Value of: Dman to Tampa

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm not sure they do anything with how strapped they are for cap. Could probably use the depth though as any contender wants to add depth before the tournament.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Of course Yzerman is dead silent right now but I have to think something has been brewing between Detroit and Tampa. Yzerman knows the prospects/players well and has the cap space and veteran depth to help BriseBois in multiple ways.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Of course Yzerman is dead silent right now but I have to think something has been brewing between Detroit and Tampa. Yzerman knows the prospects/players well and has the cap space and veteran depth to help BriseBois in multiple ways.
Everyone has a NTC, why would they waive in the middle of another cup push to go to Detroit? Doesn't make sense.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm wary of strengthening the Avs biggest threat to a cup, but would Tampa be willing to do a hockey trade for Conor Timmins?

Avs need a 3C so curious on your thoughts on Joseph+ for Timmins for example. When I asked on capfriendly a few weeks ago it seemed to be a trade TBL fans were very much in favour of.

Again, I'm wary of trading with Tampa and wouldn't necessarily do this, but I'm curious to hear what Tampa fans here think of that idea.

Worth noting that Timmins is exempt from the expansion draft, as per capfriendly.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'm wary of strengthening the Avs biggest threat to a cup, but would Tampa be willing to do a hockey trade for Conor Timmins?

Avs need a 3C so curious on your thoughts on Joseph+ for Timmins for example. When I asked on capfriendly a few weeks ago it seemed to be a trade TBL fans were very much in favour of.

Again, I'm wary of trading with Tampa and wouldn't necessarily do this, but I'm curious to hear what Tampa fans here think of that idea.

Worth noting that Timmins is exempt from the expansion draft, as per capfriendly.

I might be wrong, but I don't think Joseph is a center.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Tampa doesn't often go for rentals, but maybe they try for Savard or maybe Montour. If they are looking for someone with a little term still and who has a lower cap hit, maybe they kick tires on Matt Benning out of Nashville. Not sure if the Preds are interested in trading him, but I could at least see Brisebois making a call. Manson would be more ideal, but the amount the Lightning would have to trade to get him would likely be prohibitive.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Tampa would decline this pretty quickly. Foote is part of the future on the right and it would take considerably more than a rental 6/7 LHD and a 4th to make Tampa even consider moving him.
Fair enough but Kulikov is more than a 6/7 LHD this season. He's been playing top 4 minutes and has been doing well. He can also play right side if needed.

Its tough to do a deal with Tampa due to their cap position. There is no incentive for NJ to take back older more expensive player back. Hence Foote might appeal because NJ lacks RHD depth and we got his brother Nolan from the Bolts last deadline.

I threw Volkov in the proposal to make it work from a cap point of view, but NJ don't really need him. They have plenty of young bottom 6 forwards.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Half the team has some kind of NTC, sure, not everyone. They could easily work out a deal.
The half that doesn't we need quite a bit because their lower salaries and term. It would be completely counter productive to move those contracts.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Who are some cheap bottom pairing dmen (preferably RHD) that are available at the deadline

Pieces available would include: Volkov, Johnson, Draft picks, Rutta, Raddysh, Katchouk

Like how you just casually throw in Johnson... he ain't going anywhere... unless that team is a contender and have zero state taxes. I doubt Vegas makes a trade to help the Lightning.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Fair enough but Kulikov is more than a 6/7 LHD this season. He's been playing top 4 minutes and has been doing well. He can also play right side if needed.

Its tough to do a deal with Tampa due to their cap position. There is no incentive for NJ to take back older more expensive player back. Hence Foote might appeal because NJ lacks RHD depth and we got his brother Nolan from the Bolts last deadline.

I threw Volkov in the proposal to make it work from a cap point of view, but NJ don't really need him. They have plenty of young bottom 6 forwards.
The problem is that in Tampa, Kulikov would be a 4th LD, behind Hedman, McD and Serg. RD is the one position where Tampa isn't that deep, so trading a future projected top 4 RD for a player who, in Tampa, would be at best a 3rd pairing LD rental(if they moved Serg to the right I suppose) just doesn't make sense from Tampa's point of view. If he can play the right then he's more interesting, but still, he's a rental that Tampa probably couldn't keep, so losing Foote is still a likely non starter. Kulikov is a solid depth add, but not at the cost of Foote for Tampa at this time.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Benn & Hamonic (only if he agrees to it)
Hamonic won’t move to Tampa
Yeah, isn't Rutta already a description of what your team would want? Bottom pair, RHD for cheap (plus he's a known entity).
Anyhow, Jordie Benn can be had -- he can play both left and right side D, is rugged and can play up the lineup if needed but is great to have as a depth guy.

Volkov (700k), Rutta ($1.3 mil) and a pick? Benn is $2 million, pending UFA.
if Tampa acquires a defenseman it won’t be for a defenseman. Even if whoever they got in return has some term left on his contract they would probably lose them in the expansion draft. There’s not enough in the minors to find two replacements including Ruta if he was dealt

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
It's definitely a significant cap hit but saves nearly 1m, granted the contract is a year longer. I figure at this point, it has to be a give and take type of deal if Johnson gets traded. On top of that, there's no need for some #6 type of player. If TB trades for a d-man, I'd hope it's for someone proven who can handle a signifiant role. Only reason I even mention Manson.
A trade like this never happens because even if the Lightning were to go the route of protecting four forwards and four defenseman in the expansion draft they would likely not be able to protect Manson. It is highly doubtful they would give up that many young and affordable assets to make that move.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Like how much more?
I don't see Foote as being available. Tampa has had very high hopes for him for quite some time. He wasn't available as a piece in the McD trade and wasn't an option from all reports in the negotiations for EK. Now that he's finally playing in Tampa, and at the one position where Tampa doesn't have great depth, moving him makes no sense. If Tampa does acquire a dman at the tdl, they most likely won't be trading a dman in the deal. It'll be a roster F to balance cap, picks and/or prospects.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I don't see Foote as being available. Tampa has had very high hopes for him for quite some time. He wasn't available as a piece in the McD trade and wasn't an option from all reports in the negotiations for EK. Now that he's finally playing in Tampa, and at the one position where Tampa doesn't have great depth, moving him makes no sense. If Tampa does acquire a dman at the tdl, they most likely won't be trading a dman in the deal. It'll be a roster F to balance cap, picks and/or prospects.
I do not see why not. If it is what it takes to unload Johnson's contract it is something that is going to have to be done. Foote is going to require a raise after next year and there is no cap there for that. The Cap can has been kicked down the road as far as possible now. If I had my choice I would move Cirelli with Johnson Keep Foote and make room for Kuch's Cap next year but thats me. JBB got lucky Kuch needed surgery this year but at some point we have got to give up someone and the D is not deep enough now so might as well take that bite of the shit sammich thats coming now to make this Cup run. This team can live without Cirelli and Johnson but losing D now is not an option.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I do not see why not. If it is what it takes to unload Johnson's contract it is something that is going to have to be done. Foote is going to require a raise after next year and there is no cap there for that. The Cap can has been kicked down the road as far as possible now. If I had my choice I would move Cirelli with Johnson Keep Foote and make room for Kuch's Cap next year but thats me. JBB got lucky Kuch needed surgery this year but at some point we have got to give up someone and the D is not deep enough now so might as well take that bite of the shit sammich thats coming now to make this Cup run. This team can live without Cirelli and Johnson but losing D now is not an option.
No, the team can move on without Johnson. Packaging Cirelli with him is a very poor move. Thankfully, Tamoa has a GM much smarter than that. There were already trades in place according to reports to move Johnson before Kucherov's injury situation.

The D if healthy is capable of winning another Cup, but adding a depth piece certainly wouldn't hurt. Foote isn't going anywhere barring a massive overpayment, and his raise will be nothing compared to this past year's rfa's. There are likely two paths for Tampa this offseason, trade Johnson, Killorn and let Coleman walk, or keep Coleman and convince Seattle to take McD. In any case, if Brisebois even tries to add a depth dman at the tdl, they won't be moving a defenseman out in the deal(unless it's Schenn or less likely, Rutta).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad