Coach Discussion: Discuss Assistant Coaches

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
We have a new HC in Rick B, let’s discuss potential assistant coaches, who and what roles each could fill on the coaching staff.

Who has Rick worked with and hired in the past? Are they available now?

Guessing Scott A will be one of them, but what role?

Reactions: sipowicz

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
His assistants last year were John Stevens, Derek Laxdal and Todd Nelson. I would guess one of them at least comes with him. Maybe Stevens.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Arniel was responsible for the PK in Washington apparently. They were already a top 10 PK team before he got there and they marginally improved after Arniel was hired.

Top 10 in xGA from 15-16 through 17-18 (Pre-Arniel)
And
Top 10 in xGA from 18-19 through 21-22 (w/ Arniel)

Clearly didn't break what wasn't broken but can he pick up the pieces left of the Jets PK and assemble them into something more?

Edit: Assuming the earliest reports of True North hiring Arniel first are even true.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Would Brunette consider an assistant role now that all the HC positions in the league have been filled?

Reactions: irunthepeg

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Jim Toth said he expects Scott Arniel to join the coaching staff in Winnipeg.

Derek Laxdal coached with Bowness in Dallas and he’s from Stonewall, MB.

Todd Nelson coached with Bowness in Dallas. And he was an assistant coach with the Chicago Wolves when Cheveldayoff was the team’s GM.

So there’s a few Manitoba/TNSE connections that were on his staff.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
detriot has a coach, named lalonde yesterday

Is that official?

Edit: So the only reason we were not the dead last team to name a new coach was because of a last minute firing in SJ? Sheesh!
And SJS could still beat us, since Bowness is not official yet. :laugh:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Todd Nelson coached with Bowness in Dallas. And he was an assistant coach with the Chicago Wolves when Cheveldayoff was the team’s GM.

Brad Lauer current head coach of the Edmonton Oil Kings. He and Bowness were associate coaches on Tampa Bay

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We have a new HC in Rick B, let’s discuss potential assistant coaches, who and what roles each could fill on the coaching staff.

Who has Rick worked with and hired in the past? Are they available now?

Guessing Scott A will be one of them, but what role?

Good question. Arniel has typically overseen the forwards and run the PK. I'd guess he would have a similar role here if hired.

What a Bowness team will need is a PP guy and a guy that counterbalance the defensive mindness of the coach.

Having a strong dzone system is good but this team is a rush team and not a chip and chase team. He needs someone on his staff that can facilitate that otherwise he will have issues.

Reactions: Hunter368

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Good question. Arniel has typically overseen the forwards and run the PK. I'd guess he would have a similar role here if hired.

What a Bowness team will need is a PP guy and a guy that counterbalance the defensive mindness of the coach.

Having a strong dzone system is good but this team is a rush team and not a chip and chase team. He needs someone on his staff that can facilitate that otherwise he will have issues.
Arniel and Housley running the PP .

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It's a very good thing if Todd Nelson, John Stevens and Derek Laxdal join Bowness as assistants because they could take his place and they all have good track records. Or at least two out of the three of them.

But I imagine Scott Arniel could likely be added.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
It's a very good thing if Todd Nelson, John Stevens and Derek Laxdal join Bowness as assistants because they could take his place and they all have good track records. Or at least two out of the three of them.

But I imagine Scott Arniel could likely be added.
John Stevens signed with Vegas a couple days ago.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Todd Nelson is a guy who maybe the Jets would be interested in. I was impressed watching Heiskanen and Klingberg get a lot of green lights to carry play for Dallas.

Stu Barnes is someone he has worked with who has some connection to the Jets organization, at least in its first incarnation.

I suspect Scott Arniel is still a choice for associate coach. He played under Bowness.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

lol if this comes to pass then literally every single coaching hire on this team would have a prior TNSE/Winnipeg connection.

Baumgartner played for the Manitoba Moose. TNSE connection is there again.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Monty9

Jul 5, 2021
lol if this comes to pass then literally every single coaching hire on this team would have a prior TNSE/Winnipeg connection.

You can drop “Fueled by Passion“ and add “Committed to Mediocrity“.

Reactions: macmaroon

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

Oh for sure. Given how TNSE usually operates, I’m throwing out ideas who they might hire. Not who I’d like to see.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad