Prospect Info: Dmitri Kostenko, RHD, - (VHL Rights Traded to Yugra)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Where's Kostenko? lol. What a bad pick that guy was. That's what happens when you go position rather than BPA....

He's with Kunlun in the KHL. Spartak Moskva loaned him there for the year so he can get KHL experience.

My opnion? They probably tried to repeat the Romanov scenario. Remember, Romanov was a "Who the F***?" pick. But if you look at it, Kostenko had a better season in his draft year than Romanov did in his.

In his draft year, Romanov only played in the MHL (Junior), where he put up 14 pts in 37 games. Kostenko in his draft year played in the MHL (Junior), where he put up 9 pts in 10 games and then got called up to play in the VHL (AHL), where he put up 10 pts in 40 games.

Now, Romanov in his D+1 year was in the KHL. Kostenko in his D+1 year was in the VHL (with some MHL games, too). Kostenko's first full KHL season comes in his D+2 season.

If you look at Kostenko's Elite Prospects profile, you'll see that at different levels, he was able to produce. And he's been able to produce in the playoffs.

I don't know if they will sign him to bring him over when his KHL deal is up. But my guess is they probably tried to repeat a Romanov-type selection.

And I also want to add that he's playing right now. And in typical WS fashion, you watch him score a goal and have 2 assists today. :laugh:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He's with Kunlun in the KHL. Spartak Moskva loaned him there for the year so he can get KHL experience.

My opnion? They probably tried to repeat the Romanov scenario. Remember, Romanov was a "Who the F***?" pick. But if you look at it, Kostenko had a better season in his draft year than Romanov did in his.

In his draft year, Romanov only played in the MHL (Junior), where he put up 14 pts in 37 games. Kostenko in his draft year played in the MHL (Junior), where he put up 9 pts in 10 games and then got called up to play in the VHL (AHL), where he put up 10 pts in 40 games.

Now, Romanov in his D+1 year was in the KHL. Kostenko in his D+1 year was in the VHL (with some MHL games, too). Kostenko's first full KHL season comes in his D+2 season.

If you look at Kostenko's Elite Prospects profile, you'll see that at different levels, he was able to produce. And he's been able to produce in the playoffs.

I don't know if they will sign him to bring him over when his KHL deal is up. But my guess is they probably tried to repeat a Romanov-type selection.

And I also want to add that he's playing right now. And in typical WS fashion, you watch him score a goal and have 2 assists today. :laugh:

Is Kostenko actually bad though? I don't think anyone has been watching him play. He's getting very limited minutes in the khl and didn't get to play in the wjc. A lot of Romanov's hype came from the wjc when people got to see him play. We didn't get that exposure with Kostenko.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is Kostenko actually bad though? I don't think anyone has been watching him play. He's getting very limited minutes in the khl and didn't get to play in the wjc. A lot of Romanov's hype came from the wjc when people got to see him play. We didn't get that exposure with Kostenko.

100% agreed. We can't properly assess his game because it's not easy to catch KHL games. Last year, it was easier to watch him in the VHL because they broadcast their games on YouTube for free on the league's official YT channel. And he was good there.

There are games he gets less than a minute of ice time followed by a game he's used for like 3 minutes. And then suddenly, he plays for about 14-15 minutes the next game.

We should also remember that Romanov wasn't getting much ice time in the KHL also. We all know that league isn't particularly generous with their ice time for the youngsters.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
It will be interesting to follow Kostenko and how things progress in terms of coming over. He checks a lot of boxes in terms of organizational needs, but league-wide it is difficult to gauge the availability of these prospects at the moment.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Kostenko’s play time and situation is perplexing to say the least.

He might be low on the depth chart, but they need to find him a place where he can actually play hockey.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Kostenko’s play time and situation is perplexing to say the least.

He might be low on the depth chart, but they need to find him a place where he can actually play hockey.

I think the towel is thrown in on him for the Habs perspective.

We've got so many defense prospects in way more intriguing positions. Looks like this guy just stagnated offensively and don't think his defensive game was ever his bread and butter.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
I think the towel is thrown in on him for the Habs perspective.

We've got so many defense prospects in way more intriguing positions. Looks like this guy just stagnated offensively and don't think his defensive game was ever his bread and butter.

Abundance of riches I guess.

We do have a lot of talented defensemen in pipeline so his lack of development doesn’t really hurt. Crazy how this team has been able to draft solid defensemen over a long period of time.

Probably easy to stagnate offensively when you barely see the ice. Disappointing when you take into account that he seemed to have some offensive potential.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
e1b7967a5654497bf028af441dee665d76372f8bdc9a4b6146901e511421ab60_1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: CheldishGamibno

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Kostenko with an assist today in a 4-0 Yugra win - lined up as 1RD

We still have a year and a half to decide but is there much hope for him?

He has a crazy amount of depth to hurtle but he seems to be showing a bit more. I’m guessing not but curious either way

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We still have a year and a half to decide but is there much hope for him?

He has a crazy amount of depth to hurtle but he seems to be showing a bit more. I’m guessing not but curious either way

I don't think so.. there's going to be some guys under normal circumstances would maybe earn an ELC that just don't get one with us.

Might start to see them getting thrown in to some trades.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
The Russian VHL hockey league is
IMG_3184.png
the equivalent, at a lower level, of the AHL. Dimitri Kostenko, a 21-year-old Habs (LD) prospect, is the fifth point scorer in the VHL among defensemen under 22 years old. For those who have watched him, is there any potential for him in the NHL, or even the AHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad