Coach Discussion: Discuss Assistant Coaches

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
lol if this comes to pass then literally every single coaching hire on this team would have a prior TNSE/Winnipeg connection.

Baumgartner played for the Manitoba Moose. TNSE connection is there again.
I mean if the qualification for being linked to Winnipeg/TNSE is sometime in the last 35 years they just needed to have a cup of coffee in Winnipeg you can pretty much link anyone.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
So, even under the influence of alcohol, he still lied to you. What the f*** is the world coming to when you can't trust what someone says to you in a bar? :huh:
To be fair, he didn’t lie. I didn’t point blank ask him, just fished around to see what I could get him to admit to. I’ll see him again later in the summer, I’ll get to the bottom of it. Hahahaha

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I mean if the qualification for being linked to Winnipeg/TNSE is sometime in the last 35 years they just needed to have a cup of coffee in Winnipeg you can pretty much link anyone.

All these guys played multiple years for the Moose and have ties to TNSE,

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Aside from being a former Moose player, can anyone comment on Baumgartner’s actual coaching credentials? Just wondering what to expect in regards to both strengths and weaknesses.

Will there be a third assistant coach? If so, why not Mike Peca who is currently an assistant in the AHL with Buffalo’s farm team. Thought I heard he was interviewed for some NHL jobs recently.

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
Aside from being a former Moose player, can anyone comment on Baumgartner’s actual coaching credentials?

He was also an assistant coach under Travis Green who played on the same AHL team as Chevy :dunno:

Just glancing through Canucks fans thoughts and they seem to lay a lot of blame directly on Travis Green and Nolan Baumgartner while absolving their other coaches. Considering they went from .360 pts% to .649 pts% after firing Green and Baumgartner... They might have been onto something.

Some quotes from Canucks fans
ZQvDSgJ.png

4kW1JsY.png

dNeaCDh.png

There was also apparently a rant by a radio host about fans criticizing Baumgartner :dunno:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I may be in the minority but to me a blatant hire based solely or mainly on connection is if the person hasn't had success/experience in other markets. If Bowness was always an assistant, I would understand the criticism. I don't think Jets bring him in if he didn't have recent success in Dallas as head coach. And I don't think Dallas had a connection to him when they hired him. You gotta think a little more 3 dimensionally IMO.

Feel the same thing about the assistants. Hiring people with a connection who has worked allot in other markets is not necessarily a bad thing IMO

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I may be in the minority but to me a blatant hire based solely or mainly on connection is if the person hasn't had success/experience in other markets. If Bowness was always an assistant, I would understand the criticism. I don't think Jets bring him in if he didn't have recent success in Dallas as head coach. And I don't think Dallas had a connection to him when they hired him. You gotta think a little more 3 dimensionally IMO.

Feel the same thing about the assistants. Hiring people with a connection who has worked allot in other markets is not necessarily a bad thing IMO

Maurice, Huddy, Jamie, Vincent, the new Moose coach, Lowry were all outside hires. I don’t see Bowness as a loyalty hire since his tenure goes back to 1.0 era and it’s so far removed.

I think the issue up to this point is not about who they hire, it’s about not being aggressive enough in moving on from people that aren’t getting results.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Maurice, Huddy, Jamie, Vincent, the new Moose coach, Lowry were all outside hires. I don’t see Bowness as a loyalty hire since his tenure goes back to 1.0 era and it’s so far removed.

I think the issue up to this point is not about who they hire, it’s about not being aggressive enough in moving on from people that aren’t getting results.
Certainly agree in the context of coach`s/assistant coach`s. But then Chevy does not move aggressively on almost any decision.... . I`m getting increasingly concerned that he has decided to downplay the alleged dysfunction issues in the players dressing room, and will move very slow,if at all, to make player moves to rectify the issues. Chevy may have convinced himself that selecting Bowness as coach (noted for strengths in people management moreso than hockey management) is all that he has to do here.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Certainly agree in the context of coach`s/assistant coach`s. But then Chevy does not move aggressively on almost any decision.... . I`m getting increasingly concerned that he has decided to downplay the alleged dysfunction issues in the players dressing room, and will move very slow,if at all, to make player moves to rectify the issues. Chevy may have convinced himself that selecting Bowness as coach (noted for strengths in people management moreso than hockey management) is all that he has to do here.
When Chevy comes out and says this team cares about one another, or Comrie says it, it's not given any credence. But when an outsider says the team is dysfunctional people hop all over it. Nobody can state the nature of the dysfunction. Does Wheeler being a grumpy old dad put young players off? Seems like there is respect? Does Scheifele train too hard? And not try hard enough? Is Dubois too French for this team?
Does anyone really know?

What if the team does get along? But rebelled against their coach last year. That happens too.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
When Chevy comes out and says this team cares about one another, or Comrie says it, it's not given any credence. But when an outsider says the team is dysfunctional people hop all over it. Nobody can state the nature of the dysfunction. Does Wheeler being a grumpy old dad put young players off? Seems like there is respect? Does Scheifele train too hard? And not try hard enough? Is Dubois too French for this team?
Does anyone really know?

What if the team does get along? But rebelled against their coach last year. That happens too.
Your context here is a little unfair -don`t know what outsider comment you`re referring to?

You`ll notice I didn`t try to describe the nature of the dysfunction, nor did I try to connect to specific players, but it certainly goes well beyond whether the players" like" or "respect" one another. In my mind,the entire question of team leadership comes under scrutiny - including questions like whether the leaders/role models themselves are fully committed to the team; are willing to make sacrifices for the team and their teammates; and, are willing to set aside individual aspirations to further team goals. And of course, the question of how the locker room itself really functions - does it allow for and value expression/opinion by the younger players?

By the way, rebelling against the coach by performing poorly on-ice would be the very best indication of a dysfunctional locker room, imo !

Reactions: voyageur

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Your context here is a little unfair -don`t know what outsider comment you`re referring to?

You`ll notice I didn`t try to describe the nature of the dysfunction, nor did I try to connect to specific players, but it certainly goes well beyond whether the players" like" or "respect" one another. In my mind,the entire question of team leadership comes under scrutiny - including questions like whether the leaders/role models themselves are fully committed to the team; are willing to make sacrifices for the team and their teammates; and, are willing to set aside individual aspirations to further team goals. And of course, the question of how the locker room itself really functions - does it allow for and value expression/opinion by the younger players?

By the way, rebelling against the coach by performing poorly on-ice would be the very best indication of a dysfunctional locker room, imo !
I haven't seen a shred of hard (or even semi-hard) evidence that any dysfunction actually exists.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
murat says he would not be surprised if matt prefontaine if brought back as video coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad