WJC: Disappointing players at the World Junior Championship so far

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I will say that the second Canadian goalie didn't look that great yesterday either. Now, it's VERY hard to be good in a blowout and he looked amazing against the Czechs (10 for 10).

Reactions: Nevins

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Lambert and Kemell. Let's see against the US.
Perhaps even Hämeenaho? He's a complete non factor, not necessarily bad though.

Why Kemell when some finns are praising him? So far against weaker competition he's not been shining that much and i have to say that Oliver Kapanen, Huuhtanen and Nyman have "Outperformed" both Kemell and Lambert with ease.
Kemells role is to shine or at least produce, because he's two-way game isn't as good as others, for example Kapanens.
We won't stand a chance against the top teams if he doesn't start being a factor for real.
I’ve liked Kemell so far. But Nyman to me has been a real stand out, big guy who can skate and shoot and engages physically. Definitely NHL player of the future in some capacity

Reactions: Svedu

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Don't know to be honest, but i do know i expect a whole lot more.
A poster (so not exactly a great source) said they could see him saying on the bench I can't breath or something like that. Makes me wonder if he's battling an infection of some sort in the lungs. Jiricek had this problem in summer with covid. Svozil and Spacek both had something in exhibition. That's all. We all know Kemell is a beast!

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
So as a former Canucks fan I recall the team drafting a few WJC studs, almost superstars for their production at their position really. Those players were Hodgson, Schroeder and Juolevi. How'd that work out?

But then they also drafted WJC busts in Pettersson and Horvat.

Almost...almost as though basing the future potential of a player based on a 2 week tournament isn't the metric for success people think it is

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I’ve liked Kemell so far. But Nyman to me has been a real stand out, big guy who can skate and shoot and engages physically. Definitely NHL player of the future in some capacity
The thing with Kemell is i don't see a whole lot of development going on these last 1, 1 & 1/2 or even 2 years.
He was a bit of a standout against his peers before and now he's just? Good?
But that doesn't cut it for me. The gap towards others prospects are a lot smaller than before. That means he hasn’t took enough steps in his development, for me at least.

Suomi has been bad in this tournament.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Skating was a knock on him around the draft.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
So as a former Canucks fan I recall the team drafting a few WJC studs, almost superstars for their production at their position really. Those players were Hodgson, Schroeder and Juolevi. How'd that work out?

But then they also drafted WJC busts in Pettersson and Horvat.

Almost...almost as though basing the future potential of a player based on a 2 week tournament isn't the metric for success people think it is
Thanks for stating the obvious? This is a thread about players that have disappointed in this tournament relative to expectations so far in the eyes of particular posters. Nothing more. I don’t see people making grand statements about whether they are busts as prospects.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Thanks for stating the obvious? This is a thread about players that have disappointed in this tournament relative to expectations so far in the eyes of particular posters. Nothing more. I don’t see people making grand statements about whether they are busts as prospects.
Hey thanks for stating the obvious.

What you're failing to realize thoguh is how many people use the WJC as the metric for whether a player will rise/fall in a draft or if their D+1 is somehow in question.

There's been a number of players that have "disappointed" thus far and even more that have been stand outs and have been enjoyable to watch. This happens on a game by game basis on world junior stage.

Fantilli has been questionable for Canada. Stankoven has been given some questionable regards but to me has looked dangerous. Canucks draft pick Lekkereimaki has looked far better in the WJ than he has at this stage in his regular league. Svozil looked unstoppable with Spacek. Ostlund looks totally snakebitten but has been very dangerous

Sandin-Pelikka is going to be a top D pick this year and how he's looked thus far at the WJC means he may even move much further up the draft than many thought.

Vilen has been disappointing thus far for me. 5th round pick or not; I expected a lot more from him based on his play in the mens league back home. Reichle I expected more from so far but he's not playing on a great team. probably the most disappointing for me so far is Heimosalmi. I was incredibly high on him in the draft and loved the pick the canes made with him but thus far he seems like such a passenger and with his skating ability it's entirely confusing because he should be a total force right now.

How's that? better?

Reactions: thrillhous

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006

What you're failing to realize thoguh is how many people use the WJC as the metric for whether a player will rise/fall in a draft or if their D+1 is somehow in question.

There's been a number of players that have "disappointed" thus far and even more that have been stand outs and have been enjoyable to watch. This happens on a game by game basis on world junior stage.

Fantilli has been questionable for Canada. Stankoven has been given some questionable regards but to me has looked dangerous. Canucks draft pick Lekkereimaki has looked far better in the WJ than he has at this stage in his regular league. Svozil looked unstoppable with Spacek. Ostlund looks totally snakebitten but has been very dangerous

Sandin-Pelikka is going to be a top D pick this year and how he's looked thus far at the WJC means he may even move much further up the draft than many thought.

Vilen has been disappointing thus far for me. 5th round pick or not; I expected a lot more from him based on his play in the mens league back home. Reichle I expected more from so far but he's not playing on a great team. probably the most disappointing for me so far is Heimosalmi. I was incredibly high on him in the draft and loved the pick the canes made with him but thus far he seems like such a passenger and with his skating ability it's entirely confusing because he should be a total force right now.

How's that? better?
In respect of the bolded I have no idea why you would think that I don’t realize that. As for whether it is foolish for some to use the WJC as a metric (or the metric) or not I say who cares. Let them. I don’t understand posters who always want to rain on people’s parade - this is just for fun and the stakes are not high. Also, thanks for adding your takes on who is playing well and who isn’t thus far. It made the thread better.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
In respect of the bolded I have no idea why you would think that I don’t realize that. As for whether it is foolish for some to use the WJC as a metric (or the metric) or not I say who cares. Let them. I don’t understand posters who always want to rain on people’s parade - this is just for fun and the stakes are not high. Also, thanks for adding your takes on who is playing well and who isn’t thus far. It made the thread better.
I never suggested you yourself didn't realize that; just that people do it. Including GMs and NHL scouts. It's the paralysis of analysis as they say.

I have a few concerns about a number of D+1 players thus far in the tournament as well as their regular league play as of this point in time of the tournament but with only 2 games played it's more than premature. I also have a few players who have flown so far under the radar I am more than pleased to see playing the way they are at the 2/3 game mark.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I don't know if I've been disappointed by Dvorsky, but I've definitely been whelmed so far.

Maybe it's for the best though, if Montreal winds up with a pick between 5-10 then maybe we can grab him for an all Slovak line.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

How's that? better?
What did you expect from Vilén exactly? More points?

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Lambert and Kemell. Let's see against the US.
Perhaps even Hämeenaho? He's a complete non factor, not necessarily bad though.

Why Kemell when some finns are praising him? So far against weaker competition he's not been shining that much and i have to say that Oliver Kapanen, Huuhtanen and Nyman have "Outperformed" both Kemell and Lambert with ease.
Kemells role is to shine or at least produce, because he's two-way game isn't as good as others, for example Kapanens.
We won't stand a chance against the top teams if he doesn't start being a factor for real.
Kemell finished 2nd in the points standings at the 2022 WJC. Normally, he should dominate...

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Exactly

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
What did you expect from Vilén exactly? More points?
I expected to see him directing the flow of the play a bit more. Not points in general but more of a dominant presence on the ice. He is always so calm and composed and his skating is so fun to watch. Thus far for me watching him, he looks almost disinterested?

Maybe that isn't the right word or term; but to me thus far his play just seems to be that of a person showing up to work waiting to punch out. He's not been bad I just anticipated a lot more from him at the 3 game mar. The Finnish team was never going to be an exceptionally high scoring team in this tournament. But based on his play so far I wanted and expected a bit more from him in terms of general visibility

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I don't know if I've been disappointed by Dvorsky, but I've definitely been whelmed so far.

Maybe it's for the best though, if Montreal winds up with a pick between 5-10 then maybe we can grab him for an all Slovak line.
In his first game, he was ordinary but against the USA, he played very well. He is one of the youngest player in the tournament.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I expected to see him directing the flow of the play a bit more. Not points in general but more of a dominant presence on the ice. He is always so calm and composed and his skating is so fun to watch. Thus far for me watching him, he looks almost disinterested?

Maybe that isn't the right word or term; but to me thus far his play just seems to be that of a person showing up to work waiting to punch out. He's not been bad I just anticipated a lot more from him at the 3 game mar. The Finnish team was never going to be an exceptionally high scoring team in this tournament. But based on his play so far I wanted and expected a bit more from him in terms of general visibility
I mean devils fans in general have been very happy with what we’ve seen from him. He’s not a flashy or overly noticeable player from what I’ve seen, not a puck rusher or somebody who’s overly up in the offense. He’s a solid skater, defender and puck mover and that’s what he’s been in this tournament. He’s playing like 27+ minutes a game, defending well, moving the puck well on the powerplay and moving pucks up the ice.
The only thing he hasn’t been able to do as well as I’ve seen him do before is get shots through. He has a good shot but he hasn’t been able to get it on net enough in the 3 games so far.

Reactions: Svedu and Warh1ppy

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I mean devils fans in general have been very happy with what we’ve seen from him. He’s not a flashy or overly noticeable player from what I’ve seen, not a puck rusher or somebody who’s overly up in the offense. He’s a solid skater, defender and puck mover and that’s what he’s been in this tournament. He’s playing like 27+ minutes a game, defending well, moving the puck well on the powerplay and moving pucks up the ice.
The only thing he hasn’t been able to do as well as I’ve seen him do before is get shots through. He has a good shot but he hasn’t been able to get it on net enough in the 3 games so far.
That's just it. Because of what I've seen from him so far outside of the WJC I kind of expected more on this stage

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad