Value of: Dman to Tampa

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Who are some cheap bottom pairing dmen (preferably RHD) that are available at the deadline

Pieces available would include: Volkov, Johnson, Draft picks, Rutta, Raddysh, Katchouk

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Is there any way something could be done with Anaheim around Johnson/Manson?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Should also point out that equal or higher salary has to be going back from the Lightning, given that we are currently operating in LTIR. We don't accrue any cap space. Makes it really difficult to pull off anything.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Manson would be high on my list but i dont think his cap would work even moving out Johnson

It's definitely a significant cap hit but saves nearly 1m, granted the contract is a year longer. I figure at this point, it has to be a give and take type of deal if Johnson gets traded. On top of that, there's no need for some #6 type of player. If TB trades for a d-man, I'd hope it's for someone proven who can handle a signifiant role. Only reason I even mention Manson.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
It would have to be a right side D if we were to trade Rutta and I don't see why we would do that for a bottom pairing D.

Yeah, isn't Rutta already a description of what your team would want? Bottom pair, RHD for cheap (plus he's a known entity).
Anyhow, Jordie Benn can be had -- he can play both left and right side D, is rugged and can play up the lineup if needed but is great to have as a depth guy.

Volkov (700k), Rutta ($1.3 mil) and a pick? Benn is $2 million, pending UFA.

Reactions: Space umpire

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I wonder if there's any interest in Sean Walker? I'm not sure LA is looking to move him, but he might be a really good pickup for a cap-strapped team. Not sure what the ask would be from LA though.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Wouldn't be super cheap; he started off the season really rocky but has evened out. $2 million contract for a veteran RHD. I don't know if he can fetch a 2nd but I'm sure Fitz is gonna try. Probably more than Tampa is willing to pay.
I doubt that Fitz can fetch a 2nd. Maybe a 3rd. Vatanen has been worse than last season, though he has better lately as you wrote.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Who are some cheap bottom pairing dmen (preferably RHD) that are available at the deadline

Pieces available would include: Volkov, Johnson, Draft picks, Rutta, Raddysh, Katchouk

The third pair defender (@ 50% Ret) is no problem for Tampa. If necessary, it can be solved very simply at a minimal price.

Tampa's main problem can be seen at Capfriendly.
Projected cap hit: $ 98,555,257
Projected LTIR used: $ 17,055,256
Kucherov, Nikita (LTIR): $ 9,500,000

The real excess of the salary ceiling will still remain.
This should be done before the deadline or at the end of the season. The solution to the problem will be expensive (DET, OTT, BUF ....)
Maybe you have to pay Seattle.

If Kucherov recovers before the start of the playoffs, Tampa will have interesting days. If TBL and Kucherov have agreed on the duration of the player's illness, then everything is in order.
Good luck to the general manager of Tampa.

Reactions: Byrddog

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I doubt that Fitz can fetch a 2nd. Maybe a 3rd. Vatanen has been worse than last season, though he has better lately as you wrote.

Vatanen was also injured at last year's TDL and still fetched a 3rd & decent prospect in Kuokannen - a former 2nd rounder that's put up 15 points in the past 20 games. He should at least be able to fetch a 3rd this season as RHD are tougher to find.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Is there any way something could be done with Anaheim around Johnson/Manson?
Yes, but it would require the Lightning to add significant pieces. I don't want to make a proposal but Johnson's contract is not good. On a team that doesn't have TB's offensive firepower TJ is an undersized 3rd line C making solid #2C money. Johnson has been trending down for the past couple seasons and is currently producing 0.5pts/game on the highest scoring team in the NHL over the past 3 seasons. Throw in a NTC and TJ is a difficult move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad