Rumor: Dmitri Samorukov to CSKA, KHL

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Sucks for Oilers fans
It does and it doesn’t. People forget that the AHL can’t afford to start without fans, very good chance they won’t start on time this year, while there is a good chance the KHL will. The more playing time the better, they still own his rights, and all of Jones/Bouchard/Russell/Benning are ahead of him on the depth chart so he wasn’t making the NHL next year. Hopefully he does well in the KHL, and I didn’t see how long his contract is, but maybe comes back after when we have room.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Not really. He seems like a depth defenseman if he makes the NHL at all.

I dont know about that, lot of Oilers fans considered him one of the better D prospects in the system. But like was said above, its good for him to go get playing time, especially if the AHL doesn't go.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Sucks for Oilers fans

Not really His agent said to Sport-Express that it is agreed with all sides - CSKA, Edmonton & player. Just the signature is needed.He was already signed by the Oilers . With so many D prospect it's better for his development to get playing time and in the AHL it will be a challenge to share those minutes up

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
He could've had a cup of tea with Oilers next season depending upon injuries. He is basically giving up that chance in favor of playing a full season close to home.
Covid + Situation in US related decision and nothing to do with Oilers.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
But he struggled in the AHL last year

How many games did you actually watch? He’s a 20 year old D with 50 games pro experience. What exactly were you expecting? Certainly he didn’t light the AHL on fire but I think saying he struggled is a stretch. Semantics perhaps on my part.

He’s a good 2 years away from being NHL ready. He only signed 1 year. I don’t personally see the downside to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llamamoto49

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
probably better experience for him than the AHL. We're overloaded with D atm anyway, even with Bouchard not on the lineup yet

I think outsiders forget this. Jones and Bear both graduated this year. Bouchard is expected to this coming season and we still have Broberg ahead of Samorukov on the depth chart.

Even when he’s NHL ready breaking into the lineup might not be soo easy. Pretty nice problem to be having on our backend after years of struggles in the D end.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Broberg isn't really ahead of Samurai in depth chart yet.
That is like saying Bouchard is ahead of Bear in depth chart.

Samourkov is more NHL ready than Broberg right now but neither was going to make the NHL these playoffs nor next season.

Samourkov did not carry on his offensive awesomeness from junior to AHL so a little disappointment there. Otherwise nothing wrong with his progression from jr to pro.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Samourkov is more NHL ready than Broberg right now but neither was going to make the NHL these playoffs nor next season.

Samourkov did not carry on his offensive awesomeness from junior to AHL so a little disappointment there. Otherwise nothing wrong with his progression from jr to pro.
His first year in the OHL was 20 points in 67 games.
His first year in the AHL was 10 points in 47 games.

I'd say he did fine.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta

Bro, he had one year in the AHL. Lol
Sometimes it takes a bit to get accustomed.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Bro, he had one year in the AHL. Lol
Sometimes it takes a bit to get accustomed.
For sure. Bouchard had a seamless transition so maybe the expectations were a bit high. Many in EDM were expecting Samourkov to crack NHL roster this season as well if you read through some of the posts from September.

No issues with his AHL season nor the 1 year KHL signing.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
For sure. Bouchard had a seamless transition so maybe the expectations were a bit high. Many in EDM were expecting Samourkov to crack NHL roster this season as well if you read through some of the posts from September.

No issues with his AHL season nor the 1 year KHL signing.
That is the thing though it wasn't that reasonable to think he'd be able to put up big offensive numbers with a team that had Bouchard on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad