Diving

cimindri

Oct 31, 2010
Section 216
I don't agree with this 100% but it does touch on what I'd like to actually see. A penalty is a penalty and if a player gets hooked he gets hooked. If he oversells it, it's an embellishment, and I don't mind seeing both get taken.

What I never see is a player get called ONLY for diving. That's what actually needs to happen.

and Erat delivers...:(

edit: wow...I need a new avatar!

Last edited:

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013
I dislike diving but I actually think the reason we see so much of it lately is because of the league's finer and finer definitions of penalties like interference or holding. It certainly opens up the game more but it also makes the referee's job harder while creating an environment ripe for "selling" a call.

It's almost like you have to decide what's worse: diving or clutch-and-grab hockey

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You don't have to choose between those two, review video after the fact, just like the department of player safety does. Incidents like Garbutt's ridiculous dive can easily be addressed without putting the onus on the refs who already have a hard enough job.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Apparently nothing the NHL has done has deterred Garbutt from being a diver...

But he also received three penalties for diving in March, and that’s something for which he doesn’t want to be known.

“You just have to adapt as the season goes on,†Garbutt said. “They don’t call as many penalties at this time of the year, so you work on that, you skate hard, and you don’t embellish. I think it’s something I’ll learn as I play more games in this league.â€

Garbutt was excellent at walking the line earlier in the season. He was among the Stars’ top players and allowed Dallas to be among the top teams in power-play opportunities. But somewhere in the middle, he stepped on the line. Maybe it was the excitement caused by helping the team. Maybe it was the desire to help the Stars get out of a 1-8-1 slump. But the result was Garbutt earned the reputation as a diver ... or at least a beginning diver.

And that’s not a reputation you want.
Dallas News March 31, 2014
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...-garbutt-shed-his-unflattering-reputation.ece

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad