OT: DnD One Shot

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Hey guys and gals!

My roommate is a Dungeon Master and I proposed a question to him after a few people expressed interest in doing a DnD Hockey One-Shot. He said he thinks that'd be fun. He wants to know if it'll be a 5e set-up or a honey heist type of situation (2D6 roll styles, I can fill you in more if you have questions about that).

I'm curious, would anyone be interested in possibly doing a DnD One-Shot....but hockey style (no idea what that means yet, but my roommate is a hockey fan...a Lightning Fan...)!

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
200.gif

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
This sounds insanely mega nerdy.

25a.jpg

I'm a novice that's only played with 5e rules a handful of times, but I'll give it a go if you need more folks.
I have no idea how many we'll need lol. My roommate is going to make a one shot from scratch.

So in Honey Heist (as seen in Critical Role, but I've also played it a couple times and it's a blast) you have two D6, but in Hockey Heist™ there may be more D6 than just two, and you role them for specific acts to keep things super simple. Or, we can go 5E rules of classes and races and a complete dice set. Depends on what everyone wants! :)

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm interested but have a busy schedule and am already DMing my own game so I probably just shouldn't play as there's nothing worse than having a party member that makes scheduling impossible... But I'd like to so I'm going to keep an eye on this and when it starts to get organized I'll see if I'm willing to commit.

It would be really fun to be the dual hatchet fighter Fedor Henrikov known across the snowy North for his speed and precision in battle.

Reactions: Konnan511

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I have no idea what honey heist is and have resisted joining 5E. Have been playing or running a Saturday game with fellow old school gamers for years and made the switch to roll20 about a year ago. We still play Pathfinder, 3.0/3.5 before that and most of us date back to AD&D and earlier

If you need a player I would look into 5E, but be prepared for plenty of bitching about how lame I think it is (not really). I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to learn a new system. The hockey theme sounds fun.

If anyone is active on Obsidian Portal, I will create a page for this game and add you all. It is a gaming website, basically letting you create a page for your campaign(s).

Edit: ok, followed your honey heist link, looks like fun.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Unrelated but as a hockey fan and DnD nerd seeing this collision of DnD and hockey reminded me of an Acquisitions Incorporated game where they had an ice hockey frost giant encounter (1:20:30ish):

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

This sounds insanely mega nerdy.

25a.jpg

I'm a novice that's only played with 5e rules a handful of times, but I'll give it a go if you need more folks.

I played it a little when I was a kid and it was DEFINITELY nerdy then, but now it's apparently cool?

There's a regular DnD game that has Vince Vaughan, Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine, the Game of Thrones creators, James Gunn, Big Show from WWE and other assorted folks.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I played it a little when I was a kid and it was DEFINITELY nerdy then, but now it's apparently cool?

There's a regular DnD game that has Vince Vaughan, Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine, the Game of Thrones creators, James Gunn, Big Show from WWE and other assorted folks.
iirc, the head of that group is married to Sofia Vergara. DnD confirmed chick magnet!!!

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Just less stigmatized as the youths are more accepting of all sorts of gaming these days.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Well count me as surprised I thought DnD on this board was going to be some kind of new advanced stat. Huge OG fan from basic on up. Fun to see some chat.

My boss always says going DnD but she means do not disturb never fails to make me do a double take.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I think it's more that you can be a nerd and cool now. It used to be that anyone with interests besides cars, girls, drugs and sports couldn't be cool (obviously a revisionist simplification). Now you can be the coolest guy in school and go from band practice to your competitive gaming team and meet your buds to play DnD on Sunday afternoon instead of watching football. You just have to have a cool attitude. We're still nerds around the DnD table though. We're just proud of it now and some of us happen to be pretty cool too.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Hey guys and gals!

My roommate is a Dungeon Master and I proposed a question to him after a few people expressed interest in doing a DnD Hockey One-Shot. He said he thinks that'd be fun. He wants to know if it'll be a 5e set-up or a honey heist type of situation (2D6 roll styles, I can fill you in more if you have questions about that).

I'm curious, would anyone be interested in possibly doing a DnD One-Shot....but hockey style (no idea what that means yet, but my roommate is a hockey fan...a Lightning Fan...)!

I'm in. I prefer 5e because of familiarity to it, and it's pretty easy for newbies to pick up when compared to other D&D or Pathfinder systems.

Character ideas...

Darren the Red: Variant human. Berzerker barbarian and Vengeance Paladin multiclass. Smites with his fists! Has the entertainer background.

Happy: Gnome alchemist artificer. I think this is the one I'll play.

Steals All Pucks: Datsyuk themed Tabaxi thief rogue

Any others?

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Does your friend GM with feats? Does he allow variant human? Is playing a well optimized character desirable or annoying?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I could see ice hockey work as a card came like MTG, as role playing I have a hard time wrapping my thoughts around how it would work. Dex check to see if you split the defense, shot proficiency slap shot vs wrist shot, shoot with advantage on breakaway?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad