Confirmed with Link: DJ Smith hired as an Assistant Coach (Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer too) - Post 96

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Ben Simon is still around. It's just he was offered a position in management. The thing is, we don't know what. Dineen is also still around barring he wants to take the job here. So we have at least one, maybe two, positions to fill.

The only thing that makes sense, since he's not ready for one of the bigger jobs in the organization and isn't really the most ideal scout, is to be the assistant GM to Dubas for the Marlies. So pretty much how Dubas is the AGM for the Leafs and the GM for the Marlies, he'd be the same thing except the GM for the Marlies and the Leafs/Marlies rep for the ECHL development (since Orlando has a GM right now I believe). So essentially, he watches over whom to bring in from the ECHL for the AHL and watches over the development of the guys in the ECHL. We are becoming a 2 tier development system, why not get someone good looking out for the new tier. He was responsible for Froese, so he's already hit a homerun on his first hit. Let's see what else he can do. That would be ideal for me, besides buying up Orlando, moving them to Markham and having our entire 3 tier system in the GTA for close monitoring of our prospects and teams at all times.

I am really hoping that they do this - move the SolarBears to Ontario.I am surprised that it hasn't even come up in media or anything. the way that Dubas really wants the ECHL to be part of this entire process, that no one said "hey - why not move them to the GTA/Golden Horseshoe Area?"

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Do they count against the contract limit and cap? :sarcasm:

If Shanahan can ice as good looking team as he can a front office then boys and girls we are in for a blissful season. The front office and coaching staffs are rounding out nicely and I can't wait to see this product start making magic happen with players (coming and going, as well as actually playing).

JMilne*

Do they count against the contract limit and cap? :sarcasm:

If Shanahan can ice as good looking team as he can a front office then boys and girls we are in for a blissful season. The front office and coaching staffs are rounding out nicely and I can't wait to see this product start making magic happen with players (coming and going, as well as actually playing).

I was thinking the Same thing I'm just waiting for the leafs to do somthing I see all these other teams making trades and signings all ready im just waiting for the leafs to do so can't wait till draft day I can see somthing taking place even if it's not a huge trade just somthing !

Gloob

Nov 14, 2009
I was thinking the Same thing I'm just waiting for the leafs to do somthing I see all these other teams making trades and signings all ready im just waiting for the leafs to do so can't wait till draft day I can see somthing taking place even if it's not a huge trade just somthing !

? what trades and signings?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I remember the dramatic turn-around when Pat Quinn took over the Leafs with pretty much the same personal on the ice. He moved a few pieces in and out but I think the Leafs may turn this product around more rapidly than anyone expects.

I'm fine if it takes a long time but this looks to be an awesome coaching staff from the AHL up. Cannot believe how much Shanny has accomplished in one calendar year.

Mar 12, 2009
If we're following this list then yes. Three vacancies under Babcock have now been filled with Smith, Hiller and Brewer on board.

leafsorgcharttln.png

Now we need the goalie coach. Hopefully we can get the guy who Bernier apparently likes.

So Brandon Pridham is kind of like our Dwight Schrute?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I could see this going to McCrimmon.

Right now it's the only position I see McCrimmon being offered, but I could see him replacing Hunters current role as well.

Director of player personnel and pro scouting sounds good to me.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
I remember the dramatic turn-around when Pat Quinn took over the Leafs with pretty much the same personal on the ice. He moved a few pieces in and out but I think the Leafs may turn this product around more rapidly than anyone expects.

I'm fine if it takes a long time but this looks to be an awesome coaching staff from the AHL up. Cannot believe how much Shanny has accomplished in one calendar year.
Quinn was something else, yeah.

Babcock is very exceptional too, so anything can happen for certainly. He will do good I guarantee it.

Who plays our d-man now that we have all the assistant coaches signed by the way? D.J Smith?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I am really hoping that they do this - move the SolarBears to Ontario.I am surprised that it hasn't even come up in media or anything. the way that Dubas really wants the ECHL to be part of this entire process, that no one said "hey - why not move them to the GTA/Golden Horseshoe Area?"

Does MLSE own them?

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
DJ Smith = Dmen + PK
Hiller = Offence + PP

In his one season in Detroit, Hiller improved their mediocre PP and made them #2 in the NHL... Surprising if you look at their roster vs other teams.
Ok it was D.J Smith who controls the d-men. Got it.

Detroit has always had great PP. McLellan; Todd had a great deal to do with it too in his time with the wings. But there has been others as well. Holmstrom and the Mule have played big roles on the PP as well (best guys to have in front of every goalie). Also Lidstrom etc d-guys used to shoot a lot intentionally shots on the boards and then the puck just bounced in front of the net and they had guys scrampling all those small black pucks in after that. Great PP and I hope we'll get it going also.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Buckle up! We have middle managers and coaches and secretaries coming in!

Yup, we got what we think, may be, some really good assistant coaches. Sure they have no NHL experience, but they are young and bright, or at least that's what we are told.

Selling hope to the success starved for the past 48 years.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Ok it was D.J Smith who controls the d-men. Got it.

Detroit has always had great PP. McLellan; Todd had a great deal to do with it too in his time with the wings. But there has been others as well. Holmstrom and the Mule have played big roles on the PP as well (best guys to have in front of every goalie). Also Lidstrom etc d-guys used to shoot a lot intentionally shots on the boards and then the puck just bounced in front of the net and they had guys scrampling all those small black pucks in after that. Great PP and I hope we'll get it going also.

They were 17th the year before Hiller and 2nd the year he took over with a very average roster

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Yup, we got what we think, may be, some really good assistant coaches. Sure they have no NHL experience, but they are young and bright, or at least that's what we are told.

Selling hope to the success starved for the past 48 years.

... Hiller & Brewer were in the NHL..
unless Detroit got relegated or something.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

If they really want an ECHL affiliate in the Golden Horseshoe, I think they would switch affiliation to the Brampton Beast after their agreement with Orlando runs out at the end of 2015-16.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

some leaf fans will remember d.j. Smith when he was an added defenceman as part of a major trade that saw wendel clark begin in his second tenure in toronto in 1996.

If you don’t remember that, smith won’t take it personally.

By his own admission, he was fortunate to have a short time as a player in the nhl, a small portion of that with the maple leafs and six seasons with their ahl affiliate, the st. John’s maple leafs.

“i used the word lucky really, to have a chance to be a part of the maple leafs as a player in that trade and play a few games for the team was the highlight of my career and now to have a second chance as a coach, it’s unbelievable,†said smith.

The windsor, ont., native is coming off an incredible run with the oshawa generals, where he led them to their first memorial cup in 25 years. He’s found his success as a coach, something that came with understanding the agony of trying to find his role as a player.

“i’m the same as when i was a player. I wasn’t a flashy guy, i worked hard for everything. It’s the same in coaching,†said smith. “i started out as an assistant just helping out in junior, second assistant to finally being a head coach to finally getting this opportunity. So i spent 12 years in the ontario hockey league to get here. I’ve learned a lot of things along the way but i have a lot more to learn if i want to be an nhl head coach one day.â€

when the maple leafs brought in sheldon keefe to coach the marlies, a lot of the draw came to being given the time necessary to develop as a coach. With smith, the opportunity is about the same. He will be with the leafs on a day-to-day basis. But, he’s in it to learn

there were no shortage of suitors for smith’s services, given what he accomplished. But both mark hunter and kyle dubas pursued smith shortly after the generals victory parade in oshawa. A conversation then took place during hockey canada’s program of excellence camp to which smith was a participant. After that, a conversation between smith and mike babcock sealed the deal.

“the big draw for me with mike is that he not only develops players, he develops coaches. And i’m looking to get better. I need to push myself and i think it’s the perfect time to move on after winning the memorial cup nd a new chapter and a new challenge in my life.â€

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Finding the GM last seems so backwards

There appear to be three kinds of organization structures these days in the NHL.

President & GM: Once person holds both roles, such as when Brian Burke was in Toronto.

Weak President, Strong GM: There is a president but he takes more of a hands off approach and lets the GM run things.

Strong President, Weak GM: The president is more hands-on. The GM takes a lesser role. Likely more of a committee approach. This seems to be the case in Colorado and Columbus and possibly other places.

Toronto is clearly aiming for the third.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
There appear to be three kinds of organization structures these days in the NHL.

President & GM: Once person holds both roles, such as when Brian Burke was in Toronto.

Weak President, Strong GM: There is a president but he takes more of a hands off approach and lets the GM run things.

Strong President, Weak GM: The president is more hands-on. The GM takes a lesser role. Likely more of a committee approach. This seems to be the case in Colorado and Columbus and possibly other places.

Toronto is clearly aiming for the third.

your third - while I agree - I don't think it's necessarily a Strong President/Weak GM dynamic. with Columbus I think JD & Jarmo are a partnership.

Sakic is actually President & GM (but I honestly think it's Roy that rules that roost).

but ultimately. the front office structure is changing within the NHL. so i don't think there anything is "backward" as long as you ultimately get the right people, which is all that we should be worried about.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
your third - while I agree - I don't think it's necessarily a Strong President/Weak GM dynamic. with Columbus I think JD & Jarmo are a partnership.

Sakic is actually President & GM (but I honestly think it's Roy that rules that roost).

but ultimately. the front office structure is changing within the NHL. so i don't think there anything is "backward" as long as you ultimately get the right people, which is all that we should be worried about.

Oh, you're right about Colorado. I thought Greg Sherman still had the GM title.

In any event, I think the Strong President/Weak GM is more of a partnership. It's probably poorly phrased but what I meant is a president who is stronger than an average president and a GM who is weaker than an average GM. Basically, the president in such arrangements has more of say in things that might solely be the GM's discretion in a strong GM arrangement.

In any event, I think most front offices of sports teams work largely as a team. And if you examined them closely, you'd probably find that each of those teams worked together in different ways. How people work together is more often determined by the individuals involved than by some rigid set of rules.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
As I said, Damien Cox has his spies in the Leafs office. He has been deadly accurate since he broke Shanahan was the Leafs new President. Better read his columns and tweets closely for clues. And his mock draft.

16 Jun 2015

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/1...ld-be-returning-to-team-as-an-assistant-coach

D.J. Smith downplays speculation in him taking coaching job with Leafs 57

BY TERRY KOSHAN, TORONTO SUN
FIRST POSTED: MONDAY, JUNE 15, 2015 03:21 PM EDT

Looks like Damien Cox and his CIA spies got scooped by Terry Koshan (who?)

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto

Does MLSE own them?

i think they are partial owners?

If not, it wouldn't be hard for them to fix that.

no. solar bears are owned by another guy. we just have an agreement to use their team as a developmental team. mlse doesn't own them.

http://orlandosolarbearshockey.com/news/111611-solarbears.html (first paragraph)

you guys know the Brampton Beast are now an ECHL team, affiliated with an NHL club?

The Canadiens were smarter than the Leafs and made Brampton their ECHL club, even though its like a 20 min drive from Toronto... We're sending our players to Orlando :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad