WJC: Disappointing players at the World Junior Championship so far

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
1) After seeing him play 4 games, I'm not impressed with Fantilli. I question his hockey IQ and his projection as a future 2 nd draft pick. But the tournament is young. 2) Benjamin Gaudreau. He was weak on at least 2 goals and I wonder why a goalkeeper with such poor statistics (last 3 years) finds himself in this tournament. There were so many better candidates?3) The softness of Canada's defence?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Fabian Lysell was pretty mediocre considering Sweden won with two digits and and normally a guy like that would have walked off the ice with 3-4 points in such a game.

They say he has matured a lot playing AHL hockey, but still seeing those often pointless solo-raids (especially on the man advantage) not resulting in anything of value. He should pass the puck earlier/quicker.

So, while technically maybe not a disappointment, I hope Lysell plays better in the coming games.

TonsofPuppies

Send in the clowns...
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Fantilli and Stankoven have been brutal so far and I don't mean just the first real game against Czechia, but the entire pre-tournament as well. Complete and utter no-shows and yet, they're still stapled at the hip. The Canadian coach, who hasn't had the team ready to "start on time" once in the 4 games they've played might be the biggest disappointment of all.

Reactions: Nevins and BHD

TonsofPuppies

Send in the clowns...
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
1) After seeing him play 4 games, I'm not impressed with Fantilli. I question his hockey IQ and his projection as a future 2 nd draft pick. But the tournament is young. 2) Benjamin Gaudreau. He was weak on at least 2 goals and I wonder why a goalkeeper with such poor statistics (last 3 years) finds himself in this tournament. There were so many better candidates?3) The softness of Canada's defence?
I'm not understanding how you can be disappointed in a guy who played the same way he normally does - like ass. Be disappointed in the coaches / management for selecting him, but it seems unfair to criticize a guy who always sucks for sucking.

• Haha
Reactions: Nevins and Blueston

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Fantilli and Stankoven have been brutal so far and I don't mean just the first real game against Czechia, but the entire pre-tournament as well. Complete and utter no-shows and yet, they're still stapled at the hip. The Canadian coach, who hasn't had the team ready to "start on time" once in the 4 games they've played might be the biggest disappointment of all.

I think Stankoven has looked really dangerous at times and is the only one on that line that came to play. I'd like to see him with Bedard and see if they can create and get Wright with Guenther or Roy to set them up.

Reactions: jj cale

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Fabian Lysell was pretty mediocre considering Sweden won with two digits and and normally a guy like that would have walked off the ice with 3-4 points in such a game.

They say he has matured a lot playing AHL hockey, but still seeing those often pointless solo-raids (especially on the man advantage) not resulting in anything of value. He should pass the puck earlier/quicker.

So, while technically maybe not a disappointment, I hope Lysell plays better in the coming games.
agreed, he's a typical high skill guy that right now is too immature in using his talent, exposes the puck way too much in situations he doesn't need too and drives coaches nuts.

Still a ton of potential but he has alot he needs to work out in his current game.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Lambert and Kemell. Let's see against the US.
Perhaps even Hämeenaho? He's a complete non factor, not necessarily bad though.

Why Kemell when some finns are praising him? So far against weaker competition he's not been shining that much and i have to say that Oliver Kapanen, Huuhtanen and Nyman have "Outperformed" both Kemell and Lambert with ease.
Kemells role is to shine or at least produce, because he's two-way game isn't as good as others, for example Kapanens.
We won't stand a chance against the top teams if he doesn't start being a factor for real.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevins

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Lambert and Kemell. Perhaps even Heimosalmi and Vilen.

Why Kemell when some finns are praising him? So far against weaker competition he's not been shining that much and i have to say that Oliver Kapanen, Huuhtanen and Nyman have "Outperformed" both Kemell and Lambert with ease.
Kemells role is to shine or at least produce, because he's two-way game isn't as good as others, for example Kapanens.
We won't stand a chance against the top teams if he doesn't start being a factor for real.
Is it possible that Kemell has been sick and slowly recovering?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fantilli looks like a vg player when i focus on watching him, but can't seem to get any traction on this team so far. Scouts will be very confused if he continues in this vein for the WJC, then he goes back to MI and continues on as before.

Sounds a bit crazy, but the way he is playing right now reminds me of Joe Veleno. Looks the part, but nothing seems to end up happening, ultimately.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino