Speculation: Dmitry Orlov and Garnet Hathaway scratched for trade purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I can see Edmonton making the hardest push for him. He's exactly who they need.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Hathaway will be a great addition to someone's bottom six/4th line. Wouldnt mind if it was TB.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if the Caps 'sell' these guys, and then use the assets received to buy in the off-season. Instead of a rebuild, a restructure or reload.

I also wouldn't be shocked if they still re-sign either of the guys before the trade deadline.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Honestly it's kinda ballsy for the Capitals to decide to sell, you'd think they'd want to maximize the remaining years they have with Ovechkin and Backstrom. The Penguins probably should take a page from that book, because I think the Caps are making a smart decision in casting aside this year.
It should be a no brainer for the Caps with all the UFAs they have

Better collecting assets here and try to retool with said assets than get stomped in the first round. I don’t think anyone watches WSH and feels they have a chance to do anything. Personally feel the window is shut but they can put a good team around Ovy the next number of years if they manage their assets here correctly

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Caps going to use Ovy breaking the record to milk their fans while going through a rebuild. Good thing they already won a Cup otherwise I'm sure Ovy, Backstrom and Carlson probably wouldn't be too happy.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Wonder if its a package deal or separate deals for both.

Should be an insane amount of interest from multiple teams on both players

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Better collecting assets here and try to retool with said assets than get stomped in the first round. I don’t think anyone watches WSH and feels they have a chance to do anything. Personally feel the window is shut but they can put a good team around Ovy the next number of years if they manage their assets here correctly
They saw what the blues did. No way they go with a full rebuild before ovey is done but with ovey understandably prioritizing family this year, maybe they call it quits for one year and build a strong team next year.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Edmonton needs to be in on this. Add Orlov to their defense and Hathaway wrecking things on a bottom six line. They would feel pretty much "complete".

Orlov would finally fill the void and promise left by Klefbom.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I dont see tbh. Cant see Washington trading those players to a rival. Caps and Bruins have had some moments over the years.

I can see the Kings...
Dont think they care if they just decide to punt this season. It's all about maximizing the assets. Kings also have a need though and good pieces.

Reactions: OVO16

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Los Angeles and Edmonton are the two teams that these guys would fit as a package the best in my opinion

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah I agree, it's the complete right decision. I just don't understand why my team isn't coming to the same conclusion about their chances this year, I think the Penguins and Capitals are effectively in the same exact spot :laugh:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Would be the perfect package to finalize the roster. Assuming it would start with 2024 1st +
That 2024 1st already starts the Leafs behind other teams with a 2023 1st to give. It won't be looked at with the same value. Not that the Leafs can't put a package together but it'll take considerably more. I think the Oilers and Kings have more assets to leverage at this point. It would be a mild surprise to me if they outbid everybody else - although ROR + Orlov would be an absolute monster deadline for Dubas if he pulled it off.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
That 2024 1st already starts the Leafs behind other teams with a 2023 1st to give. It won't be looked at with the same value. Not that the Leafs can't put a package together but it'll take considerably more. I think the Oilers and Kings have more assets to leverage at this point. It would be a mild surprise to me if they outbid everybody else - although ROR + Orlov would be an absolute monster deadline for Dubas if he pulled it off.
Yeah I agree with that, which is why I think it’s unlikely. But not impossible. Either way it would be a perfect package for the Leafs to finalize our roster so I hope we’re at least inquiring

Reactions: BKarchitect
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad