OT: Divison leader rule

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Not sure if this was worth creating a thread over but noticing the standings, the division leader rule is absolutely ridiculous. The Pens are sitting in 2nd place with 26 points (tied with us) and Carolina in 3rd place with 21 points.

If you look at the standings by highest points vs lowest the Pens sit in 4th, Leafs 5th, Carolina barely in a playoff spot at 8th( tied with jets)

This rule makes no sense at all, giving teams that should be in 8th a top spot and home ice advantage. Anyone have a legit reason why this rule was made ? And if there's any league proposals on removing it ? Does the new conference proposal cover this at all ?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Dumbest rule ever. Basically hands free playoff spot to weaker teams for no reason.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
What makes it worse is that they play most of thier games against teams in their own division.....the worst division.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
A few years ago Caps made the playoffs on the last day but didnt finish 8th, they jumped to 3rd. Pretty odd going from 9th or 10th to 3rd on a single night at the end of a season

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I don't have a problem with giving the division winner a playoff spot, but rank the overall conference based on points. That way, the Southeast division winner would most likely be the 7th or 8th seed in the East. The current format is stupid.

KesselLooksLikeRadar*

I'm honestly not going to complain IF we hold the 6th seed. This is easily the best of the bottom 4 seeds, so, I'll be happy if we can retain it

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I'm honestly not going to complain IF we hold the 6th seed. This is easily the best of the bottom 4 seeds, so, I'll be happy if we can retain it

For some reason, we never show up when we play CAR. Weird, because all SE division team suck balls and none deserve a playoff spot.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Carolina has three games in hand on us...the rule is fine. The SE division just sucks.

If Carolina wins their 3 games in hand they are ahead of us in the standings.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Carolina has three games in hand on us...the rule is fine. The SE division just sucks.

If Carolina wins their 3 games in hand they are ahead of us in the standings.

They get free wins from playing the weakest division for about half their games.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
According to presented/proposed realignment in the future there will be only 2 divisions in each conference so after this season this situation will no longer exist.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
What makes it worse is that they play most of thier games against teams in their own division.....the worst division.

Totally agree, its useless. The same thing happens in baseball where the Tigers get to beat up on **** teams and get a playoff spot while a team is a tougher division with 7 more wins doesn't make it in....

Look at 2012: Florida has 94(!) points (6th best in the East) and gets 3rd seed while teams with 108, 103 and 102 points are ranked behind Florida

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
They get free wins from playing the weakest division for about half their games.

Except they are 1-5 in division games this year and are destroying everyone else. Which kind of kills the argument that they're inflating their record by feasting on crappy teams.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
It's ridiculous. I used to ***** about this all the time (back in the day when we used to make the playoffs), but the NHL wants SE teams with a shot at the cup so..

either win the division or sit in the 4/5 spot and go through a through an always tough 1st round.

daner

Feb 18, 2009
SE division and playoffs is like when your parents told you to bring your younger sibling along to a party or something because they don't have anything to do. Kinda kills your buzz ya know.

Same deal.

And I love my siblings btw :P haha

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I don't have a problem with giving the division winner a playoff spot, but rank the overall conference based on points. That way, the Southeast division winner would most likely be the 7th or 8th seed in the East. The current format is stupid.
Very true. The format it self is a tad flawed but there wouldn't be issues if they did it purely based on points but division leaders hold a playoff spot.

Although, I think realignment changes this problem if it goes through doesn't it?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Last night was Carolina first win against the SE division. They lost 5 straight times before that :laugh:

All the teams in that division are terrible...one of the terrible teams get the #3 spot.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
Next step: get rid of the loser point. :nod:

I wish they would. It seems ridiculous that a team that has more actual wins but fewer points than another team due to lack of loser points is ranked lower. I know the NHL has that ROW tie breaker but it is just that- a tie breaker, so a team that thrives on loser points can still rank higher than one that gets more regulation and overtime wins. Crazy system.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
what would be the point of divisions without this rule?

Exactly. I think the divisions were designed to produce rivalries and increase fan bases. Other than that the divisions make no sense to me. I really get tired of seeing the Leafs play the same teams over and over again with little variation (and now the NHL has suggested the playoffs start out with those same teams... anyway my bias). I can see a need for teams from all the divisions making it to the playoffs, but not getting ranked 1,2,3

Personally I am in favor of the top 16 teams in the league getting in no matter which conference, division etc and starting there. Could produce some interesting match ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad