Confirmed with Link: DJ Smith hired as an Assistant Coach (Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer too) - Post 96

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Smith will atleast add more scouting knowledge of the OHL, and his experience of coaching in against memorial cup talent.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It's a weird feeling to actually have faith in the scouting staff, but I'd be happy with Provorov at #4. For Hunter to overlook the 'obvious pick' in Marner, you'd have to think they see something pretty special in Provorov that others are missing if we do take him.

....having said that, I think we probably just take Marner.

Seems kind of funny hiring all this OHL talent and then picking two from the WHL?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I'll still reserve judgement until the Leafs release something official. D.J. Smith was quoted yesterday saying there was nothing there. So I'm still going to wait and see on this.

91Kadri91*

What else is there to poach? We got a couple scouts, the best coaches and 2 of the best talent finders of the CHL.

If they can get Cam Russell of the Halifax Mooseheads, who I think is one of the best from the Q, I don't know if we could have speculated better then they did.

I'd really like to see the Leafs get Serge Beausoleil as well. Rimouski had the highest FFClose% in the QMJHL this season, which obviously satisfies the possession preference of Dubas, Babcock and, if he has in fact been hired, D.J. Smith (Oshawa led the entire CHL in FFClose). There's also this:

Save those three pickups, most of the Oceanic team has played together for the last two or three years. If you take Clapperton out of their scoring list, their top 16(!) scorers are homegrown players, having played only for Rimouski in their QMJHL careers. That is some killer drafting and development by coach and GM Serge Beausoleil.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/rimouski--quebec-battle-for-president-s-cup-after-both-earning-berths-in-the-2015-memorial-cup-143135987.html

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Great hire....

Shanny has not taken a wrong step....so much for not being experienced!

As for Cox being an insider....anyone with contact within an organization is!

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I wouldn't be surprised if Cox's mock draft is like Bobby Mac's prospect ratings -- put together by others and simply presented by him.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
It boggles my mind that in all the years of this franchise's history, and we haven't made use of the literal sea of talent at all levels right in the Leafs' backyard. This is such a breath of fresh air to see great hockey minds from around the country being assembled with the goal of building not just a successful team, but a successful organzation.

Top executives, and coaches from the CHL, and NHL coming to Toronto all over the course of a year. Hopefully this report is true and DJ Smith is among them, and McCrimmon will follow once things are in order.

Hopefully this brain-trust doesn't just look good on paper, but also translates into success on the ice over the long term.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
according to Dreger according to the TSN update. the offer for Smith IS there and it is 4 years - nothing is official yet.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
so babcock and the last 2 OHL coach of the year winners

130517100906618.jpg

officialmark*

I'm starting to get excited for the draft with some of these hires. I really think we're going to take Hanafin, and I'd be ecstatic. All of the coaches in the organization acknowledge that D wins cups. When you got the next Doughty/Keith on the board, you don't pick the small skilled forward that will likely be a winger.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm starting to get excited for the draft with some of these hires. I really think we're going to take Hanafin, and I'd be ecstatic. All of the coaches in the organization acknowledge that D wins cups. When you got the next Doughty/Keith on the board, you don't pick the small skilled forward that will likely be a winger.

It bothers me a little when someone tries to say we NEED to draft a specific player, assuming because he's that great and all, but can't bother to know how to spell his name correctly.

Hanifin could also become Jack Johnson, who's far from a great defender, while Mitch Marner becomes the next Claude Giroux or Patrick Kane. Who the hell knows...

officialmark*

It bothers me a little when someone tries to say we NEED to draft a specific player, assuming because he's that great and all, but can't bother to know how to spell his name correctly.

Hanifin could also become Jack Johnson, who's far from a great defender, while Mitch Marner becomes the next Claude Giroux or Patrick Kane. Who the hell knows...

There's a reason Hanifin has been touted to go #3 all year, and only behind the 2 generational talents. Marner will be good, but a highly skilled winger is easier to acquire than a #1 franchise D-Man.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

That's a very legit fear / concern. But the upside is too good to pass over. You look at Hedmen, Keith, Seabrook and Mcdonah you almost can't help but drafting a player at his caliber

Imagine Reilley and Hanifin, my god, I get hard on

If we are not going to get the best forward in this draft, then we should aim for the best D. To me, it's Hanifin or Barzal

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
All your OHL executives are belong to us.

That's a very legit fear / concern. But the upside is too good to pass over. You look at Hedmen, Keith, Seabrook and Mcdonah you almost can't help but drafting a player at his caliber

Imagine Reilley and Hanifin, my god, I get hard on

If we are not going to get the best forward in this draft, then we should aim for the best D. To me, it's Hanifin or Barzal

Erm :whaaa?:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

That's why drafts are just crap shoots. Someone projects to be a great player but sometimes they can't handle the change from junior.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Kenny Jonsson wow - Sundin lost his marbles on Jonsson one time - can't remember anything else about him...

Anyway - DJ Smith - here's to hoping.

It payback time - he's coming to make amends.

I thought these were line combinations for a second

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad