Do a Majority of Fans Actually Care About the Streak?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Cleary: 52GP, 4G, 4A +/- -11 35 years old, only going to get worse

Jurco: 36GP, 8G, 7A +/- 0, First NHL season 21 years old, only going to get better

You tell me who you want on the roster, the answer is obvious
Answer me this: if Cleary is the 13th or even 14th forward for 90% of the season, do you still want Jurco to take his place? The guy has a 1 million bonus for playing 10 games, I know Holland loves him but that is an indication that Cleary will have a hard time actually cracking the lineup.

Nah, Cleary has pushed Callahan and Ferraro out of the roster. Which I'm not going to cry over. The way I see it there's still 1 top 9 spot left to fill and it will go to Alfie/Jurco/Pulkkinen/Mantha.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Answer me this: if Cleary is the 13th or even 14th forward for 90% of the season, do you still want Jurco to take his place? The guy has a 1 million bonus for playing 10 games, I know Holland loves him but that is an indication that Cleary will have a hard time actually cracking the lineup.

Nah, Cleary has pushed Callahan and Ferraro out of the roster. Which I'm not going to cry over. The way I see it there's still 1 top 9 spot left to fill and it will go to Alfie/Jurco/Pulkkinen/Mantha.

Cally and Ferraro were never on the roster to begin with. They would have to beat out Helm, Abdelkader, Miller, Andersson and Glendening for a roster spot, which isn't happening. There getting waived without a doubt.

That leaves the odd man out in Jurco, who is still waiver exempt, which gives Holland the easy solution in sending him to GR and giving his roster spot too Cleary. The top 9 spot is going to Cleary whether people like it or not

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Cally and Ferraro were never on the roster to begin with. They would have to beat out Helm, Abdelkader, Miller, Andersson and Glendening for a roster spot, which isn't happening. There getting waived without a doubt.

That leaves the odd man out in Jurco, who is still waiver exempt, which gives Holland the easy solution in sending him to GR and giving his roster spot too Cleary. The top 9 spot is going to Cleary whether people like it or not

One of Cally or Ferraro was gonna be on the roster. As long as they were not both awful in camp.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

Whos Cleary pushing out on the 4th line then? And if he's the 14th forward 1st injury he's in and I'd rather have Pulu or Jurco in. And I would say Cleary gonna start in the top 9 and be given a 15 game try out there

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The guy has a 1 million bonus for playing 10 games, I know Holland loves him but that is an indication that Cleary will have a hard time actually cracking the lineup.

I don't think it's an indication of that. I think it's just low hanging fruit. Something easy enough, even Cleary can do it.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Someone is actually defending Cleary? That is just :laugh:

I do remember there being a user last year that preached how Cleary was going to have a bounce back year after his "monster" playoff performance...don't think I've seen him post here since last season started :D

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
A healthy Red Wings is a good team... a team that I think has a chance at going deep. With Dats, Zet and Kron all aging, I say yes, YES the streak is more important than ever.

In addition, I'd say the streak is even more important to the Ilitches. I believe they pride themselves on the streak and I bet you they don't want Mike to EVER witness the Detroit Red Wings missing.

Keeping the streak alive is priority #1 above everything else

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Whos Cleary pushing out on the 4th line then? And if he's the 14th forward 1st injury he's in and I'd rather have Pulu or Jurco in. And I would say Cleary gonna start in the top 9 and be given a 15 game try out there
He will battle with Glendening and Andersson for the 12th spot. And sure, he'll get some games. But he was a healthy scratch even last year when we had plenty of injuries so it's unreasonable to think it can't happen again. With Mantha, Pulkkinen and possibly Jurco waiting in GR they won't just slide Cleary into the lineup anytime there's an injury in the top 9.

And this is all assuming Cleary even stays healthy himself.

Basically, I hate the signing but people are making it a bigger deal than it is in terms of the actual roster/lineup impact it will have.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Bonus' for Jagr and Iggy are just clever ways to circumvent the cap for that year. Clears is not. It's just initially disguising paying a useless player 2.5M for the memories.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
The streak symbolizes how good Detroit management has been working in the past. Some franchises were the doormat for years and collected high draft picks to become champions later on (like Pittsburgh or Chicago). The Red Wings remained competetive all the time.

Therefore the streak is a huge accomplishment. It is even more impressive, since it lasts through an era of relative parity. Giving up the streak just to have maybe a better shot at the cup in later years seems a ridiculously asinine idea to me.

Gruß,
BSHH

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I wish this was a poll, because I don't know what a majority of fans want. If you were to ask me what I want, I would say that if I had to pick between making the playoffs or having the team's management issues fixed, I would choose to have the issues fixed. I can follow a losing team passionately, but the same cannot be said for my ability to follow a poor organization.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I personally feel that the streak is overrated. Not from an accomplishment standpoint, but from the perceived importance of it from here on out.

I want the streak to keep on going, but not because of some streak. I want it to keep going because I want to constantly ice a playoff team and I want to be able to rebuild into a top seed while remaining a playoff team, which I believe to be possible. Plus I'm of the belief that the playoff experience is an important learning point for all players: veterans and young players.

So streak or not, I always want me team playing come late April.

Actual Thought*

Cleary: 52GP, 4G, 4A +/- -11 35 years old, only going to get worse

Jurco: 36GP, 8G, 7A +/- 0, First NHL season 21 years old, only going to get better

You tell me who you want on the roster, the answer is obvious
The answer isn't obvious. What and how many minutes were they playing and with whom? Was Cleary healthy? Is he healthy now? Are we better off having Jurco playing 7 minutes a game in the NHL or 20 mins in GR?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The answer isn't obvious. What and how many minutes were they playing and with whom? Was Cleary healthy? Is he healthy now? Are we better off having Jurco playing 7 minutes a game in the NHL or 20 mins in GR?

Wait, you're serious aren't you?

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
I care about making the playoffs.

I don't care about the number itself. When it ends it won't be celebrated; just another statistic in the books - like the home win streak.

If it meant something to free agents (I used to think it did) then it would be more coveted.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
A healthy Red Wings is a good team... a team that I think has a chance at going deep. With Dats, Zet and Kron all aging, I say yes, YES the streak is more important than ever.

In addition, I'd say the streak is even more important to the Ilitches. I believe they pride themselves on the streak and I bet you they don't want Mike to EVER witness the Detroit Red Wings missing.

Keeping the streak alive is priority #1 above everything else

And if you truly believe that this roster, when healthy, would do significant damage in the big dance, then I can understand you deeming the streak so important.

Personally, I think that even at 100%, they'd still be cannon fodder to any legit contender, so the streak no longer has any meaning to me. Agree to disagree, I guess.

Actual Thought*

This forum is full of people who want the Wings to suck so they can say I told you so.:nod:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
And if you truly believe that this roster, when healthy, would do significant damage in the big dance, then I can understand you deeming the streak so important.

Personally, I think that even at 100%, they'd still be cannon fodder to any legit contender, so the streak no longer has any meaning to me. Agree to disagree, I guess.

An injured and beat up DRWs team took Chicago (the eventual champs) to game #7 OT while down a top 6 forward in that game... and without the likes of Dekeyser, Helm and, of course, Filppula. Had Dekeyser been healthy that series, I think Wings move on to the WCF.

So yeah, I think this team, if healthy, has the chance to go deep. They pretty much just proved that the other year. Not to mention now Nyquist, Tatar, Dekeyser, Sheahan, Smith, and Jurco are all more experienced and added some size.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
An injured and beat up DRWs team took Chicago (the eventual champs) to game #7 OT while down a top 6 forward in that game... and without the likes of Dekeyser, Helm and, of course, Filppula. Had Dekeyser been healthy that series, I think Wings move on to the WCF.

So yeah, I think this team, if healthy, has the chance to go deep. They pretty much just proved that the other year. Not to mention now Nyquist, Tatar, Dekeyser, Sheahan, Smith, and Jurco are all more experienced and added some size.

If the Wings were 100% healthy, that means Datsyuk and Zetterberg together on the top line, Weiss centering the 2nd line, the Kid Line together on the third line and a shutdown fourth line with Helm, Glendening and Miller.

The D would have four good top Ds (Kronner, Big E, Smith, DDK) and Quincey could pair with Kindl, Lashoff, or one of the kids.

The Wings, with everyone healthy, are a much better team than people want to give them credit for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad