OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Cuatro

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
that happens in heated environments across many sports though right? Players getting IVs for dehydration, etc….

The goaltender example is indeed pretty extreme….hate to see that.

A responsible governing body will provide water breaks and other allowances to try and mitigate heat related problems. At least these days.

You also generally won't die or lose body parts within minutes just from standing in the heat. You may get sunburned or sweat but your skin won't melt. Extreme cold can just flat out kill or maim you for standing there.

This was also very, very rare soccer weather. If the windchill was -17 at the end of the game as has been reported it would've been one of the coldest games of all time. A real outlier. A similarly fluky hot weather match would probably have to be well above 100 degrees and probably a heat index even higher.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
well they weren’t calling the playing surface unsafe in Canada….small distinction. I mean, unless I missed that.

If the playing surface was deemed unsafe they wouldn’t have played the game. Fields are inspected beforehand for safety.

The press speculating on something they don’t actually know anything about doesn’t mean anything.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If the playing surface was deemed unsafe they wouldn’t have played the game. Fields are inspected beforehand for safety.

The press speculating on something they don’t actually know anything about doesn’t mean anything.

Again the reporting was that the TEAM/COACHES were concerned about the field. That's what I heard. If they were concerned for no reason that's another issue.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Maybe you're OK winning like that but I'm not. It's called sportsmanship and honor and respect. People not used to winning or afraid of the opposition resort to bullshit tricks and "gamesmanship".

You do realize we are talking about a sport where at the top level literally none of those things matter… ;)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Also not aware of Dale Hunter scheduling Caps games. News to me.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
First Man U gets upset now LC are down 2 quick goals to Forest

wtf

edit: now 3 in 30 min

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
CL returns today.

upload_2022-2-15_8-51-11.png

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Woooooow Mbaaaaaappe!

Splitting the defenders like that so quickly, he was due.

Haven't watched Messi recently. Clearly lost a step and easily caught from behind but skills as dangerous as ever, so even if you do catch him you probably aren't getting the ball away from him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Splitting the defenders like that so quickly, he was due.

Haven't watched Messi recently. Clearly lost a step and easily caught from behind but skills as dangerous as ever, so even if you do catch him you probably aren't getting the ball away from him.

yep…seems a little easier to collapse on, but damn he can dribble.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
A lot of attacking play in these first leg games, both days.

I wonder if removing the away goal rule is having an effect. If you're at home you don't have to be as worried about giving one up.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
A lot of attacking play in these first leg games, both days.

I wonder if removing the away goal rule is having an effect. If you're at home you don't have to be as worried about giving one up.
Seems like it would be the opposite? Away teams just pack it in and then try to win on their home turf. Madrid was definitely playing for a tie in Paris, especially after a certain point in the game.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Seems like it would be the opposite? Away teams just pack it in and then try to win on their home turf. Madrid was definitely playing for a tie in Paris, especially after a certain point in the game.

I think that was because they were in hostile grounds and a bit outmatched in terms of pace.

The in-game crew noted the aggressiveness in one or two of the matches.

With no weighted goal advantage, all things being equal you have to play to score as much as possible even up.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think that was because they were in hostile grounds and a bit outmatched in terms of pace.

The in-game crew noted the aggressiveness in one or two of the matches.

With no weighted goal advantage, all things being equal you have to play to score as much as possible even up.
It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. I’m not making any declarative statements this early but let’s play it out this way: if you have a league game on a Saturday or Sunday and then an away CL game in a different country on Tuesday or Wednesday followed by another league game the following weekend, and away goals no longer hold weight, are you really going to field your best squad and play a pressing and attacking style mid-week as the away side? My initial instinct says probably not, unless your place in your league table is so secure that you can afford to play subs in one or both of those games.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. I’m not making any declarative statements this early but let’s play it out this way: if you have a league game on a Saturday or Sunday and then an away CL game in a different country on Tuesday or Wednesday followed by another league game the following weekend, and away goals no longer hold weight, are you really going to field your best squad and play a pressing and attacking style mid-week as the away side? My initial instinct says probably not, unless your place in your league table is so secure that you can afford to play subs in one or both of those games.

OTOH both teams are on the same footing and aggregate goals matter, so you need to score as much as possible in both legs, not just survive the home match.

We'll see. Maybe I just watched the right matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad