OT: Divison leader rule

SteveV*

On Score, we are ranked seventh in league, but only sixth in our conference. That is just bizarre.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
According to presented/proposed realignment in the future there will be only 2 divisions in each conference so after this season this situation will no longer exist.

Hopefully the new proposal goes through, this rule is so frustrating to put up

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
the last time we were in the conference finals, we had more points than Carolina but they had home ice due to this stupid rule. It needs to go, guarantee a spot, not an instant win of the divison/home ice advantage. It truly isn't fair/right.

the loser point could go away too.

dougieg93

Pray for Parayko
Jun 17, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I wish they would. It seems ridiculous that a team that has more actual wins but fewer points than another team due to lack of loser points is ranked lower. I know the NHL has that ROW tie breaker but it is just that- a tie breaker, so a team that thrives on loser points can still rank higher than one that gets more regulation and overtime wins. Crazy system.

I think the sane solution if they wanted to keep the shootout, is to only give the extra point when overtime is completed and prior to the shootout. If a team wins in overtime, the losing team doesn't earn a point.

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
wow a Leafs forum ragging div leader rule and the SE div on top of that... This Div has won the most Stanley Cups in the Eastern Conference since 2004, each of these teams have made the playoffs more recently then us & were recently all ahead of us in last years standings, and most recently we have lost our last 2 contests vs. this Div... but ya lets keep complaining b/c we are in a real good spot to do so!

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
On Score, we are ranked seventh in league, but only sixth in our conference. That is just bizarre.

whats bizzare?
There are 2 teams in the West with a better record and 4 teams in the East making them 7th in NHL...
Carolina is ahead of them in conf rank as a div leader (only 1 pt back) dropping them from 5th best record to 6th

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Not sure if this was worth creating a thread over but noticing the standings, the division leader rule is absolutely ridiculous. The Pens are sitting in 2nd place with 26 points (tied with us) and Carolina in 3rd place with 21 points.

If you look at the standings by highest points vs lowest the Pens sit in 4th, Leafs 5th, Carolina barely in a playoff spot at 8th( tied with jets)

This rule makes no sense at all, giving teams that should be in 8th a top spot and home ice advantage. Anyone have a legit reason why this rule was made ? And if there's any league proposals on removing it ? Does the new conference proposal cover this at all ?

I couldn't agree more. I think they might have done it so that some divisions weren't completely shut out of the playoffs - but it is still dumb.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Leafs are eighth in the league and sixth in the East. It does seem odd based purely on the optics at first glance but that's because league rankings don't do automatic seeding for division leaders. It goes purely on points and applicable tie breakers.

The Hutch

May 1, 2010
New Westminster, BC
Going forward, if the league were kept to six divisions then I would want to see that system changed. At the very least, a weak division leader should be bumped down to fifth in the standings. It keeps them in the playoffs, but they'd lose home ice advantage.

hockeyfanz*

wow a Leafs forum ragging div leader rule and the SE div on top of that... This Div has won the most Stanley Cups in the Eastern Conference since 2004, each of these teams have made the playoffs more recently then us & were recently all ahead of us in last years standings, and most recently we have lost our last 2 contests vs. this Div... but ya lets keep complaining b/c we are in a real good spot to do so!

LMFAO :laugh:

classic.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Obviously we know that. It's been like this for a long time, if you were "around in 67", you should have known that. Learn something new every day, eh?
wow this makes even less sense then your first comment I replied to.

get some sleep and maybe you'll understand in the morning

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
The entire SE division has been feasting off of this mediocrity for such a long time its gross, but them's the breaks. Not everything can be fair all the time.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
wow this makes even less sense then your first comment I replied to.

get some sleep and maybe you'll understand in the morning

Try reading stuff multiple times then or drink less. They both make sence.

My first is saying "since this changes next year and we know it, why bother complaining about a rule they fixed?".

My next is saying "it has been like this for a looooong time". I see people making this thread yearly like it is some sort of new rule.

Besides, this rule benefits the team who finishes 6th, so why the hell are WE complaining about it? We seem destined for 6th. Canes might not even have Ward (if they win that awful division)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad