Discussion: Coach Willie Desjardins | V

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The only good thing about Willie is that this will be the last season we have to suffer through him.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
from my experience as a canucks fan the most important thing ur coach can do is 2 really basic things and one that makes u win championships

the first two are

make ur players play their hardest
make ur players comprhend the ttiny details and why theyre done

and the other is the coach alone.

can he look at the other team and know how to exploit their weakness and adjust his own style to combat them.

AV didnt have it. Willie doesnt have it.

willie is like the coach toews and kane had before Q

Green is going to be our Q

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
There was nothing wrong with AVs planning; it's that he failed to adjust his "plan" when the opposing side took countermeasures.

agreed on the second half of that sentence.

i still think the crazy amount of offensive zone starts for the sedins did more harm than good, though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
First month of the Canuck season is heavily weighted to home games....if they don't come flying out of the gate and struggle, I'm not sure Willie lasts much beyond the American Thanksgiving, which is traditionally the time-frame when teams below the playoff bar are likely to stay there....did anyone else see the sea of empty seats for this game?....another season like last year, and this team could be playing in front of family and friends by the end of the season.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
First month of the Canuck season is heavily weighted to home games....if they don't come flying out of the gate and struggle, I'm not sure Willie lasts much beyond the American Thanksgiving, which is traditionally the time-frame when teams below the playoff bar are likely to stay there....did anyone else see the sea of empty seats for this game?....another season like last year, and this team could be playing in front of family and friends by the end of the season.

Opposition was the Yotes....even if it was a regular season game I wouldn't imagine there would've been alot of interest.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
http://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...stincts?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

“They talked to me and they want me to play more defensively,” Horvat said. “They want me to take a lot of the defensive zone draws, and have (the Sedins) take a lot of the offensive zone draws, along with (Granlund) and somebody like that.”

“I see Bo being able to play against the top lines, the (Ryan) Getzlafs and the (Jeff) Carter’s and the (Anze) Kopitars,” Desjardins said. “I don’t think you can call that a fourth-line role.

Yeah, this is really really damning stuff.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Willie just seems like that older guy at work that looks all clean cut etc and you think he will be a normal, nice guy - but then he turns out to be a weirdo who sits by himself and makes weird comments out of left field at lunch time. And you are like -what is that guy thinking and how does he even have a family or anyone that finds him actually credible?

The fact that in his third year Horvat is playing with Dorsett seems like the Canucks are trying to put the nail in the coffin that is Horvat's career. Do the Canucks just want Horvat to be as bad as possible? Is this a stress test for him and any fans just to mess with everyone? It's like just when you think the insanity couldn't reach a higher level the Canucks take you there.

I can't believe this trash. It's like the article was an April fool's joke but its October. Might as well make Tanev a water boy and put Sbisa on the first pair.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The only good thing about Willie is that this will be the last season we have to suffer through him.

Im worried now he could be damaging young guys like Bo or Gaunce. Maybr its good to keep Stetch far far away til Willies gone. Im more in favor of firing willie now then tanking for Patrick

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
holy **** i read the article and didnt see where he mentioned horvat shouldnt focus on scoring

holy mother of god we all need to jam the phonelines tommorow

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
this is guy is awful. you can't fix stupid. Horvat put up the most points in the 2nd half of last season. Let's make him into a grinder! Let's make Horvat have the worst +/- in the league again this season.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I don't think it's just Willie. Benning talked up how Sutter's offensive game would help shelter Horvat from needing to produce. He sees him as a 2nd line C that allows Horvat to play the hard minutes.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i have never seriously second guessed willie. but giving bo no offensive role and plumber wingers is going to cost him his job quickly. it is misusing a player and risking major player damage. oilers level dumb.

on the bright side it means he will line match...

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
I don't think it's just Willie. Benning talked up how Sutter's offensive game would help shelter Horvat from needing to produce. He sees him as a 2nd line C that allows Horvat to play the hard minutes.

yeah, it's not like there's any disconnect between coaching and management on how sutter and horvat should be deployed

it's all going according to 'plan' in the eyes of the organization

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

It's odd to hear Benning continue to refer to Sutter as the 2C considering Horvats point totals last year.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
There is no way this guy makes it past Christmas. He continues to make brain-dead decisions that can only make this crappy team perform even worse on the ice.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It's odd to hear Benning continue to refer to Sutter as the 2C considering Horvats point totals last year.

makes sense now, Benning is doing everything within his power to make his awful trades look good.

Granlund played decent in meaningless pre-season games? Hot damn time to play him as 2C!
:facepalm:

not that this is a first time occurrence - the countless confidence he gave Vey and Sbisa...Jesus

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Im worried now he could be damaging young guys like Bo or Gaunce. Maybr its good to keep Stetch far far away til Willies gone. Im more in favor of firing willie now then tanking for Patrick

Heh how can he damage Guance? He is a 4th liner playing on a higher line:P Horvat is true though.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Heh how can he damage Guance? He is a 4th liner playing on a higher line:P Horvat is true though.

Haha very true :laugh:

I mean i guess when everyones healthy he may bench Gaunce in favor of Dorset or worse put plugs like Dorset WITH Gaunce

Either way time for willie to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad