Division Setup- time for a change

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
Charlotte is screwed playing in the Western Conference. Given some ever changing teams based upon NHL affiliation would it be better to scrap the conferences and division or would a realignment still be possible?

the main problem is the number of teams playing in the northeast. It seems every year or other year a new team moves closer to the east coast.

Number of teams west of the Rockies- 1
Number of teams west of the Mississippi-5
Number of teams in the Northeast- 15 or so

this situation is even worse than the NHL.

here's what I'm thinking (assuming realignment is the option)
Move Iowa into West
Move Lake Erie to Midwest
Move Syracuse to the North
Move Charlotte to the East

stil doesn't do much for about a third of the league but this way you have one less team traveling 3 time zones to play in the same division

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Charlotte is an outpost city, regardless of playing in the Western or Eastern Conference.

Charlotte is in the West Division with the Texas and OKC teams. Last season it was called the South. In 2011-12, they played in the Midwest division with Milwaukee, Chicago etc. The year before that, they played in the East Division with the NY and PA teams.

I believe that the AHL is trying to spread the pain and cost of traveling to Charlotte. They have a major airport and relatively easy travel by air. The Eastern is more of a bus league. Charlotte to Glens Falls is 820 miles, a 12 hour drive or 2 hour flight. Milwaukee to Charlotte is 855 miles, 13 hours or a 2 hour flight. The Glens Falls air fare is about $500, from Milwaukee about $400. Cleveland is 430 miles or about 8 hours from Milwaukee. It is the longest trip that the Admirals ever take by bus. They seem to lose every time, probably because the players are tired before they start the game.

While your ideas have merit, I am not sure that it will do the league much good until they get another team or two closer to Charlotte.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Charlotte is an outpost city, regardless of playing in the Western or Eastern Conference.

Charlotte is in the West Division with the Texas and OKC teams. Last season it was called the South. In 2011-12, they played in the Midwest division with Milwaukee, Chicago etc. The year before that, they played in the East Division with the NY and PA teams.

I believe that the AHL is trying to spread the pain and cost of traveling to Charlotte. They have a major airport and relatively easy travel by air. The Eastern is more of a bus league. Charlotte to Glens Falls is 820 miles, a 12 hour drive or 2 hour flight. Milwaukee to Charlotte is 855 miles, 13 hours or a 2 hour flight. The Glens Falls air fare is about $500, from Milwaukee about $400. Cleveland is 430 miles or about 8 hours from Milwaukee. It is the longest trip that the Admirals ever take by bus. They seem to lose every time, probably because the players are tired before they start the game.

While your ideas have merit, I am not sure that it will do the league much good until they get another team or two closer to Charlotte.

It's not like the Admirals are lights out against Lake Erie at home. :laugh: I presume that they go to Cleveland the day before (or maybe even two days before) so "being tired" likely isn't the answer in that case.

That being said, your cost analysis is one of the reasons Charlotte is (and will likely stay) in the west.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I would have to think, and I could be wrong, but Rochester will be the first team to move to the eastern conference. They already play an east heavy schedule anyway.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
The division and conference alignment has ZERO to do with the scheduling. It only matters when the playoffs start. I think this is the first year Chicago is playing Rochester in like 4 years and cross conference has been absent for what, 8 years?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It's not like the Admirals are lights out against Lake Erie at home. :laugh: I presume that they go to Cleveland the day before (or maybe even two days before) so "being tired" likely isn't the answer in that case.

That being said, your cost analysis is one of the reasons Charlotte is (and will likely stay) in the west.

Yes, Milwaukee leaves the day before games in Cleveland. Maybe they should leave a day sooner. Eight hours of rolling time is still a long trip.

This season, Milwaukee had two or three days off before the trip to Cleveland. They played at Cleveland on Friday Jan 3 and Saturday Jan 4 and lost both. They hosted LEM on Sunday January 12 and won, scoring a season high 6 goals. LEM plays at Chicago on the Wednesday March 26th and then travels the 90 miles to Milwaukee for the final game on Friday the 28th.

Previous to the January 12th game at Milwaukee, LEM played 2 at Rockford. They lost both, then traveled the 90 miles to Milwaukee for the Sunday game. It think that the shorter trip helps the Monsters out when playing in Milwaukee. The travel may be the same distance both ways, but it isn't symmetric in terms of the schedule.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The division and conference alignment has ZERO to do with the scheduling. It only matters when the playoffs start. I think this is the first year Chicago is playing Rochester in like 4 years and cross conference has been absent for what, 8 years?

I has been 7 years since Milwaukee hosted Rochester on Jan 19, 2007. It never bothered me until Rochester traveled down to Texas last season for some games. Milwaukee played at Albany on Friday December 1, 2006. It was part of a 10 game, 18 day road trip. That was the last Eastern Conference team that I remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad