Diving

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
So for those of you who may have missed the link the GDT, here is a gif of Ryan Garbutt's absolutely ridiculous dive that drew a penalty and subsequent goal from the Stars: Ryan Garbutt Dives

So while this of course sucked for the Coyotes, I'd be interested in hearing everyone's views on diving in general. Personally I think it's probably my single biggest issue with the NHL right now. I feel like they're not taking it seriously enough and it's hurting the game.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's on Murphy to not give him a chance to dive. And I'm sure he will go on the list and get fined. They're cracking down on that stuff this season.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Meh. Cheat to win if you can get away with it. I'd dive.
And I'd swing my stick right into your teeth for doing it but our cheesiness aside, I'm specifically asking your opinion on diving in the NHL or are you implying that you're ok with it?

I understand why players do it, I'm not blaming them I'm blaming the NHL for taking such a soft stance against. I'd like to see a concerted effort to take it out of the game. I know it'll never be completely gone but it could be noticeably reduced.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's on Murphy to not give him a chance to dive. And I'm sure he will go on the list and get fined. They're cracking down on that stuff this season.
I don't think a small fine is cracking down. The players and coaches will almost certainly consider them as the nothing more than the cost of doing business. I'd like to see players suspended, just like they do with the whole "player safety" business.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Hate it. This is hockey, not soccer. Unfortunately we have a notorious diver on the Coyotes who is a complete embarrassment every time he does it.

I like that the league is attempting to crack down on it, and there have been multiple embellishment calls made against other notorious divers (Marchand) but I do think punishment for repeat offenders needs to be a little more than a small fine. I think if a player has had three or more embellishment calls made against them in a certain amount of games, suspend them for a few games and get the message across.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I hate it and think they need to start punishing it. Having said that you get no points for not doing the same crap every other team does so until they decide to actually do something about it, dive away yotes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

And how may I ask he do that?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So for those of you who may have missed the link the GDT, here is a gif of Ryan Garbutt's absolutely ridiculous dive that drew a penalty and subsequent goal from the Stars: Ryan Garbutt Dives

So while this of course sucked for the Coyotes, I'd be interested in hearing everyone's views on diving in general. Personally I think it's probably my single biggest issue with the NHL right now. I feel like they're not taking it seriously enough and it's hurting the game.

I have seen worse, but I hate diving. Let it be a five minute major and the problem will cure itself.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Diving is the most significant cause for why I loathe world cup soccer and in this last cup key games were decided totally on people's acting abilities.

Likewise, I hate it in the NHL, think it is an integrity of the game type issue, and I think it has been on the increase due to more European players and due to the reduction of on-ice policing of nonsense (in a former age Garbutt would have received a beat down).

Since the policing of such things has gone bureaucratic, I am glad the NHL is cracking down a little bit but would desire the penalties be increased until which time that garbage has been eliminated.

As to the Coyotes doing it, it does not endear me to personnel such as Smitty who like to blow up into a million flailing appendages every time someone taps him and I would prefer to win right than to win at all cost.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I was there, but at the far end of the rink up high, so never saw this... best apart about it is he appears to chop Korpi on the shoulder right before the dive.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I have seen worse, but I hate diving. Let it be a five minute major and the problem will cure itself.
I don't think that would work, refs are already reluctant as hell to call diving much less if the call was made into a 5 minute major. Plus in the case of Garbutt, the refs missed the dive anyway and actually called Murphy. Instead I think someone reviews the video and verifies the blatant dive after the fact (sort of like Shanaban/Pronger and player safety) and hands down punishment accordingly.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Hate it. It has no place in the game.

Stop the 2 for hooking 2 for diving. It's either a hook or a dive.

Fining multimillionaires pocket change won't affect it. Punishing them with on-ice consequences will.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think that would work, refs are already reluctant as hell to call diving much less if the call was made into a 5 minute major. Plus in the case of Garbutt, the refs missed the dive anyway and actually called Murphy. Instead I think someone reviews the video and verifies the blatant dive after the fact (sort of like Shanaban/Pronger and player safety) and hands down punishment accordingly.

I think they have to have the punishment during the game, not after. It has to have immediate consequences. If the players know it is five minute major, they may think twice before they do it.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be

Fining multimillionaires pocket change won't affect it. Punishing them with on-ice consequences will.

I would like to see that too. Another option might be to cancel both minors, and give the diver a 10 minute misconduct.

Another option is make diving a double minor if they are going to penalize both players.

And have a weekly player safety type message presenting this week's divers adding suspensions after so many.

Hated that dive in particular....reminds me of the worst dive.....Holmstrom's reverse tackle of himself against Aucoin in game 7 when the game was still in reach...

AZ 4th Liner

Nov 5, 2014

The bigger issue here is that it is changing games. That particular call changed the momentum of the game and was simply bad. You can say that it was a game changer.

No place for it in hockey.

I do not agree on the statement that if you are not cheating you are not trying. If my kids told that to me about their sports or school I have failed as a father!!!

Make the penalty way harsher!!!!

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think they have to have the punishment during the game, not after. It has to have immediate consequences. If the players know it is five minute major, they may think twice before they do it.
The refs rarely have the balls to call a 2 minute game misconduct for diving and you think they're going to hand out 5 minute majors? If they get it wrong, it would completely ruin a game and they know it. They'd put the whistles away even more than they already do. Just review the video and hand out suspensions.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
The refs rarely have the balls to call a 2 minute game misconduct for diving and you think they're going to hand out 5 minute majors? If they get it wrong, it would completely ruin a game and they know it. They'd put the whistles away even more than they already do. Just review the video and hand out suspensions.
Refs will adjust to whatever their employers tell 'em to adjust to. I remember hating third period officiating as refs would swallow their whistle. The league applied the right instruction/pressure and this has changed. If they want the refs to call 2 two minute minors or a major, misconduct, or whatever for embellishment, they can make it happen. Further, they are getting it wrong now and it is changing games. I'm good with doube-minors, majors, misconducts, off-ice suspensions, fines, automatic trade to Buffalo, whatever necessary to make the travashamockery that is diving go away.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
All they would have to do is threaten a 5-min major for anyone caught diving penalized at the beginning of the next game. You would never see a dive

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
It's ironic Smitty didn't appear to embellish the interference during the goal scored by the Flame who was standing on top of him.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

I don't agree with this 100% but it does touch on what I'd like to actually see. A penalty is a penalty and if a player gets hooked he gets hooked. If he oversells it, it's an embellishment, and I don't mind seeing both get taken.

What I never see is a player get called ONLY for diving. That's what actually needs to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad