitespace formatting, you are correct. Otherwise, you just need practice in understanding the operators.

I barely know how to respond to this other than to tell you that dynamically-typed languages may not be for you.

How is using a def() statement to tell the Python interpreter that a method body definition is coming a confusing process?

If making over six figures to do something I enjoy is being a nerd, then I'll wear that label with pride.

No, you just don't understand what you're doing and would rather have us tell you the answer via shortcuts than use our advice to work through the solution on your own.

Professional programmers work damn hard to solve problems on a daily basis. Real life is real hard, and if you want to get good at this wear a ****ing helmet and buckle down.
sir what is your experience with programmatic languages

member 157595

sir what is your experience with programmatic languages

My background is not the issue here. I'm not special, and the one thing I do know is that there's a lot I don't know. There may be a lot of jobs in this business but the competition for entry-level jobs (which you'd be applying for) can be brutal.

If you're willing to put in the work, you can get there.

Sep 19, 2008
My background is not the issue here. I'm not special, and the one thing I do know is that there's a lot I don't know. There may be a lot of jobs in this business but the competition for entry-level jobs (which you'd be applying for) can be brutal.

If you're willing to put in the work, you can get there.

thank u for this inspirational post

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO

Professional programmers work damn hard to solve problems on a daily basis. Real life is real hard, and if you want to get good at this wear a ****ing helmet and buckle down.

Slay, homie.

what do you do/work with on the daily?

We do large scale migrations to/fro most major cloud/local platforms (like box, spo, sp on-prem, dropbox etc). C# back, js/react front.

member 157595

Slay, homie.

what do you do/work with on the daily?

We do large scale migrations to/fro most major cloud/local platforms (like box, spo, sp on-prem, dropbox etc). C# back, js/react front.

Very cool, so you probably do a lot with Kubernetes and the like. Ever used AWS Redshift? I'm looking into it for a future project.

I'd describe my current role as 45% DevOps/AWS Architect/Docker drone, 45% firmware/SITL/HITL, 5% front-end and 5% physics/game engine modeling. I really like it because I get a combination of DevOps, web services, low-level and high-level development.

Front-end development (especially js) does not come as naturally to me as back-end or hardware/low-level work. It's probably my biggest weakness at the moment.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Very cool, so you probably do a lot with Kubernetes and the like. Ever used AWS Redshift? I'm looking into it for a future project.

I'd describe my current role as 45% DevOps/AWS Architect/Docker drone, 45% firmware/SITL/HITL, 5% front-end and 5% physics/game engine modeling. I really like it because I get a combination of DevOps, web services, low-level and high-level development.

Front-end development (especially js) does not come as naturally to me as back-end or hardware/low-level work. It's probably my biggest weakness at the moment.

That's good though. We need more like that - less python surfers. I've transitioned from QA so I'm still in junior mode, but getting there. Sounds like you got your hands full ;)

Never used Redshift. I'm not AWS certified, but I've found some of that space to be a bit convoluted. Last week we had a hackathon, and I was trying to work on a serverless deployment of our application. I wanted manual remediation when some conditions were met (like if a CC was rejected, or some endpoint was exhausted [like space limits or time limits or money limits... whatever]) and was trying to use stepFucntions with some Lambda calls to deploy an email to the end user should we exceed or bork one of those limits/fields. It was a major pain in my dick. Took me almost two days to setup that function alone. The proprietary "language" they were using made it way more confusing than seemed necessary.

Like I said, i'm still a baby in this space, so it's probably just me. But it was tough for sure (maybe just pebkac).

Kubernetes (and docker to a smaller extent) is great - I can deploy everything in little lightweight containers/pods and scale infinitely easily for next to nothing (for kube, anyway). A lot of my testing revolves around node farms that would otherwise just be non-feesable to run locally. I can keep current with develop builds with a simple kube script - that's the play. No manual installs, no real upgrading - just ssh + deploy via the pre-configured script.

I've spun up demo/staging environments for the whole company to hit whenever they want to test or try something. Since there's generally between 10-15 people in there a day, we spun up some grafana/prometheus instances there as well. We're pulling tons of valuable data out from it. It's not yet *perfect*, but it's getting there.
uhDnBCb.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad