Divisional Rivalries

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
List off your ranking of teams 1 through 7 and an explanation.

1. Montreal - after knocking them off in 5 in the 2013 playoffs, the Habs have been out for vengeance ever since. The 2 preseason games were very intense as both teams showed they have no love for one another. Subban wants to show the world he is the best defensemen and knocking Karlsson off his throne Is what he seeks to accomplish.

2. Toronto - Yeah maybe the majority of the players from the playoff series back in the 00's no longer play for either team, the fans on both sides still remember the intense, physical cutthroat hockey that was played. Those 2 goals by Joe Nieuwendyk still haunt me to this day, and recently the hit by Kadri on Ceci on the end boards could be a trigger to the young generation of players having the same passion to reignite the battle of Ontario.

3. Detroit. - The Wings have only been in our division for 2 seasons but the fact remains they stole our longest serving captain in franchise history brings a small pain to our hearts. Also with McLean being an ex assistant coach with Babcock I'm sure he has a chip on his shoulder to show up his old team.

4. Tampa Bay - Tampa Bay is a young dangerous team who has a bright future. Unlike the other team in Florida, they have a good fan base and also our ex goalie Ben Bishop who we arguably gave up for nothing. To be a top team in the Atlantic, Tampa is a team we're going to have to beat each encounter we have with them.

5. Buffalo - The Sabres were the first team we played against in the playoffs and the first rivalry we had. Yashin vs. Hasek made for some good games as well as all the grinding checkers they would bring at us. The rivalry reignited in 2007 when Emery took on Martin Biron and Andrew Peters in the 2nd half of the year before meeting them in the ECF and knocking them off in 5 to go to the cup finals. With our ex assistant GM Tim Murray jumping ship for Buffalo there is now a sibling battle at the top when these two play to prove who has the better team.

6. Boston - I wanted to put the Bruins higher up but after the Bruins won the cup in 2011 with Character and Kelly I think we can safely say we were more upset with our management letting Big Z go as oppose to Boston scooping him up. Although the Bruins are an original six I just don't see much of a story line between these two teams. With the new standings format maybe if we meet the Bruins in the playoffs a rivalry will be born.

7. Florida - Crickets. IF the Panthers move to Quebec City that would be cool.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Just a reminder that none of these teams or fanbases have a rivalry with us, we only have a rivalry with them.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
For me personally in terms of which teams I hate more and would prefer to beat:

1 - Toronto
2 - Montreal
3 - Detroit
4 - Boston
5 - Buffalo
6 - Florida
7 - Tampa Bay

In terms of on ice rivalries? I'm not really sure. Obviously Montreal right now would be #1 given our recent history, and Toronto #2 because of historical and geographical rivalry...but other than that I don't think there's too much bad blood.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Easily this:

Toronto
Montreal
Boston
everyone else

The fact is we don't really have rivalries against Tampa, Florida, Buffalo (used to, but not currently) and Detroit.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
If ranking teams by how much I would enjoy senators beating them (no explanation, just how I feel):

Montreal
Toronto
Boston
Detroit
Buffalo
Tampa
Florida

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Just a reminder that none of these teams or fanbases have a rivalry with us, we only have a rivalry with them.

Also Toronto fan base doesn't have a rivalry with us? Have you ever been to a Sens Leafs game? Drunk brawls are Commonplace throughout the arena.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The Habs these past few years have been free wins, a free playoff round so I don't consider them a rival. It's like what Toronto was post lockout for us.

But I will admit it's fun to read the Habs board after they inevitably lose to us.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Toronto
Montreal

Buffalo

That's it

Yep.

I think playoff series really spark rivalries, along with geography. Boston is a potential rivalry if we met them in the playoffs a couple of times. Maybe Detroit too. I doubt the Florida teams would ever be true rivals even if they beat us in the playoffs.

Some of what people are adding is there is own dislikes. That's not the same as real world rivalries. For example, lockout and trade discussions have made me hope the Oilers lose every game - but thats the fans on HF and it's not a real world thing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In my opinion, a rivalry requires a competitive playoff series to really get going.

Considering how one-sided the 5-game rout of Montreal was, I don't think it really counts.

They certainly still seem pretty steamed about it.

The last real rivalry we had was with Buffalo in the 2006-2008 era, and before that, with the Leafs.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal is the only one atm. Habs fans may not consider us a rival but deep down they know that we embarrassed their franchise and want to seek revenge

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
No one mentioning Pittsburgh? I guess whenever we've faced them in the playoffs we didnt really expect to win, so we didnt get steamed about the loss enough to feel like its a rivalry? Plus, they are kinda like Edmonton for me in that i just dislike them so much i want to see them lose every game.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
In my opinion, a rivalry requires a competitive playoff series to really get going.

Considering how one-sided the 5-game rout of Montreal was, I don't think it really counts.

They certainly still seem pretty steamed about it.

The last real rivalry we had was with Buffalo in the 2006-2008 era, and before that, with the Leafs

That sounds right.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
i'll go with the Leafs. i didn't hate the Sabres when they were a rival, and the Montreal one is momentary due to the recent single series but it may grow later.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Still rank the laffs higher than the habs as well as the pens (even though they aren't in division) on the rivalry list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad