Speculation: DJ Smith Extended

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I still like DJ and appreciate his work with the young guys. Can't support the D pairings but he adjusted last year a bit and if they actually have a plan to round out Brannstrom's play to get him be up and stay up with the big club then we have to deal with the pain in the shorter term.

He can also only play the guys who are on the roster and make the best of it BUT if I have to hear how Brown is our deterrent I will lose it - the guys isn't really that physical and certainly isn't looking after our guys. He would have had opportunity to "speak" to Ovi about that hit on Paul at some point in the game but nothing.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I still like DJ and appreciate his work with the young guys. Can't support the D pairings but he adjusted last year a bit and if they actually have a plan to round out Brannstrom's play to get him be up and stay up with the big club then we have to deal with the pain in the shorter term.

He can also only play the guys who are on the roster and make the best of it BUT if I have to hear how Brown is our deterrent I will lose it - the guys isn't really that physical and certainly isn't looking after our guys. He would have had opportunity to "speak" to Ovi about that hit on Paul at some point in the game but nothing.

Brown is not a deterrent and might be more than a little intimidated to role up on a legend. Someone who is more of an established player, or an up and coming star, has to do that.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I still can't understand how he rolled the fourth line out there after Ottawa, with all the momentum in the world, tied the game 4-4

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
It's strange. If we have a lead going into the third, it seems we try and lock it down instead of getting 1 or two more goals and putting it away. I remember a game I was at in Carolina, 3-1 going into the third and my Father said "1 more and we're good." I said "Nope, we will try and trap". We lost in a shootout. Cameron was the coach then. I think this is a team philosophy..not a coaching one.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
It's strange. If we have a lead going into the third, it seems we try and lock it down instead of getting 1 or two more goals and putting it away. I remember a game I was at in Carolina, 3-1 going into the third and my Father said "1 more and we're good." I said "Nope, we will try and trap". We lost in a shootout. Cameron was the coach then. I think this is a team philosophy..not a coaching one.
More like a hockey philosophy. Every team does that in this situation

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I remember the Jacques Martin days where we just expected every player to be responsible defensively but otherwise our offense was consistent. We could build on leads by taking advantage of other teams being more aggressive giving us more odd man rushes and more goals.

Didn't matter if we were up or down, we played the same way. He just knew that if you player responsible defensively and counter attacked effectively, you'd score more goals then you'd allow and win more games than you'd lose. Let the numbers play out over the long run.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I remember the Jacques Martin days where we just expected every player to be responsible defensively but otherwise our offense was consistent. We could build on leads by taking advantage of other teams being more aggressive giving us more odd man rushes and more goals.

Didn't matter if we were up or down, we played the same way. He just knew that if you player responsible defensively and counter attacked effectively, you'd score more goals then you'd allow and win more games than you'd lose. Let the numbers play out over the long run.

The good old days where Toronto embarrassed us every year in the playoffs.

We were solid defensively but had very little flair as our horses were never let loose, and we had zero bite to our game and we’re easily intimidated.

I don’t miss those days at all.

I do think Jacque was a great coach, but had his limitations. He could be good as the D coach, or perhaps a higher up postion.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

We were solid defensively but had very little flair as our horses were never let loose, and we had zero bite to our game and we’re easily intimidated.

I do think Jacque was a great coach, but had his limitations. He could be good as the D coach, or perhaps a higher up postion.
I miss winning. Don't miss getting gooned out of the playoffs. I think those teams where always in the top of the league in scoring.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Oh ya, not saying it was perfect or anything haha. We just knew what we were getting, I guess.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I miss winning. Don't miss getting gooned out of the playoffs. I think those teams where always in the top of the league in scoring.

Yup regular season darlings, and man I loved those teams, but as we know given that we all had lead fan friends, it was scarring by the time the third match up came around.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Oh ya, not saying it was perfect or anything haha. We just knew what we were getting, I guess.

Yeah no doubt. Man I remember team announcers HATING us and our trap/defensive play lol…. Just such disdain for our guys suffocating other teams and then leaving with the 2-1 win.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

wasn't it basically goaltending that won Toronto most of those series?

Belfour, Joseph they always seemed to outplay Lalime.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Yup regular season darlings, and man I loved those teams, but as we know given that we all had lead fan friends, it was scarring by the time the third match up came around.
Got in a fight at Minglewoods, now Pub 101, when we got swept in 2004, with Leaf fans. Sens fans are tough, Leaf fans have refs/bouncers.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yeah no doubt. Man I remember team announcers HATING us and our trap/defensive play lol…. Just such disdain for our guys suffocating other teams and then leaving with the 2-1 win.

Except we were always one of the top scoring teams too.

So we'd be up 2-1 going into the third but would then get an insurance goal and then maybe an empty netter. Win 3-1 or 4-1.

Reactions: Loach and Ice-Tray

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
DJ was wrong about the D at the start of last season - Zub didn’t even dress. And he’s doing it again with bad, old slow vets when what we need is something more dynamic. The entire fan base was asking for Brannstrom to play last year at the exact same time.

His slow D let in 7 goals - common man.

It was one bad game. If you remove that one game we have the 6th best goals against average in the league.

You're sorely mistaken if you think Brannstom would have made a difference that game.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It wasn’t even a bad game, it was a great game in a lot of ways in terms of offence and in terms of competitiveness and battling back.

It was not a good defensive effort, but we have been pretty good defensively up to that point.

Consistency is the big issue with a young team so we shouldn’t be surprised that we struggle sometimes.

In truth, this was a game with poor defence outside of Chabot and Zub, and excellent offence. It doesn’t really sound like a game that needed an injection of EB specifically to me.

He’ll be back, and I’m looking forward to seeing if he’s tweaked his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad