Kings Article: Director of Amateur Scouting Mark Yanetti Talks LA Kings and the 2016 Draft

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Ohh, how numerous boards beat up their GM's for passing on Kopitar.

Hindsight is 20/20.

As someone who was an HFB member back then, it wasn't hindsight. A lot of people were pissed that day when Kopitar was passed over. Especially SJ, Vancouver and Ottawa fans.

And why when anyone is critical of the Kings drafting in the 1st round do we get the "hindsight is 20/20". We can praise picks, but can't criticize?

I still believe we should have gotten more out of those picks, and it's more than fair to be critical of the staff, just as Yanetti kind of alluded to in the article.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As someone who was an HFB member back then, it wasn't hindsight. A lot of people were pissed that day when Kopitar was passed over. Especially SJ, Vancouver and Ottawa fans.

And why when anyone is critical of the Kings drafting in the 1st round do we get the "hindsight is 20/20". We can praise picks, but can't criticize?

I still believe we should have gotten more out of those picks, and it's more than fair to be critical of the staff, just as Yanetti kind of alluded to in the article.

I think it's fair to be critical, but I agree with what Damacles is saying too--it's not fair to be critical by citing the players picked after 'missed picks' because literally everyone has those issues.

I also agree they tried to get too cute in the first rounds for the most part. BUT--we will see how much they've learned from that shortly (probably not this draft but you know what I mean :laugh:)

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
This is a hockey forum, so critique comes with the territory. I think we can all agree we want what's best for the team, and for the team to succeed. The drafting has been real weak as of late, there's no getting around that.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone

Agree. Being apologetic for everything is dumb. Real fans appreciate the good and should be allowed to criticize mistakes.
I am certainly not gonna pretend that Gibson and Forbort were good draft selections.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
You can be critical all you want, but lets not act like poor drafts, are only unique to the Kings.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I think it's fair to be critical, but I agree with what Damacles is saying too--it's not fair to be critical by citing the players picked after 'missed picks' because literally everyone has those issues.

I also agree they tried to get too cute in the first rounds for the most part. BUT--we will see how much they've learned from that shortly (probably not this draft but you know what I mean :laugh:)

That's what I am getting at.

Nothing wrong with wanting more from Futa/Lombardi on drafting.

But if you're going to beat them up for every single star player passed up....Well

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Also when you trade a good number of your 1/2 round picks, the odds of you having a poor draft, are pretty darn good.

Which is what 2011-2014 is starting to look like(Minus Pearson).

Think of it this way, despite all the poor first round choices, what if Lombardi/Futa had passed on Doughty ?

The drafting from 2006-2010 directly impacted the Kings roster and helped win Two Cups.

Not upset about that at all.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Another thing to consider.

Lewis, Tuebert and Forbort were all players the Kings traded up in the draft to specifically draft.

I just think this scouting team has a difficult time evaluating first round talent.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Also when you trade a good number of your 1/2 round picks, the odds of you having a poor draft, are pretty darn good.

Which is what 2011-2014 is starting to look like(Minus Pearson).

Think of it this way, despite all the poor first round choices, what if Lombardi/Futa had passed on Doughty ?

The drafting from 2006-2010 directly impacted the Kings roster and helped win Two Cups.

Not upset about that at all.

Andreoff-Kings Roster Player
Shore-Kings Roster Player
Mersch-Potential Roster Player

Pearson-Kings Roster Player
Prokhorkin-KHL
Miller-Traded

Zykov-Traded
Auger-Prospect
Fasching-Traded

Kempe-Potential Roster Player
McKeown-Traded
Lintuniemi-Prospect
Amadio-Could be a gem

But yes those trades deleted our depth in the minors and they haven't been replenished...

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Another thing to consider.

Lewis, Tuebert and Forbort were all players the Kings traded up in the draft to specifically draft.

I just think this scouting team has a difficult time evaluating first round talent.

I think that was what Mark Yanetti was referring to when he said they drafted for a need rather than sticking to the script and selecting the best player available...

Lewis was drafted based on reports he could be Rod Brind'Amour 2.0 but his scoring never took off

Tuebert was selecting hoping he would be that physical dman we sorely needed at a time our D core was in shambles

Forbort was drafted for need as he and Tarasenko where the 2 best available talents..we chose a defenseman and thats that.....

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I think that was what Mark Yanetti was referring to when he said they drafted for a need rather than sticking to the script and selecting the best player available...

Lewis was drafted based on reports he could be Rod Brind'Amour 2.0 but his scoring never took off

Tuebert was selecting hoping he would be that physical dman we sorely needed at a time our D core was in shambles

Forbort was drafted for need as he and Tarasenko where the 2 best available talents..we chose a defenseman and thats that.....

That was an all Al Murray draft pick. Even DL wasn't sold but he went along with it because he had no other choice 2 months into the job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad