Discussion: Are we a Lottery Team?

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Interested to see what the bulk of fans here think, and get an idea of where fans think we will be drafting next year.

Do fans think we'll make the playoffs? Just miss? Bottom 10 team? Bottom 5?

Curious to see how this poll shapes up!

Team Odds of Winning Lottery
1. 20.0%
2. 13.5%
3. 11.5%
4. 9.5%
5. 8.5%
6. 7.5%
7. 6.5%
8. 6.0%
9. 5.0%
10. 3.5%
11. 3.0%
12. 2.5%
13. 2.0%
14. 1.0%

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
80-90 points so bottom 10, Miller folds with only one good pairing in front of him, Sedins Edler/Tanev can't carry this team alone

Bennin balks at moving Vrbata and Hamhuis,loses them for nothing

Eirhead*

Your guys' forums look oddly familiar to hfOilers from 2008-10 and 12-14. We got a bit optimistic in 2010 when Hall arrived, but then it was all doom and gloom again until the last set of lottery balls.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yes we are a lottery team. I voted bottom 10.

The bottom 4 teams probably have their spots more or less guaranteed:

Arizona
Toronto
New Jersey
Carolina

then the next group I have:

Buffalo
Vancouver
San Jose
Boston
Dallas
Philly

rounding out the bottom 10 in the league.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Your guys' forums look oddly familiar to hfOilers from 2008-10 and 12-14. We got a bit optimistic in 2010 when Hall arrived, but then it was all doom and gloom again until the last set of lottery balls.

I feel like an Oilers fan from back in those days. Inept management with a clear old boys club making stupid decisions, stripping the team of its assets. It's depressing.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why are these polls always divided this way, with hard and fast "in playoffs" or "out of playoffs" midpoints?

Where's the "bubble team" option...playoff line + or - a few spots?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I expect us to draft in that 8-12 range, so I'll go with 5-10 since one serious injury to a key player will guarantee a bottom 10 finish IMO.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Why are these polls always divided this way, with hard and fast "in playoffs" or "out of playoffs" midpoints?

I put just out of the playoffs. For me that's a bubble team but I'm not too confident of their chances.

They'll be in playoff race at the trade deadline, I'll just say that.

Eirhead*

I feel like an Oilers fan from back in those days. Inept management with a clear old boys club making stupid decisions, stripping the team of its assets. It's depressing.

Just brutal management. Maybe if you rent some billboards for the next 2 or 3 seasons you can get some change? :sarcasm::popcorn:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
2016 picks:

Top 5 (Natural Pick)
20-30 (Hamhuis)
20-30 (Vrbata)
2nd (Natural Pick)
2nd (Bieksa)

5 picks in the top 60. Make it happen, Benning

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010

Arizona
Toronto
New Jersey
Carolina

Buffalo
Vancouver
San Jose
Boston
Dallas
Philly

Teams like Buffalo or Philly are not even close to the Canucks. When 37 year old Mark Streit is by far your best defenseman you're in much worse shape than we are.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

I put just out of the playoffs. For me that's a bubble team but I'm not too confident of their chances.

They'll be in playoff race at the trade deadline, I'll just say that.

With the discussion being "are we a lottery team", I didn't really want to give a "bubble" option (if that makes sense).

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I'd say they're about an 84-90 point team. If they're far enough out that Benning sells -- which he should do regardless, but I digress -- the team slips a bit further and drafts around 6-8. That would be my best guess.

I had them making the post-season last year if healthy, so it's not needless doomsdaying either.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Assuming healthy Sedins...miss the playoffs but just barely.

Any sort of injury and it's plummet to near the bottom of the standings.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

Arizona
Toronto
New Jersey
Carolina

Buffalo
Vancouver
San Jose
Boston
Dallas
Philly

Theres basically 3 tiers of non-playoff teams.
- Teams that are tanking (Toronto/Arizona etc)
- Teams that are just bad (Philly)
- Teams that try to compete but will fail and barely miss playoffs (Boston/Vancouver)

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The thing is, so many of the major contributors to this team at forward are in their 30's. They're bound to continue to regress, however slowly, and the team had incredibly fortuitous results last year.

At 5v5 it was a middling group. With Matthias and Kassian gone, I don't see it getting better. I'd expect a team that's bottom 10-12 in offense and maybe 15-20th in G/A.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Teams like Buffalo or Philly are not even close to the Canucks. When 37 year old Mark Streit is by far your best defenseman you're in much worse shape than we are.

Buffalo is on the upswing, but they'll be dependent on how Lehner handles starting duties. A nice young core of Eichel, Kane, O'Reilly, and Ennis is very promising though.

Philly needs Mason to stay healthy to be better. I like their forward group and feel that will keep them out of the basement.

Or perhaps you're giving the Canucks too much credit...

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
I think we took major steps back this offseason. The organizational asset depth has declined significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad