Speculation: DJ Smith Extended

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I feel like DJ Smith deserves credit for some of the bold roster moves he has made. He seems like a coach willing to adapt and today's game against Tampa shows that.

He has recieved a ton of hate, so I feel credit is due when he helps the team win games and look good doing so.

I don't hate DJ like some, but I do feel like some changes he makes are the variety where he's left with little options.

It took losing White and Pinto to long term injuries, and a failed experiment with Paul as a center before he tried out Stützle at center.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I don't hate DJ like some, but I do feel like some changes he makes are the variety where he's left with little options.

It took losing White and Pinto to long term injuries, and a failed experiment with Paul as a center before he tried out Stützle at center.

Agreed. Good point, but I feel like certain coaches out there would never "admit" their mistakes by making changes or adjustments.

So far Smith (and even Dorion) have had no problem putting their reputations on the line by getting rid of or making changes like trading Dadonov, benching Murray, Del Zotto, playing Gus when he was hot, using Thomson more when he was playing well, and a few more I am probably forgetting.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Hard to judge a coach who does not have a legit starting NHL goalie.

But Last nights game is exactly why I’m not sure if DJ Smith is the right coach for this team. Team enthusiasm and being a Senators players hasn’t been this good in a while - but the team wasn’t ready in the 1st period and loses the game. The story is the comeback in the 3rd and it was fun and you love that spirit, but the team was down 5-1 and that’s because they aren’t ready to play - that is on DJ and coaching.

It’s hard to tell where he is at as a coach because the team is just so wildly inconsistent - you have a 30 year old CA keeping his team in games despite slow starts (Sens M.O. for the last 12 years) and DJ Smith suddenly comes into focus for his coaching ability.

Also not dressing Brannstrom is stupid we all agree - just not sticking with him and letting his game grow when all that talent is there and he has clearly been one of the best 6 Dmen walking in this city for the last 365 days is a crime. DJs stubbornness for the slow and ineffective Dmen is his worst attribute as a coach. When he fills out his lineup card I generally never agree with at least 1 guy on D every night. He has to be willing to see he’s made such bad evaluations the last 2 seasons with Brannstrom and played some really bad and end of career guys in his place - hurt the team

Last edited:

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

But Last nights game is exactly why I’m not sure if DJ Smith is the right coach for this team. Team enthusiasm and being a Senators players hasn’t been this good in a while - but the team wasn’t ready in the 1st period and loses the game. The story is the comeback in the 3rd and it was fun and you love that spirit, but the team was down 5-1 and that’s because they aren’t ready to play - that is on DJ and coaching.

It’s hard to tell where he is at as a coach because the team is just so wildly inconsistent - you have a 30 year old CA keeping his team in games despite slow starts (Sens M.O. for the last 12 years) and DJ Smith suddenly comes into focus for his coaching ability.

Also not dressing Brannstrom is stupid we all agree - just not sticking with him and letting his game grow when all that talent is there and he has clearly been one of the best 6 Dmen walking in this city for the last 365 days is a crime. DJs stubbornness for the slow and ineffective Dmen is his worst attribute as a coach. When he fills out his lineup card I generally never agree with at least 1 guy on D every night. He has to be willing to see he’s made such bad evaluations the last 2 seasons with Brannstrom and played some really bad and end of career guys in his place - hurt the team
Are you serious, 22 shot in the first and the team was not ready. It’s the goalie that cost us the game. If Murray don’t have catch this virus, we could have 4 win in row

Reactions: aragorn

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Are you serious, 22 shot in the first and the team was not ready. It’s the goalie that cost us the game. If Murray don’t have catch this virus, we could have 4 win in row

He doesn’t have a goalie but DJ is coaching a bottom 3 NHL team. He deserves a goalie but it’s not Like this team didn’t lose to Buffalo 2 days ago

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Totally disagree with this take, we were totally outplaying them.
We were out-shooting them 15-4, and down 3-1. 8 minutes in, which became 2-1 after offside review. Forsberg was struggling again.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Totally disagree with this take, we were totally outplaying them.
We were out-shooting them 15-4, and down 3-1. 8 minutes in, which became 2-1 after offside review. Forsberg was struggling again.

DJ deserves a goalie but the teams play in front of their own net is still not good enough to win in the NHL.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think at times people are expecting too much from this team, most in the hockey world had Ottawa near the bottom of their division & the league when this season started. Goaltending has been an achilles heel for this team all yr & for numerous yrs it's hard to remember when we ever had good consistent goaltending.

Add to that their 4th line should all be in Belleville & throughout this yr they have had to play with a few AHL players in their lineup every game. Then there is the defence that has been completely inconsistent again this yr & the fact that the GM never seems to add the right players during free agency. While it's a recipe for disaster this young team has battled through it despite the inconsistencies & incompetence of management decisions.

We can see that they are ripe for taking the next step & hopefully next season when they have more of the right people in place they can start moving up the standings & challenge for the playoffs. They have the scoring, the speed, the grit & the determination, they just need to find consistency in net & on defence & replace their AHL players with legitimate NHL payers. Sanderson, Sokolov & a healthy Pinto should help a future team a lot.

RIP - Meatloaf & comedian Louie Anderson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad