Value of: Dman to Tampa

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
No, the team can move on without Johnson. Packaging Cirelli with him is a very poor move. Thankfully, Tamoa has a GM much smarter than that. There were already trades in place according to reports to move Johnson before Kucherov's injury situation.

The D if healthy is capable of winning another Cup, but adding a depth piece certainly wouldn't hurt. Foote isn't going anywhere barring a massive overpayment, and his raise will be nothing compared to this past year's rfa's. There are likely two paths for Tampa this offseason, trade Johnson, Killorn and let Coleman walk, or keep Coleman and convince Seattle to take McD. In any case, if Brisebois even tries to add a depth dman at the tdl, they won't be moving a defenseman out in the deal(unless it's Schenn or less likely, Rutta).
I have seen a number of poster say that a deal was in place to move Johnson and or killer. What I have not seem is proof of that. I also know that the CAP tightwire is going to break. Right now moving Killer and Johnson will only free up Kuch's Cap. There will be roster spots to be had looks like Colton is ready but ABB is not and the D is one major injury away from being in trouble. What if Heddy needed that Hip surgery that Point, Yanni and Kuch have had? We can just expect McD to miss some games due to age. Both out this becomes difficult. I think it a mistake to move Killer but it is going to be necessary. I also think that Cirelli will have to be moved after this bridge. Thats why I think it would be better to move him now and get the replacment for McD to be ready when he retires. A package of Johnson and Cirelli could get that done + some.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
They took Bogosian from Buffalo last year who everyone was shitting on and he was very serviceable for Tampa. Maybe they can acquire Dahlin as a rental for like a 4th?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I have seen a number of poster say that a deal was in place to move Johnson and or killer. What I have not seem is proof of that. I also know that the CAP tightwire is going to break. Right now moving Killer and Johnson will only free up Kuch's Cap. There will be roster spots to be had looks like Colton is ready but ABB is not and the D is one major injury away from being in trouble. What if Heddy needed that Hip surgery that Point, Yanni and Kuch have had? We can just expect McD to miss some games due to age. Both out this becomes difficult. I think it a mistake to move Killer but it is going to be necessary. I also think that Cirelli will have to be moved after this bridge. Thats why I think it would be better to move him now and get the replacment for McD to be ready when he retires. A package of Johnson and Cirelli could get that done + some.
ABB is certainly ready, he was given very little opportunity up here but he looked fine when he was playing. You are just playing a what if doom and gloom game with Tampa's scenarios re: injuries. They will not lose Cirelli after the bridge unless they want to, not because they have to. Tampa has been hearing about how they won't be able to make the cap work for 6 years now. Every single year we've heard the same garbage, and every year Tampa's management has found a reasonable solution.

Yes, Tampa will lose 3 guys next year. Johnson, likely Killorn(although I suppose it could be Palat), and then either Coleman or McD. Since they probably value keeping the d corps more intact, and since they are much deeper at F, they probably keep McD despite the possibility of his contract becoming an anchor near the end. Multiple 21 player rosters are possible with Colton, Stephens and ABB having more full time roles next year. On the flip side, if they do choose to make a deal to have Seattle take McD, then they can keep Coleman and have the 3LD be Borgman or another lesser cost player. I guess it just depends on JBB's view on the long term, whether sacrificing McD now to open up needed space later is more valuable than losing an additional forward now.

The cap will also be going up eventually, with both the expansion and the new TV deal coming, so future deals on players like Cirelli, Serg and Point will likely not be as impossible as some are dreaming about on here.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
ABB is certainly ready, he was given very little opportunity up here but he looked fine when he was playing. You are just playing a what if doom and gloom game with Tampa's scenarios re: injuries. They will not lose Cirelli after the bridge unless they want to, not because they have to. Tampa has been hearing about how they won't be able to make the cap work for 6 years now. Every single year we've heard the same garbage, and every year Tampa's management has found a reasonable solution.

Yes, Tampa will lose 3 guys next year. Johnson, likely Killorn(although I suppose it could be Palat), and then either Coleman or McD. Since they probably value keeping the d corps more intact, and since they are much deeper at F, they probably keep McD despite the possibility of his contract becoming an anchor near the end. Multiple 21 player rosters are possible with Colton, Stephens and ABB having more full time roles next year. On the flip side, if they do choose to make a deal to have Seattle take McD, then they can keep Coleman and have the 3LD be Borgman or another lesser cost player. I guess it just depends on JBB's view on the long term, whether sacrificing McD now to open up needed space later is more valuable than losing an additional forward now.

The cap will also be going up eventually, with both the expansion and the new TV deal coming, so future deals on players like Cirelli, Serg and Point will likely not be as impossible as some are dreaming about on here.
After last nights game without two of the top 4 Dmen I seriously doubt any scenario exists in moving McD. Foote is going to be good but he was exposed last night going to have to be patient with him like we were with Sergi. But D depth is a issue just like I talked about preseason. As long as they are all healthy were good but we need another BOGO type guy at the deadline.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
After last nights game without two of the top 4 Dmen I seriously doubt any scenario exists in moving McD. Foote is going to be good but he was exposed last night going to have to be patient with him like we were with Sergi. But D depth is a issue just like I talked about preseason. As long as they are all healthy were good but we need another BOGO type guy at the deadline.
How was Foote "exposed"? He's played like 20 games in the NHL. What's exposed is how stupid your expectations were of a rookie Defenseman getting his first taste of the NHL and then get pushed into a spot where he had to play top 4 minutes in the best league for the first time. And even then, one goal was on him on the PK. You want to give shit to anyone about yesterday's game, give it to Hedman and Rutta for that absolute pathetic defense on the fourth goal.

Reactions: JTBF81

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Hamonic won’t move to Tampa

if Tampa acquires a defenseman it won’t be for a defenseman. Even if whoever they got in return has some term left on his contract they would probably lose them in the expansion draft. There’s not enough in the minors to find two replacements including Ruta if he was dealt
Just give us a pick for Benn. Any interest?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad