Confirmed with Link: DJ Smith fired, Jacques Martin in as interim, Alfie as assistant

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I would've been optimistic a month ago. But looking at it now, nothing will save us. Dorion screwed this team over for years to come. Zero depth, empty cupboard, shit goaltending, lost picks.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Lol wtf. Thank heavens.

Love that it's Jacques.

Honestly, best wishes to DJ. He'll never get another head coach gig, and it's a put up or shut up position, but he always struck me as a genuinely nice guy. The type I wish would succeed, but couldn't for whatever reason.
There are only 32 HC jobs.

I think he will quickly get a spot somewhere else as part of a coaching staff, just not as a HC.

Maybe if another team ends up in a similar spot you the Sens at the start of the rebuild, where they need a likeable players coach to bridge them to when they are ready to compete.

It seems like he was good in what the role originally was meant to be, which was coach and manage the situation caused by this being a budget team/full scale rebuild. He just wasn't good enough or didn't know how to turn the corner with this group when the rebuild was supposedly over 2 years ago.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Still waiting for the Sens to win the cup with DJ so we can all apologize to him.

The numbnuts on the board still think there's DJ is going to get another NHL head coaching gig soon? lol
I honestly think he could get another job some day. Dont think he has done as bad a job as people say, Dorion and Melnyk set him up for failure. By the time he had a decent roster that could actually compete the message had gone stale. Happens, I just hate that Capuano is still around. The D core has been the most mismanged part of this team for a long time. Want a fresh voice from top to bottom here.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I honestly think he could get another job some day. Dont think he has done as bad a job as people say, Dorion and Melnyk set him up for failure. By the time he had a decent roster that could actually compete the message had gone stale. Happens, I just hate that Capuano is still around. The D core has been the most mismanged part of this team for a long time. Want a fresh voice from top to bottom here.
only a matter of time

Doubt Martin is the long term fix here

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

I think he will quickly get a spot somewhere else as part of a coaching staff, just not as a HC.

Maybe if another team ends up in a similar spot you the Sens at the start of the rebuild, where they need a likeable players coach to bridge them to when they are ready to compete.

It seems like he was good in what the role originally was meant to be, which was coach and manage the situation caused by this being a budget team/full scale rebuild. He just wasn't good enough or didn't know how to turn the corner with this group when the rebuild was supposedly over 2 years ago.
doubt he gets an assistant position anytime soon

Reactions: Cosmix

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
LETS GOOOO

Odd that Payne is out but Capuano stays for now

Pretty common that one stays on during the rest of the season. Oilers fired Woodcroft and Manson but Gulutzan stayed. Wild fired Evason and Woods but Hendrikson stayed on.

Reactions: Senscore

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Ya, it's not completely out of the question, I'm certainly not the authority on it, but I'll be surprised if he gets another go after this and the record on paper.

I said all along this guy wouldn't be here when the team eventually is succeeding. Just had that aura to him that he wasn't the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad